Running macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected to the wifi at my office in a skyscraper in Manhattan

Connected Audio Devices

Chord Mojo2 → ZMF Pendant SE Tube Amp

Number of Tracks in Library

~70,000 tracks in the library

Description of Issue

I’m on day 3 of my trial, and unfortunately things aren’t going very smoothly. My Roon library consists of local files and tracks in my Tidal library. I’ve finally started getting used to the interface and playback settings. On my home system, things work pretty smoothly. I’m able to play music through my Schiit Yggy and Ferrum Oor + Hypsos stack smoothly. At the office, every single time I open the app, either it crashes immediately OR I try to click something and get the spinning beach ball of death and then it crashes OR I manage to start a song then the app freezes and crashes. I’ve tried restarting my MacBook pro, but the issue persists.

I would greatly appreciate some guidance about what could be going on here. I like the concept of Roon, and I want to like the software, but the experience I’ve had thus far has been horrible. Of course, I want my music to sound good, but as a first priority, I want to be able to listen to it, and Roon isn’t even letting me do that. I may honestly not even make it through the trial period before I delete the app and go back to using Tidal only.

Hey @wkesquire,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and my extreme apologies for the delay in follow-up!

I’m glad to hear things are running smoothy with your home setup. An important thing to note, Roon has been designed primarily for home listening, which is probably why you’re seeing hiccups attempting to use roon outside of your home network. Up until recently, it wasn’t possible to do this.

The good news is, we just released a brand-spanking-new mobile app Roon Arc, which was built for taking your home listening experience on the go! Give that hyperlink a read before anything else.

You can download Roon Arc on your mobile device for free here:

And with that, here is some additional information you’ll find helpful as well:

Please let me know if the above helps, and if you have any additional questions :pray:

Thanks for the reply, but I’m still very confused. My core is my Apple MacBook Pro. Why does it matter whether I have that computer connected at home or in the office? If anything, my internet connection is more stable in the office.

And this issue persists. Every time I open Roon on my MacBook Pro, it crashes. I’m trying to figure out why the Roon application on my Core will not work properly. Thanks.

Hey @wkesquire,

My apologies here, I was not aware you were bringing your core to the office to use Roon. You are correct here, there should not be an issue in this case and you should be able to listen to music from your MBP.

While I dig into diagnostics on your core further, do you by chance have another device or computer you might be able to test as another core?

Here is more info on this :

If you don’t have another option to test, I would start with getting a fresh database setup (if it doesn’t fix the issue, it will allow us to have a fresh take on your system):

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :pray:

That still doesn’t solve the issue, unfortunately. And I can’t get Roon to stay open when I launch the app now. Every single time I open it, the application crashes. Unfortunately, I’ve had consistent issues with the application ever since my 14 day trial period ended.

Hey @wkesquire,

Thank you for letting me know. I will follow up with next steps via PM. Please keep an eye out from a message from me :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.