Roon search sucking... Please provide examples

I did a search for “Strauss Elektra” I DO NOT have a sinlge recording of this in my library.

However, I do have about 45 recordings between the waltz family and Richard Strauss.

The "Top Result’ does correctly show and Elekra recording - Solti’s. One could scroll down to compositions results and select the compositon and get all the Qobuz recordings (15 it seems in this case) in the “All Recordings” section of the composition page

However, if I click on Albums from the first result page - I get all my 45 various Strauss recordings listed before the first recording of Elekrta.

2 Likes

One thing that could be said is that you can get a better result for searches like “Der fliegende …” and “Mozart Perahia” by using other views in conjunction with focus. This for me is more tedious as it involves more scanning the screen, tapping and scrolling, but for your search I could pick Wagner from my Composers possibly using the filter, then select compositions, then filter on “fliegende” etc, and use Focus if I wanted to exclude Qobuz or select a performer. Similarly I could get a more useful result for my search by selecting the Composer Mozart, clicking Discography and then using focus to filter the performer on Perahia. Still think the search bar should deliver a better result though.

I tried it this morning but removed the article “Der” and just used “Fliegende Hollander” and got better results!
Here is the first page:

The Raff has a duo based on motifs from Der Fliegende Hollander and the Gruber has no Wagner but has a movement titled “die zeit die fiegenden fische.” :blush:

After that page, Roon captures the stuff not in my library:

So not too bad on my end. My CDs are packed for a move next week so cannot verify this matches my physical library, but it looks right by me. I hope this helps!

2 Likes

There’s definitely something interesting happening with partial matching of words. If I search for “Roon search sucks” I get the artist Big Bill Broonzy, and a single album by Eric Clapton, no doubt with a Broonzy song on it.

Qobuz returns dozens of matches including “search” and a few further down including “sucks”.

Make of this what you will. :wink:

2 Likes

Here are my ‘hits’ for Der fliegende Holländer. Compare Roon search to Qobuz, Apple Music, and Primephonic. Roon — THIS IS

EMBARRASSING. Even Apple Music outperforms Roon!

1 Like

This is the known biggest problem we have right now. The library results get merged in with the “world results” in a less than ideal manner.

If you guys keep giving examples of this, it’ll help us resolve this issue by giving us good training result data. Other bad search results are also valuable.

5 Likes

Whenever I search up any song in my library, almost nothing comes up on the search bar that matches correctly, or if I click to “see all results” then it gives me the wrong information almost every time after the (806) update. Before the update, the search results actually worked. Confusion at its finest. AI at its highest intelligence. Please fix it so we can actually reap the benefits of what it should offer.

• Also, the search result is sometimes completely different when typing in the exact same phrase.

edited screen

3 Likes

Admittedly a mix bag but

Interestingly BWV.93 ie full stop gives different

I always found the simpler the search the better the result, just 93 is worse !!

I tried BWV 93 the return and got straight to the cantata composition screen

1 Like

Unfortunately

and with fullstop

only when I search by cantata title - bu then, how relevant here is for example Prince???

but as I said, I do own 3 recordings of it

With all previous Roon versions, searching by BWV NUMBER was always spot on

1 Like

Not what I’m seeing a search on BWV 93 gets me the composition page as the Top Result:

Other things are definitely being indexed now compared to before. I am pretty sure the auto-suggestion would show me record labels previously. This is no longer the case.

Auto-suggestions missing:

Result after hitting enter:

1 Like

There is evidently no consistency, and I sympathise with @Alpo. It can’t really help him to know that other users get different results that they find more or less acceptable. It is his problem and need that needs to be addressed. He has lost a useful functionality.

@Alpo, fwiw, when I start the search I get the following screen. My first criticism would be that the search drop down would be a lot more useful if it was wider.

When I hit return on that, I get this screen. I get an album, through which I would have to scroll to find the composition.

So kinda half ok, but could and should be better.

1 Like

Here’s a post I started a few days ago.

Valence has it’s moments, no doubt about it!

Hi all,

I am running ROCK on an Intel NUC. Local database only (no Qobuz/Tidal).

I’ve got 7 albums in the Messthetics series in my collection (numbered 102 through 108).

