Roon sees library folder but no tracks or any audio devices

Roon Core Machine

Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5(Gen 3) - No Internal Drive running Sonictransport 2.8

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router/modem: AT&T Internet provided Arris BGW210 connected to Amazon eero mesh WiFi system for whole-home coverage (3-pack)
Switch: TRENDnet 5-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Desktop Metal Switch, Ethernet-Network Switch, 5 x Gigabit Ports, Fanless, 10 Gbps Switching Fabric, Lifetime Protection, Black, TEG-S50g

Connected Audio Devices

Sonore opticalRendu Lite (Roon Only Model), Sonore LPS Connected via TP-Link Fiber Converter, SFP modules, and fiber cables in listening room. ethernet in-wall cable connected to the Trendnet switch

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

After opening Roon 1.8 “(build 831) stable” on any of my 3 remotes (Macbook, iPad, iPhone), Roon Core connects, but library shows 0 tracks. Settings\Storage shows my library: \Synology\foldername “Connected - Watching for files in real time”. Force Rescan does not initiate any scan. Eero app shows all devices working properly and connected to the Network. Synology NAS holding the library is accessible via web browser and DiskStation. I can copy/download files etc. to and from the library folder on Synology from the Macbook. I can access the Sonictransporter via sonicorbiter.com and start apps, run diagnostics etc.
Live Radio shows my saved favorited stations. I don’t subscribe to any streaming services.
Roon shows “No Audio Devices found”. I have previously used the opticalRendu, the internal iPad speaker and the internal Macbook speaker as well as in"other displays category " my Family Room TV by Sony. Clicking “Manage Audio Devices” takes me to a screen with “Audio” as page title and nothing below. No buttons to add devices or any error messages.

Have you tried the good old reboot everything dance?
Certainly at a minimum you need to reboot the Core but I would do everything, wait a few minutes and then power devices back up.

1 Like

Yes, more than once and including rebooting everything in the system.

Are all the files of the type Roon can play, ie FLAC, mp3 etc? Roon does not play WMA for example. All folder and filenames must also not contain certain characters.
Sounds like a network or firewall problem though.

1 Like

Generally, yes. Most are FLAC, AIFF, DSF and wav. I do have some DFF & WAV files that are skipped when scanning marked “incompatible file format”. I have opened a separate support thread for that issue.

Hey @Spencer_Bank

Thanks for letting us know about this. Sorry for the trouble!

Did you complete a fresh install of Roon on the SonicTransport recently? Can you check the Linux Install Guide to make sure that all dependencies were installed?

Please review that guide and also make sure the firewall is properly setup to allow Roon access to your devices.

Let us know if that doesn’t help the situation - thank you! :pray:

@ashley Yes, I’ve done a fresh install and Small Green Computer confirmed “You are all set on all that. The sonic transporter is a certified Roon ready platform.”

@Spencer_Bank I appreciate the extra information.

It sounds like this could be a case of database corruption, more information about this here: Missing All Audio Devices

Could you please install a fresh database in Roon? To do so, please complete these steps:

• Stop RoonServer

• Navigate to your RoonServer’s Database Location

• Find the folder that says “RoonServer”

• Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”

• Reinstall the RoonServer App from our Downloads Page to generate a new RoonServer folder

• On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

• Restore a backup

Let us know if that does not work. Thanks so much!

@ashley I had trouble trying to Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old. My core is Roon Server running on a SonicTransporter, which is Linux-based. I don’t know the under the hood details, but Linux vs. Rock vs. RAAT references/examples in many articles here don’t seem to directly apply to my setup. In Macbook Finder I can navigate to Sonictransport>RoonServerDB folder, but when I right-click, hoping to rename it “old”, rename isn’t an option.

If I right-click on any of the 5 folders within RoonServerDB folder, I can individually rename each of the 5 folders, but haven’t done so yet.

So I then went to the mysonicorbiter.com interface and uninstalled and reinstalled Roon Server. After opening Roon and selecting new core, and entering info for my library folder as
\\Synology\Spencer All Music files started scanning. It took ~12 hours to scan 81,000 tracks. I noticed a few times that the number of tracks/albums scanned etc, momentarily switched to zero, then quickly switched back to show the number in progress and continued to advance the scan.

After scan, Roon now opens and loads but I have the same issue I had originally, with playback stopping frequently and intermittently, messages showing album has been deleted, zero in library and then reappearing and again momentarily functioning as normal. Basically it keeps losing the library and then quickly finds it again.
Meanwhile, Live Radio works fine.

@Spencer_Bank thanks for sharing the screenshot and providing the additional info.

You might not be able to rename the file due to the attempt being made on a mounted disk. For RoonServer on the sonicTransporter i5, you will be able to find your database in one of the following locations, depending on the configuration. The quoted information can also be found in our Database article

Linux Core
1.If you used our “easy installer” scripts, then Roon’s database is located in /var/roon/RoonServer
2.If you ran Roon from the .tar.gz package by executing ./start.sh without configuring the ROON_DATAROOT environment variable, then it will be in $HOME/.RoonServer
3.If you have configured $ROON_DATAROOT manually, then it will be in $ROON_DATAROOT/RoonServer For full details of how Roon is installed on Linux, please see this article.

Once you’re able to find your database and can rename it, please re-attempt the steps once more to reinstall the database.

Thank you!

@ashley I can’t find any folder named RoonServer after searching via Apple Finder for all three of the locations you listed. I think the first one in the list is closest to my setup because the SonicTransporter Roon Diagnostic Page shows this above the log:

Before my Oct23 post I already took the additional step within SonicTransporter to expose the database here:

Prior to doing that, I couldn’t see the folder “RoonServerDB” as in the Oct23 screenshot above.

So please confirm if RoonServerDB is my RoonServer folder that should be renamed or tell me how to find the RoonServer folder. With the device being certified as Roon-Ready, haven’t your team confirmed the setup to allow Roon to provide more specific directions that apply in my case?

I’ve had basically no opportunity to listen to my library for almost a month, and having purchased a device that is the “Roon-only” version, I am getting frustrated with no alternative available. I’m no engineer and feel customers shouldn’t need to learn Linux to solve this type of issue. Please help me with more specific step-by-step direction that definitely applies to my installation. Sorry if it seems like I’m sounding cross.

Hey @Spencer_Bank,

Thanks a bunch for working with @ashley and our team to find a solution to the issue you ran into. I’m hopeful that the instructions below can help get to the database:

Also, I wonder if you’ve had a chance to update Roon to the latest build, 842? We just released it today :nerd_face:

1 Like

@beka thanks for your reply! I followed the instructions in that article, deleted my database, did a full reinstall and connected my library, scanning 81K tracks. I just listened to about 20 tracks without any issues. Will startup again in the morning and see if I can listen all day without losing the library.

Curious about 842. In my SonicTransporter it says I have V1.8 (build 846). Am I time traveling to the near future? Cheers!

Build 846 is the latest build for Linux based cores…which the Sonic transporter is.
This was required for the change made from Mono to .net framework couple days ago.

1 Like

I’m knockin’ on wood, but all is well for two days without any library loss!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.