Roon server becomes unresponsive after idling

There was a service issue with Roon ARC that should now be resolved. Please try again.

2 Likes

thank you, it did resolve itself, however, the issue started again today, worked well, and then suddenly “poor connection”. initial issue had been fixed

Roon Labs are investigating the issue. Please see:

1 Like

thank you, however, the original issue still persists, where roonserver itself will not communicate with roon remote without restarting. Ethernet adapter power options have been turned off and pc is not sleeping nor is it on lock screen

i don’t believe this is a network issue because: 1, the issue with roon remote constantly buffering on all pages also occurs in the roon remote on the same machine as the server and 2, that only restarting roonserver only causes the issue to happen again a few minutes later, so only a restart can fix it(temporarily)

Sorry, thought you were referring to the “poor connection” message.

1 Like

Hi @traumerei,

Thank you for reporting back. I have done some deep digging into your diagnostics and found some oddities. Roon logging is filling up with failed and constant audio analysis attempts.

There is also a whole host of corrupt file errors. I can’t give you all of them but here’s an example:

02/07 22:11:50 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract audio format from 'E:\bflac\Hatsuki Yura\Honey Bee - Limited Edition\5. Kōfuku no akai hana .mp3': CorruptFile

Can you show me what this screen shows you? Roon>Settings>Library>Clean up library

One other possibility is that the backup location is set to be the same storage location as a watched folder. Can you confirm that isn’t the case? (Roon>Settings>Backups>View and Roon>Settings>Storage)

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

will try. my library is very messy because it used to be on multiple drives. thank you very much. I’ve also noticed that arc issues have not been about core idle and rather that once i start playback, it inevitably loses connection until I restart the core after a few songs. i will see if fixing my library works.

I’m thinking that the excess of errors is causing a crash. If you can verify these things and we can eliminate them as a potential cause of the crash, I can have someone look into this deeper for us. Please do let me know!

Wes

1 Like

i’ve cleaned up everything that roon detects, I will see if the issue repeats again.

1 Like

i’ve tried it, and it certainly does seem more stable, and it worked well for about a day, until I changed from cellular to wifi while using arc, when roonserver became unresponsive as soon as the next song came on. This is the same issue as i started with, when roon remote was also affected. Maybe just maybe it was a fluke, but I’m not too sure

happened again, this time it was just skipping a song. I will clean up the library manually to see if that helps or if its just a roon arc issue(probably)

issue confirmed to reoccur even without library errors detected. If manually cleaning library doesn’t work, i will reinstall roonserver.

Hi @traumerei,

Sorry for being slow to respond. I’ve been out of the office.

When you reinstall Roon Server, do it this way please.

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon” and “RAATServer”
  • Rename “Roon” to “Roon_old” and “RAATServer” to “RAATServer_old” There is also a RoonServer folder to be renamed.
  • Reinstall Roon Server and Roon Remote from our Downloads Page

If the issue duplicates, get me a date/time and whatever was playing when it happened and I will track this down.

Wes

1 Like

Thank you, I would like to avoid that as far as possible, so I will pursue other avenus first

indeed, issue reappears despite library cleaning. I’m suspecting my enterprise refurbished hard drive may be the cause of it with tiny read errors maybe. will shift library to SSD to isolate the issue.

persists despite ssd and clean library

reoccurs despite new install, fresh library and clean library, happened around 2340 GMT March 6

Hi @traumerei,

Can you confirm that the new installation was completed with the directions I provided?

Also, I am trying to get the logging for your Roon Server instance but it’s not responding to my requests. This may be due to the issues you’re facing but I’d like to take a look. Can you get it back up and running for me?

Thanks,
Wes

new installation was done correctly, roon server machine was off for a hard drive change and I didn’t turn it back on, will be on constantly now. sorry for any trouble