Roon server appliance from ELAC

RMAF 2015: Roon Discovery server, player from ELAC Americas.

Comments?

@AndersVinberg, wow didn’t see that coming, looking forward to hearing the Roon teams comments.

Russ

Interesting!

Includes Deezer, Rhapsody and TuneIn :grinning:

[quote=John H. Darko]ELAC are running a modified version of Roon on the Discovery with which they have integrated three more streaming services: Deezer, Rhapsody and TuneIn.[/quote]I wonder just how integrated these are.

I do wish the Roon we have supported radio streaming.

Very interesting and a nice price point with the lifetime sub.
No Ethernet library connection ?
Can we expect to see Deezer, Rhapsody and Tunein under our Services tab in the future ?

Edit: Actually on re-reading the article I suspect that I have read too much into “Storage is BYO and connected via USB”. It seems likely that Roon installed on the Discovery will connect to a network library in the usual way.

1 Like

TuneIn with realtime Roon metadata support would be amazing :smile:

Saw this explanation on another site;

Just to be clear about Elac’s upcoming product, the Discovery is designed to be a self-contained device, and has a built-in limited version of Roon Server installed on it. It won’t have all of Roon’s features like lyrics, DSD and high-resolution formats, or the ability to stream to PCs, AirPlay speakers, and Roon Ready devices from our partners. The license is tied to the device rather than to you as a customer, so it’s not a Roon Lifetime license, either.

My question is if you already have a lifetime license will/can that be reflected in the hardware?

@Beau_Ranheim can you provide a link to where you saw that? Would like to read it.

Am i correct in believing that it wont be able to communicate to another Roon Server/Endpoint? If so im not sure i understand the purpose of the product, unless it is for someone who will just every use Roon at one location + a tablet for control but even then at the last projected cost one could but a NUC + lifetime subscription and have a lot more functionality for the same price.

Kevin,

Here’s where I took the quote from.

Thanks @Beau_Ranheim , I hadn’t seen Enno’s clarification to the DAR article and it is.certainly something for users to take into account. Access to other streaming services and internet radio would not outweigh the limitations described above for me, but it may be just the thing for others.

Trying to figure out whether current lifetime users will be able to “upgrade” the software in the box or whether purchasers would be stuck with the limitations in the box.

Let’s leave some notifications for @danny and @mike as to whether they can clarify what occurs when an existing Roon subscriber buys an Elac Discovery. I believe that it is usually undesirable for Roon to have two Cores operating simultaneously on the same network, so it is an interesting situation.

Edit: See Danny’s post below. Two Cores can play nicely together in Roon.

Thanks Beau. While i had read the original article like @andybob i hadn’t seen the update.

To you second question my guess is no. The way i interpret the device is that the Discovery is running a specialized version of the software versus a full version with features disabled via the license. Without a lot of expertise i just don’t see there being a way to upgrade the software even if one were to buy a lifetime subscription, though i could easily be wrong.

As i guess earlier this devices appeal is the turnkey solution part but it is limited in its functionality and really seems designed around one point of operation. I can see the appeal in this for some folks but to me the costs outweigh the benefits.

Im guessing we’ll hear more of whats instore at CES. While he discovery isn’t for me, I do love the design of the piece. Im really hoping ELAC releases a similar product that runs the RAAT, i believe, protocol for endpoint use. I would easily pay a couple of hundred bucks for a few of them as out of the box solutions to stream from my core.

Just to be clear about Elac’s upcoming product, the Discovery is designed to be a self-contained device, and has a built-in limited version of Roon Server installed on it. It won’t have all of Roon’s features like lyrics, DSD and high-resolution formats, or the ability to stream to PCs, AirPlay speakers, and Roon Ready devices from our partners. The license is tied to the device rather than to you as a customer, so it’s not a Roon Lifetime license, either.

The purpose of our partnership with Elac is to provide a simple, turn key version of the Roon experience, but there will always be features in our Annual and Lifetime memberships that are only available by upgrading.

this stuff was in an early build, and shouldn’t have made it out the door. It is not actually being released. The press has jumped the gun :smile:

not true… I run multiple cores at home all the time… dev and stable :smile:

This is a common misconception because of how Sooloos worked. We’ve overcome those issues.

1 Like

Danny, thanks for that clarification. Are there any hardware streamers in the pipeline that will allow a full version of Roon to run? This would allow me to remove the computer out of my system, which is what I was hoping the ELAC streamer would do.

The Sonore ÎĽRendu is the streamer (you need a separate USB DAC) that I am waiting for.

You however still need a server to tun Roon on.

There are many on the way, but I can’t take the thunder out of their announcements :smile:

That is pretty much exactly what i’m looking for. Bookmarked the thread on ComputerAudiophile about it and hope to see more on its release as well as other products soon.

Danny, I understand about the thunder but can you tell us if lifetime members will be able to seamlessly migrate to stand alone hardware if that hardware doesn’t come with a lifetime sub.

Also with regard to the Discovery, is it a hardware limitation, that the software will be limited or would it be possible migrate a full version to the box?