Roon Search Overhauled [2022-12] Update

Weird instance of search not finding an album:

This is what I was looking for, when I searched and expanded the album results it was not found:

Search was “drifting”.

After adding the album to my library, search now finds the album.

Yeah the best show I saw with Bob Mould was in Seattle in this old Chinese Restaurant. Just him, acoustic guitar and couldn’t be more than fifty people. Sitting just 10 ft away playing music and telling stories. Saw him half dozen times when I lived there and was always great.

But to keep on topic whenever I test new headphones I try Hüsker Dü Warehouse album and the Bob Mould self titled album. Not sure why that’s not on streaming services. Anyway Hüsker Dü comes up just typing Husk and Bob Mould with just Moul.

Just tested on Apple Music, Tidal, Qobuz and Qobuz wins. Find with just Hus, all others need Husk. And Tidal in last place for Bob Mould. All others find with just Moul, while Tidal need Mould. Kind of shocked how much Qobuz search has improved since it first came to the US. App still need more improvement but their search is great.

3 Likes

That one? Deluxe edition is there

1 Like

Maybe not in the US though.

1 Like

Yep, that’s the one but doesn’t appear anywhere in the US. I only have the original imported from a CD many years ago.

Deezer is now last place for search. Mould didn’t not bring up Bob Mould. Had to type full name and see that he is a favorited from my brief trial with Deezer.

1 Like

Yeah I have the CD as well, left album in the screenshot :slight_smile: Another argument for local files

1 Like

I see what @Mike_Scheinkman sees. Only my local copy - not in Qobuz, Tidal, or Apple Music.

Same story with this:

thX. so far, i don’t find that the new architecture does very much to resolve my issues. why can’t i just have a search with which i can input any word or words in an album’s (and it’s tracks’) metadata and get hits? everyone else can do it. and why not give us temporary access to folders until you fiX this?

Because the new architecture is the framework on which to build the improvements. The framework is now there, the improvements not yet - or only partially. There are some, like the statistics in the thread’s first post indicate. Many are missing, but one can’t magically make up for past neglect. It has to be built and simply takes time.

Not going to happen. For reasons of principle, and as this has been decided, surely it is better to invest resources in improving the search

i guess u r right, but i do think that providing folder access s/b part of the whole package and i also think that providing it would take a competent developer days, not months. anyway, i’ll remain patient. it’s more tolerable now that you’ve taught me how to use the funnel search. thanX for the education.

1 Like

Please, we don’t have to open this topic yet again. Never happening, you can find the explanations in this thread and you can agree or not but it won’t change it.

2 Likes

For library stuff just use the funnel filter it will get you there quicker until they sort the mess that is search.

yes, thanX so
much.

I find the search function sometimes (often times?) does not show results of tracks I know are in my personal library. Instead it pulls and shows results from TIDAL, and does not show the track located in my local library.

Exaclty what I was posting about yesterday.

In both cases the albums are “unidentified”. If you can manually identify them in roon then you should have better luck.

There are clearly a lot of problems with roon search but identifying your albums will improve things a lot. I would say the reason roon is not auto-identifying these albums is because you are adding (24/192) to the titles and then roon cannot make an auto-match. Manual identification is more flexible about album title edits that do not match roon’s databases. Other parts of the roon experience besides search all depends on identifying the albums as a starting point in the first place.

Being unidentified should not stop search finding stuff. It certainly doesn’t in my library I have about 20 titles unidentified that I can find with a partial entry of the album title.

2 Likes

Hello,
Thanks for the tip. I’ve already tried, Roon doesn’t offer me these albums even with manual identification. Not even if I refer to the file tag and take out the addition (24/192) in the search criteria.

Regardless, the tags are neat…I don’t have an album listed under this artist. Not even information about the artist / album artist is listed.

This is not an isolated case.

Identifying the album in this case will also identify the correct “Walter Gieseking”. That seems to be the root cause of the OP’s problem. Another solution is to edit the credits. Its just generally easier to identify the album as that will catch other issues as well. Personally I see this problem alot.

From your screenshot I am not sure you have the right Walter Gieseking mapped, so editing the credits is something else you can try. Roon is littered with duplicate artists that escape its equivalencing logic. My Walter Gieseking page looks like this:

In recent releases I seem to be gettng more identification failures, so it is interesting you seem to be having the same issue . . .