Roon Security via Profile -- aka "Party Mode" / "Do No Harm" [On roadmap, low on list]

If you search the forums, you will find

1 Like

How do you disable the delete button, drinks are here OOPS sorry I don’t like ABBA :crazy_face:

My last parties where served by iTunes and Cog on a Mac. iTunes played through the Headphones and Cog was connected to the Amp. So anyone could prelisten a song (many people don’t remember exact songs but just the musician or album) and drag it into the playlist in Cog.

Interestingly I never feared about someone messing up my library. And in iTunes it’s much easier to mess thing up by accident. If someone hits the Enter key on the number block he/she could rename songs.

I never thought of using Roon at a party as I have to explain its usage first. The Users have to learn where the queue is and that they can’t just Drag something onto it.

For me the priorities for a party mode are:

• permanent visible queue with support for drag & drop
  • support for two audio devices, one for the queue and one for prelistening
  • a lock for the queue so that People can’t skip tracks and just add stuff to it. So the dancers are not interrupted.
  • If an iPad/iPhone would serve the party the UI should behave like any other App with at least a back gesture
  • Edit locking will be the last Point on the List as I have Backups.
1 Like

Firstly my kid has grown up with roon, adores it, and uses it seemlessly at 5, even better than others in the house… so thank you for a great product.
As he gets older it is harder to stop him finding the settings and roon radio playing explicit music. I would love a user role for kids that cannot see and change the settings and that has set explicit roon radio off permanently for his user. But do not turn on explicit restrictions for the adults in the house.

The requested feature would need an admin role and granular roles like kids mode to be applied across users.

Additional as he listens to a lot of books a better book view would be awesome, a completely different feature and out of scope here but read to me books would lift roon up even further.

Thanks
J

2 Likes

I’d like a feature so any guest can add tracks but cannot delete tracks or play with settings. Basically a very basic version so people can search and add tracks.

Even if they were to download it and it required a “guest mode” that would require me to enter a password which grays out or shuts off the above privileges.

9 Likes

Maybe do this via a web interface on ROCK and Nucleus. That way it doesn’t require a download or credentials.

Something similar been open since '15

1 Like

Thanks, well, hopefully Roon will take notice and do something.

1 Like

just make all your files ReadOnly at least thats OK to stop deleting - tho there are enough warnings.

and keep daily backups to multiple locations…

till this feature is introduced not much else to do.

what other software is better in this regard?

1 Like

We have 3 family members can they log in with different signatures. Now everyone is using one account. Can there be a guest account for when we have visitors. Can users be restricted?

Hello Marc - I’ve moved your question about a guest account into the existing Feature Request for this feature.

What if… the account that is registered/logged in for the Roon Subscription always creates a Profile for that person. That Profile becomes the account that has the privileges to Enable/Disable Remote access (Enabled by default?) as well as Party Mode and possible the ability to proxy other Profile’s with the same control.

The benefit to this implementation is, as you well know, eliminating the headaches that come with passwords (they got hit by a truck; forgot; out of town, died and all that). I suspect dealing with lost and/or password reset’s isn’t something Roon wants to tackle right now (or ever?). Passwords might be addressed if Roon ever decides to rewrite everything with an Admin account.

I realize this idea certainly will have some holes in it, not the least of which is forcing all accounts that want to use this feature to create that Profile if they haven’t already done so.

1 Like

While we are waiting for this feature to be implemented, the web controller may be a stop-gap for some.

Very bare bones compared to full Roon interface, but functional and safe …

An alternative, if you have a Mac core (I suspect you can do something similar on a PC), is to set the permissions for your music files to Read Only for your user account and Read and Write for ‘admin’. The benefit of this is that Roon can’t delete the files (it runs under your user account), but you can still remove files when logged into an admin account, i.e. you don’t need to reset any files back to Read and Write in order to remove them. There may be some reason that this shouldn’t be done - I’m not familiar enough with permissions to know if this can cause issues that I’m not aware of - but it does seem to work.

+100 for much more effective Profile management, including a master (i.e. administrative) profile and other profiles with controlled access. Optional passwords are needed for profiles.

Accessibility of endpoints should be settable by the administrator.

Most importantly, the ability to Edit the Roon library should be assignable (ON or OFF) for non-administrative profiles.

It makes absolutely no sense to have every profile be able to f*#^% up the library or play to every system. There is no way I’m sharing Roon access to other members of my household until some security is in place. Even if a guest comes into the house with Roon on their phone, they can control everything. This is a huge flaw.

3 Likes

This feature is going to become even more important to me very soon. Using Convolution (Audiolense) as the main control of the system is scary to think someone can really jack things up unintentionally. C’mon Roon!

2 Likes

You should only let flawless guests in your house! :rofl:

4 Likes

‘Take off your shoes when you come in and put your mobile devices in this box by the door!’

1 Like

I see that since voting has been opened that this request has only gathered 4 votes. While I can’t speak for Roon Labs, my suspicion is that unless more people cast their votes here this request will continue to languish at the low priority end of the list for years to come… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes