Roon Remote unable to load PDF booklet after update to build 536

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Rock 537 on NUC I7DNKE

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

FritzBox 7360 1GB
TP Link TL-SG108E
Synology 1511+ Storage music

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Oppo 205
ASUS Laptop Win 10 Home 1903
Dell Laptop WIN 10 Pro 1903
OnePlus 5T Android 9.0.11
Huawei BTV-W09 MediaPad Android 7.0
Apple IPad Air 2 IOS 13.3.1
Media PC WIN 7

Description Of Issue

Dear Roon rockers: slight_smile:
Since the update to the latest build 537 I cannot open the PDF files any longer. You can tab on the PDF Icon, the option to open the file appears, but when you tab on it nothing happens.
The problem occurs only on Android devices (OnePlus and Huawei). In Windows and on IOS it is still possible.
Rebooting the Core doesn’t help.
I can access the PDF files with my Android devices via the build-in browsers.
Any ideas?

Join the club, @Frank_Nickel,

It’s been ten days since I started this topic and so far nothing has been done about it.
Not even the old .apk (installation file for Android) for the build before 536 (was it 511?) has been made available to us as I’ve repeatedly asked. That older build still works on my older, smaller and slower 8 inch tablet, so no incompatibilities there.
Please, Roon, I can’t live without these booklets!!!

I’m trying to open PDF from my music library, but no luck, it doesn’t work with my Asus tablet (but when I try with a PDF from a Qobuz album, I get it normaly without any issue). The links to the PDF are displayed on the album page. But when I tap the link in the ‘Choose a file’ menu, nothing happens.
No issue with my smartphone Asus (all is working well)

What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Three days ago @mark had some good news about this PDF problem as you can read here

ASUS Android Tablet: When I click on a pdf file in Roon, no pdf file opens to me. However, something does happen. It copies the pdf file to a pdf file with a different alphanumeric name. For instance, Bizet-Shchedrin-TheCarmenBallet.pdf copies to 1ea3939c-bdfe-4636-a57a-5c84228dde7d.pdf. This is not available from Roon, of course, only by looking at pdf files listing in File Manager. I thought this might be a clue.

@Julius_Moshinsky,
I am not 100% sure but think that Roon always renamed any PDF file to some-long-code.pdf, also before they went missing, probably for internal routing purposes.

Additionally, since that long-code.pdf was always gone after the pdf view was closed when it was showing (pre 536), it may be helpful to know that now the long-code copy is not erased, and is still there on the tablet, seen in the pdf category in File Manager, until I erase it.

Still no fix, after 2 months? Embarassing…

Hi @Mario_Mendes — Please see my post here:

I’m happy to report that with build 571 the above issue has finally been solved.

So, PDFs still not working on Android Samsung S3. After last update, the waveform also dissapeared. I am using Roon for 4 years now, but the expirience is getting worse last six months.What is going on with Roon, more and more problems with every update?

From other threads, this is generally a sign that either your Core or your Android tablet has not been updated to build 571 - both need to be on build 571 to display the waveform of local files (and rebooting both is generally recommended).

Thank You for reply, but I see no way to update. Tablet is still on previous version. I tried Play store, but it is same old version.

It may be a regional issue - Play Store (like the Apple Store) seems to release apps at different times across the various regions. What region are you in?

Croatia, Europe. I think You are right, a regional issue.

So, today 571 update finally came to my end of the village :slightly_smiling_face:

Universe is back in order.

1 Like

Congrats!
I admit I was getting just a little bit impatient myself, and now that I can directly open booklets from within the Roon controller, listening has regained all of the fun again!

1 Like

I had the pdf problem on my ASUS Android tablet. But two updates ago it was solved. Still the problem of leaving an alphanumeric nonsense name copy on the tablet (it probably copies to there from the mother PC for quick reading purposes). It would seem an easy code addition to delete that file when the pdf is closed. But I am using Fox pdf reader now (that is the brand I use on the PC for pdf creation and editing and I recommend it very highly–I have tried many), and when I exit it shows a list of recent pdfs accessed, with the copy of what I have read on top, so I can just delete it myself. Good luck in getting your pdf problems solved, you unsolved community members!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.