Roon Rock on NUC 10 reinstalling with UEFI enabled

Hi Fellow Peeps,

I decided, for no particular reason, to “upgrade” my ROCK to the latest UEFI install. It has gone very well, with just a few nervous minutes…

I have an NUC 10 i7 H unit with “InternalStorage” upon which I didn’t want to trash the data. I did back this all up onto a usb drive… just in case. It went like this for me. Only follow this if you are wise.

Back up database on external usb drive. Disconnect external drive with backup and external drive with music. Turn off ROCK. Follow instructions with standard instructions. I removed the “InternalStorage” device. Boot NUC after connecting hdmi screen, keyboard. Reset bios, easy, but I missed the “boot from USB” option from lower down the screen. Reboot ROCK sytem and log in. I had a few problems with this as possibly I should have disconnected the old installation. After a password reset all was well… Reinstall audio codec as per instructions. This rebuild was with build 1169.

Now comes the frightening bit. After plugging in my “InternalStorage” drive I expected the system to recognise it, it didn’t. (Not a criticism!) I restored my database and settings backup from newly plugged in USB backup disc and after a wait everything is fine. All the audio devices reappeared and all my precious music is still available on the “Internal Storage”. Even my Roon shortcuts work. And breathe. No copying required from music backup ssd and “InternalStorage”.

The ipad and the iphone sulked until I turned them off and on again. They then found the new Core. ARC installations also a little sulky, but eventually they found the new core. Android looking for old core, but after being restarted it found the new core easily.

Any comments or questions welcome.

3 Likes

Why not use the recommended path? Just selecting Reinstall worked fine for me on two Roon OS based devices:

That won’t give you UEFI

1 Like

Is there any advantage in reformatting NUC using UEFI? Thanks!

Arthur UEFI is a boot mechanism that is used on modern computers and replaces the legacy boot system.

In theory it helps create a more secure environment, but lots of bugs and workarounds have been found that make this questionable at least for older devices (hopefully this improves as time goes on).

It’s a requirement for the latest generation of machines as they do not support legacy boot mode at all.

1 Like

No. From the release notes:

2 Likes

IOW, don’t fix what ain’t broke! But @Michael_Redman , thanks for your post and info :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for this! I’ve been running ROCK on a NUC 10 for two years now and was wondering if I should reformat.

2 Likes

As I hinted, there’s little advantage now except the satisfaction the unit maybe future proof at least for a while. I enjoy tinkering and thought posting my experience might help someone. Preserving the “InternalStorage” ssd contents is possible with a little effort and care. A failure of your system ssd might require reinstalling on a new ssd and you might as well use the UEFI boot method as that is the suggested method included in the installation instructions… I make no suggestions that anyone should make the changes.

1 Like

Fully understand that, but UEFI booting won’t add to your Roon experience either.

True, but I feel happier for some irrational reason.

1 Like

Not dismissing your curiosity and efforts, not at all. Appreciate the report also, but i felt the need to emphasize that you CAN upgrade your Roon OS quite smoothly! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a funny old world. I have more than enough streamers and still I enjoy the experience of newer gear. I notice that you have a Topping D10. I use them as well, great little devices. I also have some Squeezeboxes which are still brilliant after all these years. Raspberry pi network bridges… and my latest upgrade, I have become enamoured of Chord devices. My system is a 2go/2yu, Mscaler and Qutest. I know, rather over the top! There was little to complain about the Allo USBridge.

I’m sure Roon will support earlier NUCs for a good while yet , as you suggest.

1 Like