Roon running slowly, especially streaming

Yes, I do have older backups, but if they are corrupted too, then I will have to rebuild it from scratch again and lose my playlists (I can reset all the DSP stuff, no problem). Is there a way to export playlists so I can reimport them separate from having to restore an old backup? As soon as you get back to me, I can start the 15-hour process of reinstalling and building a new database.

Thanks,
Joe

Ok, I reinstalled Roon, the database is still being generated. I’ve let it run for a few hours, but already Roon has lost the devices – the ultraRendu streamer, the Chromecast Audio devices, and another computer across the house. “No Audio Devices Found” is popping up.

I am at my wits end here, and it’s frustrating. I have tried to isolate and troubleshoot every part of the chain. The modem is working fine. I switched the switch and both of the switches are working fine. The cable connections are solid. I’ve tested the Google WiFi through the app and all seems to work as normal. The ultraRendu is working fine and all diagnostics from Sonicorbiter on it seem normal. The computer is fine in its diagnostics except when Roon is running. The DAC and Amp are fine. It has to be Roon and its communication with the switch --> Google hub --> switch --> streamer chain, because when I bypass it and hook the computer up directly to the DAC, everything works fine. What could this be and what do I do about it?

The problem has persisted for 2 weeks and has made Roon unusable. Unless I am supposed to ditch a streamer chain that improves the sound quality substantially, which I obviously don’t want to do, what is to be done?

Joe

Hi @noris and @support,

Does anyone have any suggestions for this continuing problem? It’s causing me to lose faith in the programming and, as a lifetime subscriber, I would like to have something that works or could be fixed by Roon support.

Thanks,
Joe

Can someone give me a call to help troubleshoot in real time, someone who knows how Roon communicates with WiFi and Ethernet networks via MacOS?

@support

New symptoms:

First, Roon, now with a freshly rebuilt database, won’t recognize Google audio devices or an old mac mini in a different room. It sees it but won’t enable it. When I try to enable it in Settings/Audio, Roon crashes altogether.

Second, so that I could listen to some music, I bypassed the streamer/switch/Google Wifi Hub altogether and plug the streamer’s USB directly into the Mac Mini. It seems that Roon is still spending so much time trying to identify, enable, lose, and reidentify the Google devices on the wifi network that the player continues to have multi-minute delays.

Hi @Joe_Bandy,

Thank you for trying the fresh database and apologies for the frustrations here.

Unfortunately, we do not offer phone support but we would be more than happy to assist you right here on the Community website.

When we resolve issues on Community, it ensures that our entire team has access to the discussion and can weigh in as needed. This means that not only can our support team contribute, but so can our QA team, developers, and senior staff.

This specific symptom seems stranger than the rest. Can you please reproduce this behavior once more, note the exact local time + date the crash occurs and send me a copy of your Roon log by using these instructions? I can request that QA take a look at logs to see if there are more clues contained in them.

Hi @noris

I sent the log link in a private message. In the never ending drive to troubleshoot, I checked all the external HDs for errors and found none. I reinstalled MacOS Catalina to see if that could help reset things. This morning I opened Roon and within 5 minutes it dropped the Google devices and will crash when trying to label and enable the old Mac Mini 2012. I called Google also and asked for them to help me run any checks on the network, and everything seems fine to them.

So my best guesses now are that there is 1) some setting in MacOS or Roon or both that is causing trouble, 2) something is wrong with the hardware in the Mac, 3) or something is wrong in the programming of Roon that needs to be fixed. I just don’t understand what could be causing these problems to arise without any changes, and how they could be worsened by me deleting the MacOS cache and turning off Mac’s Spotlight and minor graphic functions on the Dock.

I’d appreciate your feedback as soon as possible,
Joe

I think I fixed the latest symptom of Roon crashing when it tries to enable the old Mac Mini. I had not restarted the old computer when I reinstalled Roon, so it wasn’t connected to the core. Now that I have, that part of the problem should be ok. We’ll see. Still, I have NEVER had Roon crash when it has failed to communicate well with other devices.

It still seems like it can’t form a stable connection with any devices. In 5 mins, it drops the Google Devices. In 10-15 mins, it drops the ultraRendu too and says, “No Audio Devices Found.” I have to restart Roon for it to find them again.

Since I don’t hear back from Roon support very often, it would help me if, when you do communicate, you gave resources, links, procedures for setting up Roon in MacOS optimally. It would help to have guidance on the Privacy, Firewall, Spotlight, and other settings.

In the meantime, I’m taking the computer to the local Mac authority to see if they can run some diagnostics. All my diagnostic programs show it is running fine, and I experience no difficulties with programs other than Roon. But I will see.

Thanks
Joe

Update:

Simply Mac found the hardware working just fine.

They speculated it might be a Roon-Catalina conflict that might be resolved by wiping the hard drive and starting over. I had reinstalled Catalina, but without wiping they hard drive, they said I might have just recreated and not solved the problem. So I have wiped it, rebuilt the computer, and the Roon database is repopulating.

Already, it acts much faster and the ultraRendu seems more stable so far. I will continue to use it and monitor it and report back.

Please don’t close the ticket quite yet, since I have yet to do thorough testing on it.

If this remains stable, I would like to restore my old Roon database. Is that advisable? Will I be inviting problems back into my use of Roon by doing so? Or do you think the problem was elsewhere? What odds do you give for the problem returning if I restore an old backup?

Thanks,
Joe

Hi @Joe_Bandy,

Thank you for sending the log file over. The good news is that the error is logged in the files you sent over and I have requested feedback from QA regarding this trace.

That is good news. For future reference, you can uninstall the Roon library and re-install it by using these instructions (if similar issues were to ever arise again):

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

These setting shouldn’t impact Roon, but we do have a wealth of information in our Knowledge Base in case any additional questions come up or alternatively you can also search this Community website where many cases are detailed in-depth.

It is not clear yet if the issue is in your old database or elsewhere on the Core. If you want, you can go ahead and restore the old backup and if you run into further issue you can use the instructions I outlined above to set the database aside again, this should help clarify if there was something regarding the old database causing this behavior.

Once I hear back from QA regarding your traces I will be sure to update you accordingly, if you make any new findings in the meantime please do let me know. Thank you for your continued patience though this troubleshooting process and I look forward to getting this resolved as soon as possible for you.

Hi @Joe_Bandy,

I wanted to check in with you to see if there’s been any change in behavior since we last spoke? Is everything still working properly with the fresh database? Did you get a chance to restore the old database?

I spoke to QA regarding your case and the traces which I saw and they mentioned that this issue could be stemming from some problematic media, particularly when analyzing certain tracks or from Roon trying to access an object which no longer exists.

If you experience a crash again, can you please provide any additional information? Did it happen after clicking a certain artist/track consistently? Were you on a specific window in Roon and it only occurred there?

Hi @noris

Everything has been stable and responsive so far, including its recognition of other devices. The speed is also much improved.

Given what you state above, I am reluctant to restore the older database and recreate library/communication problems.

Could recommend a good process for exporting/importing playlists so that, if this happens again, I can archive them separately and reimport them?

Thanks,
Joe

Hi @Joe_Bandy,

Glad to hear that there has been an improvement in behavior here!

Are these TIDAL/Qobuz playlists or Roon-created playlists? You could export the playlists to Excel. Roon playlists are also save in a database Backup.