Roon Search Overhauled [2022-12] Update

I’m open for suggestions on what I am doing wrong. I was originally looking for what I thought was Sugar Tune and thought the band might be Sloan…was not sure at the time.

So search first by Track? Lots of Sugars as would be expected

Add some more “Space T”

Finally Sugar Tune. Looks like Search and Filter behave the same

SugarT finds it

Same as the magnifying glass. On the surface filter appears to be more work as I have to (or my wife has to) Menu, Library, Track, expand filter box, etc.

I really like Grant Green…

2 Likes

Nice!

Idle Moments is a regular tester for system changes. Can’t get enough Grant…or Lee Morgan for that matter. Don’t forget the appearances not just the albums.

Nothing. The filter is completely literal. Which is great if you know what to look for, without the vagaries of search, but you won’t get a direct hit if it’s named sugartune and you type “sugar t”.

But if you know sugar is in there, it’s a quick scroll after using that in the filter if you don’t have an inordinate amounts of tracks. Certainly better than typing “sugar tune” in search and getting nothing.

Still, yes, “sugar tune” should find it, but @Johnny_Ooooops explained it perfectly and it is what it is right now

Props for Mould’s Sugar, saw them live twice, first time in 92 when they were new :slight_smile:

1 Like

At least searching for Husker Du finds Hüsker Dü, imagine if that failed :rofl:

3 Likes

Cool! The only time I got to see Bob live was when he came out on stage with Foo Fighters in Philly back in 2011. That was a pleasant surprise. “If I can’t change your mind” is one of my desert island tunes.

But what about HuskerDu (no space) :grimacing:

I had a short but fondly remembered love affair during that 92 gig :wink:

Hahaha! But everybody knows that!

Edit: sonicyouth in search finds one track by that name, otherwise crickets. I guess missing spaces are simply not supported right now

Well

1. I did not say you were doing anything wrong. I very carefully included two IMHO in my response to emphasize that my comment was from my point of view.

2. My response was for albums, I did not mention tracks. Obviously depending on the word and size of library some search term returns become large for the tracks page, but, you can filter the track title by group.

3. Given that it is a contains search you don’t need to start with the beginning you can just type “rtune” or any more unique section of the title. A contains is by definition an exact match search so if you add a space it won’t match.

4. For me, just entering “sugart” was enough to get a unique hit on the song in the Tracks page in my library.
    See:

1 Like

My spouse refuses to use Roon until it is as easy as “Alexa play the Beatles”. Until that time Alexa rules. LOL.

4 Likes

yeah, this basically highlights the incredibly different needs of different users within one product. @RPlace has a strong version of the local walled garden content user (local only, tightly curated, wants it to be super easy) except instead of a preference (which a meaningful # of users have), his is a constraint based on where he lives. Me & a lot of the “newer” folks want it all - streaming, local, all wrapped up with a bow and presented in a common layer. And there are yet more folks who don’t have any local content and/or would be happy to give up their local content for a great experience with streaming only. And there’s a million varieties within each. Let’s face it, Roon has an incredibly complex product, and a tiny team in comparison to the mainstream products. AFAWK there’s no venture or other funding, and their TAM/growth probably don’t support spending beyond their means. So on some level we get what we get, and maybe we get upset (us lifetimers have a stronger propensity to get upset, I think, tho we sure don’t have a monopoly).

Listening to Kid A right now, after a long run of Phineas Newborn Jr and Grant Greene (inspired by the conversation). Music sure sounds nice nearfield, Ropieee->Gungnir MB->Nobsound TPA3115->Paradigm Atom v5’s + Rel TZero MkIII. Enjoy the music, once you find it.

4 Likes

I don’t think I have a story like that about any Bob Mould or Sugar shows. Have one about a Meat Puppets shows from the late 80s. That count? :slight_smile:

You guys are in my wheelhouse with Bob Mould and Sugar. I never managed to see Hüsker Dü thoughI did see most of the SST bands from around their time. Saw Bob Mould solo and Sugar a bunch of times. As much as I love Bob Mould on electric, my favorite show was a sit-down solo acoustic thing he did after Workbook.

Back on topic - my search challenges are around small misspellings, spaces, little stuff like that. Very similar to the examples already given. Would love to see improvements in this area.

1 Like

That counts too :slight_smile: Hüsker split up a year before I managed to escape the Austrian mountains. One of my big regrets. I remember seeing an ad for their concert in a magazine from Vienna that had made its way to me.

1 Like

I am getting fed up with search returning qobuz versions or low res versions of albums I own click on it, play and it plays Qobuz verion even tough mine is set as primary happens all the time.

Doesn’t happen if I filter for the album only via search that seems to have a streaming preference over local files.

Here to see Qobuz and low res version of one albu

Click on album I wanted

My version is primary but it’s viewing Qobuz

Hit play

Same for the low res find why not the primary version?

What happens if you first click on the “Library-only” icon at the top, before clicking on a result? Does it then play your primary album?

They are both in my library so it does the same. If I remove it from my library it just finds mine regardless so search is weighted to the streaming version if it’s in your library which is not what I expect and with mine as primary should not see. @zenit is this expected behaviour.

I tend to have a lot of albums in both streaming and local as they are a backup for before ARC as a thing. So it looks like I will need to clean out these which is far from a fun idea as no bulk way to do that easily. Could I use focus to show all qobuz sources that have local flac duplicates only but not my lossy duplicates. As have lots still filling in for my lossy files.

I have noticed the slow filtering in even modest size album sets, e.g. on Qobuz the album Britten The Performer, a 27 CD set with 450 tracks. It should be a trivial amount of data for a computer to process. Typing “schubert” into the filter is painfully slow, with a long pause while typing each letter.
RoonShareImage-638098598811470120

However, I discovered that the filtering is only slow in the Roon desktop apps (Mac and PC). Responsiveness is almost instantaneous on the Roon mobile apps (iOS and Android) while typing the filter. Something is very wrong with the implementation in the desktop app.

Well that’s two hours I’ll not get back removing all Qobuz duplicates of my albums to make search find my verions. I thought Roon was supposed to make finding my music easier. Lol

Another thing I find whilst doing this is Roon gets very sluggish the more you edit your library until it becomes so slow you have to restart. This isn’t a good thing at all, points to some memory issues if you ask me.

2 Likes

I edited all the tags in my library. I don’t use streaming or external providers, just my own library. Here is one example of many, I can no longer find my local files properly. The search or the results are bad.

There are two albums by this artist, no album is displayed under the artist. As I said, this is just one example of countless.