When I do a search for ‘messthetics’ (via maginifying glass) from the overview screen, Volume 103 shows up as an autofill suggestion:

Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 1.01.59 PM

After I hit ‘Enter’ on the search, however, only 6 volumes of Messthetics are displayed. #103 (which showed up as an autofill suggestion) is not among them.

I originally thought maybe the display was limited to six albums, but there is no ‘View All Albums’ option suggesting an additional, undisplayed result. By contrast, when I search for AC/DC (for whom I also have 7 albums in my collection), I do get the ‘View all albums’ option.

Finally, if I go into ‘Albums’ and filter on the term ‘messthetics’, all 7 volumes do appear!

This is rather confusing. Volume 103 has been indexed so that it shows as an autofill suggestion and in a ‘filter’ request, but is not retrieved in a general search.

I have tried the ‘Force Rescan’ option, and run the library maintenance cleanup options. I have scanned file metadata, and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. Is there any way to peek “under the hood” of how Roon is processing/indexing metadata, or to adjust search settings for more consistency?

Thanks!

@support @noris

Two examples:

1. I own an album by Arcadi Volodos called “Live at Carnegie Hall”. I type in “Arcadi Volodos” into Roon search and, in addition to the artist name, I am given a few other search results including “Live at Carnegie Hall.” I click on “Live at Carnegie Hall” and the top search result is Bill Withers’ “Live at Carnegie Hall” and the Volodos album isn’t even among the top other choices offered. This has happened on numerous occasions with different searches.

2. Suddenly, this phenomenon is happening with lots of artists: Right now, I searched my library for Leif Ove Andsnes. I see a bunch of his albums, which I own, and then, below, in Appearances, is a section called “With Leif Ove Andsnes” which includes some other albums of his that I own (in other words Leif Ove Andsnes as a sideman on albums by Leif Ove Andsnes) There did NOT used to be two Leif Ove Andsnes in Roon’s database, this is new. And is especially maddening because even after a couple of months, there is still no way to merge Artists. This is a new phenomenon and has happened with several artists…including Miles Davis. Roon suddenly seems to think there are two Miles Davis fellas.

I think this may have to do with bad syncing between Qobuz and Roon.

Just putting it out there and I am happy to help trouble shoot…

Hi @Dan_Levy,

Just to clarify, is this one of the suggestions that come up while typing? If you select Live At Carnegie Hall, Roon will search just for that, meaning it will show any available albums not just limited to your library.

The best option would be to search for the album name + artist name here, or just the artist name and navigate to the artist itself. Here’s an example of a search that worked for me:

We currently have a ticket open with our team regarding this behavior. I can’t provide any specific timeframes, but I’ll be sure to update you once new information is available.

Thanks!

Thanks for your response. With respect to the first issue, you must realize how WRONG it is, and what bad practice it is, to suggest “Live at Carnegie Hall” in an artist name search, and then produce the wrong search result when the album title is chosen.

This is not how search should work. If you suggest it, make it meaningful, not diversionary. Ask yourself whether in your general searching life, that would make any sense.

Your suggestion is, of course, a way there, a much more roundabout way. Of course I can select the artist name, click on it, and then see “Live at Carnegie Hall” in my list of albums. But if the album title is presented to me as a search result, by god, send me to the correct album if I click on it.

Not a flame, seriously, but an expression of bafflement, that Roon, which does such great software development, could have flubbed this.

Not sure how related, but trying to find radio stations using keywords isn’t working proper.

filter → FLAC

Ok so flac in the title, but stations with keyword flac?

filter → naim
Ok it’s in the title, it Pops up

What Keywords is that site using

I believe both flac and naim should return the naim station. FLAC as a bareword should return many more stations.

1 Like

Is it worth asking whether you think it is actually worthwhile to try and prioritise results from one’s own library? After all, Focus does not do this, it gives you results from everywhere, with a library icon which you can use or not as you see fit. Maybe there’s mileage in thinking about something similar for the search box search. Maybe a library icon next to the search box. Sometimes I use the search box as a quick way to find something I know I’ve got. Other times I use it to find something I haven’t got, like a new release. Other times I use it to find anything that matches, and I don’t care whether it’s in my library or not.

3 Likes