Roon Search Overhauled [2022-12] Update

Yes, thanks. I see it now. I often wonder who roon was designed for if that is considered in the slightest bit obvious.

1 Like

I agree it also doesn’t stick on you have to do it every time which is annoying.

For me apparently, I found most of it logical from day one and I decided for lifetime after one day or so of trial.

Sticky would be nice for those who always want to search local only, but you know that the forum would be flooded with posts about “why does ***** Roon search not find any results from streaming sources” :wink:

I apologize, that was an unnecessary remark.
You got hit by the many, many questions asked on the forum that are easily answered by looking through the KB and searching.
Perhaps a shortcoming of Roon in itself also, as forum based support and help is the most lousy idea ever concieved.
A proper manual should be produced and published.

ironic mode = ON
But perhaps a manual with a table of contents is too much alike a folder browsing feature to be considered… :wink:
ironic mode =OFF

And read… ?

2 Likes

Do you work in software development?

Testing and support in a software company, yes

Hi, a lot has been said about Roon Search. Still, nowadays, if I search for Hildegaard I get almost no results and if I search for Hildegaard Von Bingen I get the results I want.
Do we need to be that specific for the search to work???

2 Likes

I find that’s the case many times. :frowning:

This has been reported repeatedly , Full Name works part names don’t @zenit is aware of it

1 Like

There is something very strange going on here. I get von Bingen at top of the list just searching on Hildegard.

This is not at all systematic but I tried a few others:

In the OP case it is Hildegard vs Hildegaard I think.

Have you tried searching on Hildegard vs. Hildegaard? It may be more an equivalencing than a search problem.

I have tried randomly searching on a few first names and roon certainly seems to catch well known composers. Maybe it starts to struggle with modern composers. “Steve” does not give me Steve Reich, for example, but I find him hidden away on “all results”. Search also seems to break down with ambiguity. “Joseph” gives me Joseph Haydn but not Joseph Canteloube (although again Canteloube is hidden away on “all results”).

In the current thread about the recent search changes it has been explained that first names currently don’t create search hits. Generally, it might be best to add to the discussion in the existing thread instead of spreading the topic over several threads.

1 Like

Yes, last night the Mrs wanted to listen to the music from the latest Avatar film. Had to Google the full title of the film to find it reasonably quickly. ‘Avatar’ just brings up the first film music as first choice. In Roon’s defence, there seems to be a heck of a lot of things called ‘Avatar’ that are not the film.

Yes, you are right. I guess John is a very ambivalent first name and Hildegaard, well, there not many. Fine, will keep to the existing thread.

Well yeah in English. In German, Hildegard is more common than John :slight_smile: And by the way, it’s Hildegard von Bingen, not -gaard, and it’s the first search result if spelled correctly. (At least for me and I have zero related things in my library. The result in the screenshot is from ARC because I am not at home)

How Roon should deal with typos and fuzzy search is a whole topic for itself :slight_smile:

And where to post, it was just a suggestion. I think it makes sense to make it as easy as possible for Roon staff to see the search feedback, but I am not a moderator, so…

Thanks for the correction. I seemed very sure of myself :wink:

It’s a difficult topic. Most of the time I don’t want to wade through whatever the search algorithm thinks that I searched for, if I knew damn well and typed what I meant.

But then if I had a typo or just didn’t know how to write a name correctly, I wish the algorithm would correct me.

The algorithm is damned if it does and damned if it doesn’t :slight_smile: