Roon Remote on Sony NW-A100TPS

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Innuos Zenith Mk III/Roon V1.7 Build 710

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ASUS RT-AX88U Etherrnet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sony NW-A100TPS

Description Of Issue

I have been using Roon Remote on my LGv30 which runs Android 9 and wanted to add it to my Sony NW-A100TPS but the option to download has been removed and I was wondering why?

The Walkman uses Android 9.0 and uses an ARM Cortex A-53 processor. I haven’t found out from Sony if there is support for OpenGL ES 3.0 so don’t know if this is a factor.

The Roon Customer Success Team suggested I post this in the Support category for an answer

Thanks

Dave

Hi @Dave_Keegan,

Are you able to manually install the Roon.apk from our Downloads Page?
Here is a direct link to the download: https://download.roonlabs.com/builds/RoonMobile.apk

Hi Noris

I can install app that way and Roon now shows in my app list

When I launch the app I get the Roon splash screen and then the screen goes white and returns to the android app screen

The Roon app appears to be open when I goes to the close apps view but it is just a black blank screen

Let me know if you need anything else

Thanks

Dave

The CPU-Z android app will tell you if the device can run OpenGL 3.0. As far as I’ve read, it is not straight up Android 9, it is tweaked by Sony.

1 Like

Hi Daniel

I installed CPU-Z and the report says that the OpenGL ES is 2.0

Isn’t v3.0 backwards compatible to v2.0?

Dave

The OpenGL 3.0 is a requirement because Roon uses video features which exist in 3.0 to display content. Features which don’t exist in Open GL 2.0.

At least you have a definitive answer on why it will not work.

1 Like

Hi @Dave_Keegan,

Thanks for checking that (and for @Rugby suggesting that app)!

Yes, since your device does not support OpenGL 3.0, it will unfortunately not work with Roon.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.