Roon Remote on Chromebook Pro Android cannot find Roon Rock Core

Worked intermittently but not now - Roon Remote android app on Samsung Chromebook Pro says “Looking for your Roon Core”. It did work for a few days but now nothing. Did the usual reboot of everything - router, switches, Roon Rock, Chromebook, uninstall/reinstall Roon app. My Windows desktop and laptop both connect via WiFi and Ethernet but not the Chromebook. Tried WiFi on two different routers and direct on Ethernet but no connection to ROCK.

Here’s the set up:
Samsung Chromebook Pro(XES10C24) running Google Playstore with Google Chrome V 71.0.3578.94, 64bit
Roon Rock wired - OS v 1.0 build 159
Roon Server V 1.5 build 363
Same IP network on all devices - 192.168.1.****
Same netmask on all devices - 255.255.255.0
Router (ATT Uverse)>Switch(Netgear Prosafe GS108)>Roon Rock NUC
Wireless Access Point: Linksys WAP300n 5Ghz to provide WiFI signal to Chromebook in sound room

Read through Roon troubleshooting guide but where you suggest “settings/general/accept connections from remotes” my Roon Rock does not have that selection available.

Android app on chrome is not officially supported. Mine works pretty well atm but can be flaky. If it can’t find the core I can *sometimes hit help and type in the address of the core and it will connect.

I also find *sometimes opening up the rock page and hitting save (faking a change to update) will encourage the app to connect.

Hello @Frank_Palm,

Is the behavior the same if you try to connect the Chromebook over Ethernet to the Router? I am not sure if that router has an option for IGMP Snooping or IGMP Proxying but those have helped in the past with Core discovery.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris,

I tried Ethernet and WiFi with the exact same result - cannot find roon core.
I do not see the option for IGMP on my router.
The 'SAVE" botton at the bottom of the Rock page was successful.
I just bought another Chromebook with Google Play android app enabled so I wish roon can get the remote app to be truly compatible.

Hey Frank – last time we looked at this, Chromebooks did not work with our discovery protocols, so I’m a bit surprised this works at all.

We are going to need to look at this again, because we haven’t done any testing in-house on Chromebooks, and our QA team does not have any of these devices in-house.

If this is working intermittently, we may be able to figure out what’s going on and support these devices, but I can’t make any commitments here – up until recently these devices did not work with Roon, and were considered unsupported.

I am going to look into this a bit more, but I don’t think I will have an answer on this overnight. Sorry I don’t have a better answer here.

Mike, If it helps, when i was running roon on windows, flipping the allow remote connections switch off then on made the app on my Chromebook connected immediately 100% of the time.

Now I’m running rock and don’t have the setting to toggle but it seems that hitting the save button does something similar to allow the connection.

Mike,
The connection to the core is very intermittent. Trying to enter the IP or hitting the SAVE button on the Roon Rock page works somethimes. Last night I could not connect at all. But…when it does connect it is very responsive and robust. These newer Chromebooks with Google Play and Android app enabled are a real contender to Windows devices. You guys are smart, I’m sure you can figure it out and add another platform to your repertoire. I just ordered another Chormebook so let me know if I can help.
Thanks…Frank

Derek,
I cannot find the “allow remote connections” switch under my settings?

Doesn’t exist on rock. Is under setup on a roon core running on windows.

Yup, that is interesting. I’ve opened a ticket to look at this. Won’t happen immediately, but we’ll look at this.

Thank you!

After the last Chrome OS update, Roon Remote works on a Pixelbook, Samsung CB Plus and an Acer Chromebox. Hopefully, it keeps working.

@ Support …Tonight I tried my new Acer Chromebook Spin and my Samsung Chromebook Pro without success in connecting to roon core. My old Windows laptop had no problem finding the core.
Sure hope Roon Labs can resolve this.

just jumping in as this is a longstanding intermittent issue … I’m on a Pixelbook running Chrome OS Version 72.0.3626.74 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

I’ve had it work and not working and we are definitely in a not working phase right now with or without the direct IP via the help prompt on launch. I know the Android Apps run as a secondary thing but it would still be great to have this really work. I do mainly control via my iPad, but when I’m in a laptop mode I’d love one machine to manage it all.

@support

• Jonathan, yes having the roon android app working on modern Chromebooks would be great for roon business and for all of us with Chromebooks. I feel Chromebooks are gaining in popularity I know my large company has switched from Microsoft to Google and we use Chromebooks extensively. There are 9,500 employees and everyone has a Chromebook available for the asking. I have two high-end Chromebooks - a Samsung Pro and the Acer Spin and sure wish I could use them in my sound room.
1 Like

FWIW the Pixelbook connected again today … not sure what changed, but all good for now.

Mine has been flawless for a while …so whatever you guys are doing do t change it lol

@support…Installed my new Nucleus today and thought I’d give it another go.
Tried to connect my new Acer Spin Chromebook to the Nucleus…no go.
Tried my old Windows laptop…perfect connection.
Hope that service ticket is still in line.
btw: Nucleus is awesome, noticed a slight increase in SQ over my Roon Rock NUC i7

@support
Also tried Roon web page “Save Settings” and entering the Nucleus IP in the Help/Scan but no luck.

Hello @Frank_Palm,

We are planning to take another look at Chromebook support in the future but at the current time it is an unsupported platform. While it may or may not work for the time being, I would double check to make sure that your network setup follows our Networking Best Practices Guide and that you have multicast properly configured in your router as this may help.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

@noris Any news on this?

Earlier this year Roon Remote worked flawlessly on my Samsung Chromebook Pro. Without any problems. After upgrading from version 1.5 to 1.6 (and several Chrome OS updates) I cannot get it to work at all.