Roon Security via Profile -- aka "Party Mode" / "Do No Harm" [On roadmap, low on list]

Count me in. Seems like something we should have had quite a while ago.

Thanks,
Vince

This request is four years old. That’s one heck of a backlog.

Sigh, I wish I could do everything myself.

1 Like

Yes, but if it still keeps getting hits it might get higher the radar. :smiley:

And another request for same.

I definitely want a simple privilege mechanism for users. It could be as simple as any operation that will change something (system settings or disk contents) requires a password.

So long as changing users requires the system password, then one could just create a “party” or “guests” user and let them have at it. They won’t be able to change the “system” but can still create their own play lists, etc.

1 Like

Yep - Same here …

–MD

While I care about settings and such, I am most concerned about someone actually deleting physical files.

And another one (again).

I think when a “user” sees that a request is four years old, there’s a bit of a disheartening factor that occurs. Which in turn results in the subsequent “why bother?” effect.

2 Likes

That did not deter me.

Count me in. This is fundamental stuff that needs to be put on top of the list.

2 Likes

+1 for this fundamental feature

1 Like

I would really like to share my music collection with my son. Part of the reason I went with Roon was that it seemed like a music solution my family would be willing/able to use (unlike everything else I’d jury-rigged). I would like to have my son be able to explore with a “go at it” vibe instead of a “no, don’t touch that or it will be a disaster” vibe.

3 Likes

I also find it very strange that this rather simple request has been gathering dust for so many years. It is vital, if you do not want other people accidently messing up your sytem/ collection.

It often seems the main Roonies are blinded by what they use and cannot imagine the scenarios users and customers are stating, putting them off as avery low priority. Again something that has been available forever in LMS “Partymode” with iPeng. A single programmer and the person behind LMS now is also just one person - yet they accomplished this a long time ago.

3 Likes

I’ve posted before in this topic so I guess I’ve had my say … so this is brief +1 to add to the post count.

4 Likes

Yeah, not trying to pad post count. But, as you can see, this was literally one of the first enhancements I thought was needed when first using Roon. As a whole, I think profiles needs (alot) of love.

9 Likes

In my setup, what Roon has access to isn’t my “master” copy, so I can re-create anything that goes missing. For me it’s about having to figure out what’s changed from how I left things.

1 Like

I may as well chime in with a +1 for this feature. Not so much for me, but rather far less technical friends I’m trying to get on the Roon bandwagon. Who don’t have two or three online and offline backups of their library & music/data files. I can recover any damage my drunk’n friends may do; can’t guarantee they can. :wink:

I am a firm believer in having everything backed up to at least one online device and at least two offline devices that are only plugged-in to the computer while performing backup syncs. Too many HD crashes over my three+ or so decades using PCs led me to this. (I will say HD reliability seems higher the last decade; of course I just jinxed myself after saying that) This would address that concern.

One possible solution to this problem is to change the permissions on your music drive to read only. I don’t need to do this - nobody else in my household has much interest in Roon - but I have tested it and it seems to work, i.e. attempting to delete files from within Roon will fail when a drive is set to read only.

3 Likes

I do this to mine…actually you only need to do it for the Roon account access rights…for anyone that didn’t get how…if you use an admin account then I highly recommend setting up a roon specific account with minimalist rights.