Roon remotes will not connect to Nucleus

This is soon starting to become a joke.

If you have followed the case from start you will see that I’ve run remotes on Iphone, Ipad, Mac-mini and PC/Windows with the same result, with WiFi and TPcable connection when possible.

I’ve even tested the Nucleus on a different network without any difference. Both hi speed 100 Gigabit.

As I’ve said before I’m currently running my lic on my Mac mini and all remotes works fine.

New logs put in Dropbox.

I think that it is time to send the Nucleus back to your rep here in Sweden (Audio7) after I’ve removed my HD in the Nuc (I bought it without one) Audio7 can then send me a replacement and Audio7 then send the bad one to you.

I’m saying this to you because I’ve been a HiEnd Audio Service Manager for many years handling cases both with end users and retailers. This is what we do in tricky cases.

You normally can’t expect an end user to be a service tech.

Thanks for sharing that, @Lars_Mansson.

I’m confident we can get things running for you, and you have my apologies for the problems so far.

Our team recently released both an update to RoonServer and RoonOS (which Nucleus runs on). The RoonOS update includes stability improvements that may help here.

From the Nucleus Web Administration Interface can you try reinstalling the OS and let us know if there’s any change after doing so? We’ve enabled additional diagnostics so we can take a look at what’s happening on the device when you’re doing this.

Thanks!

Hi @support
Sorry, same result.
Reinstalled OS & Server from Web interface.
OS
Prev: v1 Build 183
Now: v1 Build 186
Server
Prev: v1.7 Build 511
Now: v1.7 Build 521

New logs in Dropbox

Hi @Lars_Mansson,

I met with the team today and they ran some additional diagnostics this evening on the Nucleus. They pushed a change that they think might help, and if not, they have some next steps for what we should do.

Starting out, can you verify how things are working for you currently?

Hi @Support
As I said in my prev info: Same as before no change.
Same behavior as in my videos in Dropbox.
Still timing out.

Thanks for giving that a try, @Lars_Mansson.

In our investigations here we are finding that something is causing the device to run out of memory. We aren’t able to tell what that is just yet, but it doesn’t appear to be hardware failure.

Can you try using a fresh database with the Nucleus? Please see the steps outlined below:

• Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database

After renaming RoonServer I had to unauthorize my Mac-mini.
Logging in to Nucleus it started normally and started to index the database.
After some hours it lost connection and asked me to select an other.
Found the Nucleus again but now I had the same problem again as before.
Made a hard restart and had the same problem back.
I then entered the web interface and reset Roon Database & Settings.
After logging in on Nucleus as if it was new I then used the web interface and reformatted my HD.
I then copied a small amount (DSD&HRX) of my music back on Data/Storage/InternalStorage.
For the time being it works but I don’t dare to fill up the HD with the same amount of music that I had before. AIFF=1,21 Tb, DSD=137 Gb and HRX=63Gb.

Conclusion: I agree with you that it is a memory problem.
It seems not to be able to handle the database size/number of music files or maybe the scanning process.
Because it worked before 1.7 with the same amount of music and you didn’t mentioned any info to users prior to installation about any max database size or max number of music files naturally I’m not pleased about the outcome.
I assume there is an easy way to increase the amount of memory even on a non Nucleus Plus.
Looking forward to a replacement RAM as compensation for doing your work.

Hi @Lars_Mansson,

Do you know the total number of tracks, not just the storage size, of your library?

@Support
A PDF “Nr of files” put in Dropbox.
The pdf is a screenshot of my Backup HD of files I had on the Nucleus.

Hi @Lars_Mansson,

Thanks for the screenshot. After running some additional diagnostics after this test it appears that there is some media that is causing some issues with Roon.

If you disconnect the media (if it’s connected via USB you can disconnect the drive, if it’s a network share you can power down the device it’s connected to) are you able to access Roon like normal? If so, can you navigate to Settings > Library and set both Analysis options to Off and then re-connect the media? Is there any change after doing so?

@support

Seriously!! What is it that you don’t understand?
As I’ve said before in my prev. info.
I’ve reformat the internal HD = No music on, started Roon, works OK.
Copied DSD and HRX dirs from Backup HD (see screen shot in Dropbox) , Started Roon, Works OK even after Roon indexed the database. Did NOT copy the AIFF dir. Do you want me to copy the rest of my music (the AIFF dir from screenshot) back on Data/Storage/InternalStorage? What’s the use? I’ve already had that dir on the HD after I renamed RoonServer, when I did that I had all my music on the HD. That will get me back to my basic problem. I have NO USB HD nor any NAS connections to my Nucleus so why bother fiddling with that? In my opinion I will need more RAM to be able to handle the same amount of music as I had on the internal HD before upgrading to 1.7…

Apologies for the confusion, @Lars_Mansson — I misread a previous post.

To clarify, I want to add the AIFF media to Roon after we disable the Analysis option. It may be related to the amount of memory being used, but it’s also possible that analysis is causing problems here. It’s hard to say based on the number of tracks, so we wanted to run this test to be sure. It is possible to upgrade the RAM on the Nucleus, but I wanted to run this test before having you do so in case there is something else at play here.

@support
Thanks for clarification. I haven’t had time to do this, but will try this weekend.
Just a quick Q. Can I set back the Background and On-demand Audio Analysis Speeds to Fast again if all AIFF dirs is back on HD without any problems?

Hi @Lars_Mansson,

If you’re able to successfully get things working without Audio Analysis on, that means that there is something one or more of the files that is causing an issue to occur when we try to analyze them. For now, I’d recommend leaving Background analysis off and let me know so I can consult with the QA team, but you should be able to turn back On-Demand analysis without getting back into this specific state.

@support
I’ve now after “cleaning up” of my library of music copied over the “leftover” of the AIFF files to the Nucleus HD and I’m now still on line and it works.
So now I have 2 Q’s to you:

1. Can I now set back the Background and On-demand Audio Analysis Speeds to Fast again?
  2. What size and type of RAM shall I buy if I decide to increase the internal memory? Replace or add to MAX.

Hi @Lars_Mansson,

Yes, try re-enabling this and let us know if there is any change.

There is an open RAM slot on the Nucleus so you won’t need to replace the existing RAM. We don’t have any specific recommendations for what RAM to buy, but you can add 8 GB of RAM to what is currently there and that should give you plenty.

Hi @support
I have now set back the Background and On-demand Audio Analysis Speeds to Fast again.
After 2 days it was done doing its job and is now back on line again.
Seems to work Ok now.
Thanks for your help but it was a very troublesome process getting there.

One last issue:

I’ve tried to find a place to buy an additional RAM but I’m having big trouble finding one.
Do you think that your rep here in Sweden (Audio7) have any in stock/spare?
I’m also having trouble finding a Kingston kvr21s15s8/4 or 8 equivalent/replacement.
Opened up the Nucleus to see what RAM was inside. Picture in my DropBox.

PLS help me out with this RAM issue.

Hi @Lars_Mansson,

Now that things are working, can you clarify why you’re looking to upgrade RAM? To be clear, more RAM should only be needed if you’re running out of memory and it’s causing instability.

We believe that this issue you were experiencing previously was not caused by this, but by issues with Audio Analysis. You mentioned that you “cleaned up” your collection previously, which likely resulted in the troublesome files that Roon was not able to analyze no longer being in your collection.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.