Roon remote on android cannot see or connect to roon core (New Setup)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Running roon for eval on win10 laptop, Dell XPS system.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All devices are hanging off a dlink COVR wifi AP. All on the same IP subnet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Not part of this issue.

Description Of Issue

I installed the roon remote app on android phone.

Mostly, it cannot find roon core at all.
Once it did find roon core, but could not connect to it.

Where to chase?

Hi @ra_ki,

What kind of Android device is this?

Do other remotes have trouble connecting?

What wifi band is this using?

Android device: Sony experia cell phone, about 2 years old.

Other remotes: Have not tried any others yet. (This was my first test)
— I will try to grab a windows tablet, but that might not be until tomorrow.

What wifi band: Ummmm, not sure. OK, I see that the roon core is on a system on 5ghz, channel 36. I can see that the android device is also on the same 5ghz wifi. (the two devices are right here on the table with me. the AP is line of sight, 12 feet away with no walls or obstructions)

Thanks, and let me know how I can help!

1 Like

Hi @ra_ki,

Please do let us know if other Roon remotes are impacted by this issue or if it is just the Android device.

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both
Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions
to your Windows firewall.

Will do.

I am surprised yall don’t have a kb with powershell to open exactly the right ports to the roon pieces.

It is kludgy I have to do it by hand, and that I have to open all ports to those exes. That is not tight (imo).

OK, problem is fixed:

• My home wifi was connected as a “public” network, changed to private
  • Reviewed and adjusted existing firewall rules for roon and raatserver

And… the android app sees it and works.

Yeah!

Also discovered:

• Discovered that roon does not run as a windows service, and only interactively?

Odd (to me?)

1 Like

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Win10 laptop, Dell XPS (using for initial eval of roon)
Roon SW installed here, seems to work fine, detected music and ll that.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wifi is on a brand new DLink COVR system. Laptop and Sono sitting on same table in front of me, hanging of single wifi AP

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sonos One SL, single unit, set it up in Sonos mobile app. Roon lists the single Sonos TWICE: Once via airplay, and a second time over Roon streaming.

Description Of Issue

Audio does not play/is not audible on Sonos.

When I play to “system audio” (e.g. laptop speakers), I hear audio fine.
But when I choose Sonos, either via airplay or via roon streaming, there is no sound.
Tapping the sonos Vol Up/Vol Down buttons gives the nice bong sounds, so it is up.
Status lamp on top of sonos is solid white.

Have tried rebooting (via power cycle) the sonos,
Have tried rebooting the laptop

I can add that the while the play/pause control works as expected when Sonos is output device, the timeline does not go live. (e.g. timeline cursor does not move, elapsed time does not increment) When using system output, the timeline works properly.

Hi @ra_ki,

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs and the track that you try to play when it fails? Then respond here with that time + track, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Thanks! Done!

Track: Bad Leaver
Time: 4:20-4:21 PM Pacific
Played three times:

• System device, worked
  • Kitchen (sonos) via roon streaming (no audio)
  • Kitchen (sonos) via airplay (no audio)

Let me know how I can help!

I should add: It would have felt good, if in roon Settings | Audio , there were a “Troubleshoot” or “Test” button on the audio devices. That could have guided me through resolving the issue…

One more observation: When trying to use the sonos, roon sometimes briefly displays “roon lost control of the _____” (I think “audio device”) It is intermittent, and the message is displayed briefly.

This is fixed. The firewall steps noted here fixed it.

Onward!

1 Like

Hi @ra_ki,

I’ve merged your two threads since they appeared to be the same issue, happy to hear that it’s resolved since making those firewall exceptions!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.