Roon remotes losing connection with core intermittently, causing freezing and inability to connect (ref#BKNWNC)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble connecting to Roon

What type of connection issue?

Sometimes I can connect, sometimes I can't

Roon remotes are losing connection with core after seconds. Remotes freeze. Roon becomes unusable.
Some days (like yesterday), it plays fine the entire day. Today I'm unable to play music again. Remote freezes or states 'unable to connect to Roon Core'. Even the Roon Remote installed on the same windows server is 'losing connection with Roon Server'. I haven't made any changes to the network, server, or clients between a working state, or a not working state.
I'm starting to be a little desperate here. I loved Roon for years, but the last months I can barely use it and went back to Sonos and Qobuz itself. Sonos & Qobuz working just fine. Als the server running Roon Core is always perfectly reachable using RDP for example. So the lost of connection is specific to Roon.
Is there a way to see logfiles? To find out why connections with the Roon Core are so unstable?
Thanks in advance!
Thomas

1 Like

What device is your remote on iOS at a guess.

There is a known issue on ios where ios puts Roon to sleep when not in focus

Hi Mike,

I think I use every remote possible (all our clients can control Roon), but no iOS-devices.
The creaziest part is Roon losing connection with itself on the host (Intel NUC / windows / Roon Server & Remote).
I just see ‘oh oh lost connection’ or the ‘process icon’. When I wait a little it connects again and shows the interface. But when I hit play it starts playing (if not frozen) and stops after some seconds, showing ‘Waiting for your Roon Server’. Sometimes the music keeps playing when remote loses connection, and sometimes it don’t.
Is there a way to look into the logs to see whats the problem with the core, and why exactly it loses connection.
That mediaserver also runs Plex, which is just working fine; just like the remote desktop connection to the mediaserver. And every endpoint works fine in its own ecosystem (Wiim Pro’s in the Wiim app, Sonos in the Sonos app, both playing the same Qobuzaccount).

Actually, ‘OS puts Roon into sleep’, could explain a lot. It just happens with all the remotes, not iOS.
But the behavior is exactly like Roon Server is going into sleep for some reason (while playing music), and is waked up when I open a remote and wait a bit. It only goes back ‘into sleep’ after 30 seconds, no matter what.

The only thing probably worth mentioning is the fact we have a pretty large homenetwork. There are 45 devices connected to the network, when we are not at home. But nothing Ubiquiti Unifi can’t handle.
There are some VLAN’s, but all things Roon are connected to the same, main network. The network also didn’t change between a ‘working day’ like yesterday and a ‘not working day’, like today.
While typing this message, Roon lost connection with the server running on the same device 6 times.

Thanks anyway for following up!

Thomas

Support Can turn on logging remotely

The logs are in the folder with your db

Are any of the devices running on Wi-Fi? That often has disconnections ?

There are endpoints connected to the network using WiFi. The situation I’m troubleshooting the last weeks is all wired, with the exeption of Sonosspeakers, but those are connected through a wired Sonos Boost. So I’m not playing any music to a Wifi connected endpoint.

How can I reach support to activate the logging? I really want to see what’s going wrong. Because Plex uses all the same server/network/clients en works just fine. So I can’t think of something where the network is involved.

I forgot that Plexamp can actually stream to riopee XL wifi-endpoints now. So now I have Plex playing on all the Roon endpoints just fine. Even the ones connected to wifi.

Another thing I just think of: I can’t remember having issues with Roon ARC in the cars. So that part does work fine. I’m experimenting now with Roon Arc streaming to the same endpoints.

The Roon RAAT protocol is more demanding than Plex.

Support monitors this section they will get to in time. The Easter weekend wont help

If you can wire an end point even to test it may give a valuable insight

@Thomas_Vandromme
Could the issue be related to this?

I don’t understand, how exactly is your server machine configured?
Which NUC model and which operating system… ROCK, Windows…?
If Windows, is there anything else running on the NUC or just Roon Server?
If Roon Server loses connection, will other applications run fine (if any)?

Have you tried unplugging your entire system for a few minutes and rebooting it, lastly the server machine?

This will take a while I’m afraid. First of all there are holidays over Easter.

Hi @Thomas_Vandromme,
Thanks for writing in to let us know about this issue. You can view your logs. They exist on your server. This article will show you where to find them. I will also review your logs. It would help me to track down the problem if you could tell me the date and local time when this last happened.

The endpoints I’m using to keep troubleshooting are all wired. There is no wifi involved in the current test.

Hi Axel,
Its not related to that post, as we concluded there that seperate Vlans didn’t work for Roon. So every device is in the same network.

Intel NUC runs windows 11 Pro, Roon Server & Plex server. Headless and not used as endpoint.
I’m connected using remote desktop with that device the entire day without issues. So I can state that the NUC doesn’t lose it connection somehow. Yes, all the other things, even ARC, run just fine.

I could reboot the entire network, but that would take half a day and has to be planned in the weekend.
I allready did a reboot of the network, and a complete reinstall of the NUC since these issues. I think it worked for a couple of days. Maybe a relevant detail, but it was a clean install with a recovered backup of Roon. The backups are on my NAS, the same place where the music is.

One thing I can think of, is that I installed Zabbix on all clients and on a VM on my homeserver. The Homeserver is another server (HPE Microserver) then the mediaserver (NUC with Roon & Plex) or the Fileserver (Synology NAS).
I have a drawing of my network if important, I know the network is very large and complex for a home network. But nothing special, no VPN’s, no VLAN’s, …

Hi Daniel,

It hasn’t worked today, I tried multiple times. The timestamps of my posts above are when I was actually trying.
I continued Troubleshooting, and the strange thing is that Roon ARC is playing perfectly since my last update. Its at my desk, streaming tot the same speakers that won’t work using Roon Remote.

I look into your article and the logs!

Thanks allready for the help!!

Thomas

@Thomas_Vandromme
If reading the Windows help pages for Roon didn’t reveal anything, you could try the following:

Windows / RoonServer
• Stop RoonServer
• Navigate to your RoonServer’s Database Location
• Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
• Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
• Reinstall the RoonServer App from our Downloads Page to generate a new RoonServer folder
• On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Roon Server” and connect to the new database.

Do NOT restore a backup!
Instead, first try how it works with the fresh database without a backup installed.
Just as a test, does the error still occur?

Hi All,

I looked into the log files and found out that Roon somehow lost connection to the shared folders on the NAS. I have no idea why.
But I synced my music to the Roon Server itself this morning and everything seems fine eversince.

Kind regards,
Thomas

I have a Nucleus at home and a Nucleus+ at work. We only use iPhones and iPads for remotes and never had this issue.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.