Roon Room Correction in the future?

Just ordered an UMIK-1 going to embark on Room EQ might just take measurements and send to Home Audio Fidelity. REW looks complicated.

2 Likes

Did you order with a proper calibration?

Not that I am aware off. I just though you download the calibration file from their site after giving the serial number.

I see. Unfortunately that calibration file is not quite exact. This is better: http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html
If you can not cancel your current order and buy from Cross Spectrum instead, maybe you can approach Cross Spectrum and ask if you can ship the mic to them for calibration?

Im not faffing aboutchanging it, I’ll use it as its designed by the manufacturer I’m sure it will be fine.Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for the guide. I plan to follow it this weekend.

Just a small comment on phase. My gut feeling is that it should help. Get a piece of music with a simple instrument in the middle of the stage, play it, listen, and then go to one of the speakers and then flip the phase by swapping the +/-. You will find that suddenly a perfect focused image is now completely smeared. Now I understand that the room reflection also messes with it, but that doesn’t means we cannot try to perfect the input (into the room) to get closer to phase correct.

You’d have to swap +/- on both speakers to flip absolute phase. What you describe is channels out of phase which makes no sense. I’ve never heard a setup where room reflections produce anything like out-of-phase channels - if that is what you mean.

Hey,

I have read quiet a lot about room correction recently, especially, becasue i was interessted in the Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 which has built in RC called ROOMPERFECT.

Is there anyone with experience comparing ROOMPERFECT against DIRAC or REW?

i think i will give DIRAC and REW a try first.

regards
Andy

REW is not actually room correction compared to Dirac and the others (Accourate, Audiolense…) as REW only produces amplitude correction. The others do time domain correction too. Full range. Whether you need correction in the time domain depends a lot on your speakers and their position in the room. I also believe Roomperfect does some time/phase correction, but the last time I tried (long time ago) it only corrected bass and lower mids.

I would suggest buy an UMIK-1 and try REW first, its cheap (around $100) and the mic is usable if you decide to use more advanced room corrections like Dirac in the future, or want to do measurements and send to Thierry (https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/)

And while, in some cases, time/phase corrections can give a little extra, its very limited what you actually can correct for time/phase in a typical stereo setup. In most cases, the biggest benefit of digital room corrections is correction of frequency response in 20 - 200 Hz.

Feel free to have a look at my guide as a start: A guide how to do room correction and use it in Roon

3 Likes

The UMIK-1 is good advice. I forgot to mention HAF which has gotten a very nice reputation lately. Is it correct that one uses the UMIK with REW to generate the measurements Thierry needs for calculations?

EDIT: I’d suggest getting a calibrated mic form for example Cross-Spectrum Labs http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html

EDIT2: Seems I am repeating myself… I posted the same link a few posts up, but that was back in August last year!

Amir has tested the electronics and RC in the Lyngdorf in a two-part review.

That is correct, check his website for more info.

A huge help for me was purchasing an inexpensive microphone stand along side my UMIK-1. Yes I use HAF and love it!

If you’re happy to spend the cash a Lyngdorf commands you’d do well to look at a Roon Ready Trinnov.

Room correction in Roon would be amazing! Any update to tease us for what’s to come?

1 Like

There is progress with Dirac coming up

2 Likes

Just skimmed through this thread, so I can’t contribute much, but I would totally support a Room Correction scheme being a part of Roon, be it Dirac or otherwise. The custom convolution capabilities could be left as is, for those experienced or ambitious enough to pursue and implement them, but I’d say for a good percentage of us Roon users, we would be very much interested in and embrace a more automatic, simplified software solution. I just hope, if it is ever implemented, it would have multichannel capabilities, be it 5.1 or 7.1.

New lifetime subscription price went up from 499 to 699 - so there should be a lot of new resources be available. If it is not already in the making as many users hope.