Roon Remote on Tablets not connecting to Core

I have downloaded Roon Remote for iPad (Pro) and also Android Tablet - running on same WiFi - but cannot communicate with Core (located on Dell XPS i7 running Windows 10 Pro/64 bit).
Actually Remote app finds the core but cannot Connect (Connect cannot be activated).
Once or twice it established communication! but this was lost in a few mins and never returned. I tried by disabling Antivirus and Firewalls (as suggested) but did not fix the problem.
Any further suggestions will be appreciated

Hi @Konstantinos_Karakos,

What is your network setup like? Can you please let me know the exact model/manufacturer of all your networking gear? Sometimes we have seen the need to modify router settings for Roon to work properly, we have documented a few of these cases at the end of our Networking Best Practices Guide. Also, I would make sure that you have added Roon as an exception in your Windows Firewall settings using these instructions.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
I run an Apple Wifi Network . I use as modem an Apple Extreme (recent version) with Apple Expresses as Network extenders. Everything works ok until this…
I have turned off Windows Firewalls trying to establish connection but with no luck…
Please advise
Thanks

Hello @Konstantinos_Karakos,

Thanks for clarifying that information.

Just to remove one variable from the equation here, can you please try connecting the Core directly to the Apple Extreme and also connect the remotes to the same router. To achieve this, you may want to temporarily disconnect your Apple Express Extenders from the outlet.

If things are stable without the Apple Express extenders in the mix, then we know where to search for this issue. Also, if you have not done so yet, I would suggest performing a reboot of your Core, networking gear and Roon remotes to see if that helps.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
Followed your advise but did not make any difference, problem remains…
Of course I have made a number of reboots.
Don’t know if this means something to you but on my iPad (and Android Tablet) when they try to connect with Roon Core under the recognized core name (DELLXPS) there is a line “Windows10/::ffff:192.168.1.30, Version 1.6 (build 401)” got no idea…
and of course the “Connect” button never turn blue in order to allow connection. message returns “Connecting” and then “Connection failed”

Hello @Konstantinos_Karakos,

When these symptoms typically occur, it comes down to some kind of firewall blocking Roon from properly operating. What Antivirus apps do you have on your PC? I have seen issues before with Bullguard, McAfee, and Windows Defender, so I would double check this aspect and take a very close look to make sure that none of them could be preventing this kind of communication.

Also, would you by any chance have another PC around the house which you can use to temporarily host the Roon Core on? If it works on another PC we can try to figure out exactly what settings are different from the primary intended PC and go through the process of elimination that way.

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.