Roon server crashes and restarts with no indication of trouble in the log files

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC (Core I7-8650U CPU @ 1.90GHz x8)
Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Setup 1: Cable Modem (provider issued, Telenet, Belgium) → Fritzbox 6890LTE (configured as switch)-> Roon Core
Setup 2: Cable Modem → Icidu NI-707543 Gigabit Switch 8-port → Roon Core
All wire, no wifi. All storage local on the machine.

Connected Audio Devices

Mola-Mola Makua with Networked DAC, connected via the Icidu switch in both set-ups.
Kii Control, connected over USB directly on the core

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

A few times per day, roon disappears from the network for a few minutes. Presumably always during playback, although I wouldn’t know if it also happened when I’m not listening to music. Remote shows “looking for core” and then resurfaces. Remote opens with the page it had on when it crashed, and pressing play will restart the track that was playing to within a few seconds.
Looking at log files shows simply that at the time a crash happens a log file ends, with no error message at all. Next log file simply shows normal start-up as though you’d just turned the software on. Again, no message indicating that anything untoward has happened.

Happens regardless of whether I’m playing over USB or networked endpoint.

The problem has persisted through several updates of both OS and Roon software, and changes to the network. But it’s getting annoying now since it seems corona season is over (hah!) and I’m about to start lugging the system round trade shows doing demos.

Another problem is the remote crashing regularly. Both a PC remote (wired) and an iOS remote. Especially the latter is unable to stay open for more than 5 minutes.

OK I might have done that before posting, some homework. Since the Roon log files give no indication I thought to see if there’s some sort of system log thingy on Linux. That told me that:

16:33:05 RAATServer: Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
16:33:05 RAATServer: a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries

Googling SIGSEGV yielded this post: SIGSEGV in Roon Server

At the start of the whole cascade I find

16:33:05 NetworkManager: [1634653985.2975] policy: set ‘Kii-Purifi’ (wlp1s0) as default for IPv4 routing and DNS
16:33:05 NetworkManager: [1634653985.6084] manager: NetworkManager state is now CONNECTED_GLOBAL
16:33:05 NetworkManager: [1634653985.6113] policy: set ‘Wired connection 1’ (eno1) as default for IPv4 routing and DNS

So somehow it decides to switch to my Wifi and then back to wired? I’ll disable wifi and see what pans out.

Hi @Bruno_Putzeys and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you’re probably suffering from known issues with NetworkManager:

3 Likes

Hi Bruno, and welcome to our community!

I’d suggest you configure your Ubuntu with a static IP. I and others suffered your problem, and at last we found that with a static IP assigned to the Ubuntu machine the problem goes away. Don’t forget to have that static IP reserved for your NUC’s Ethernet MAC on your router.

1 Like

Thanks @BlackJack and @Andreas_Philipp1 , lovely to see so much work has already been done on this. I’ll try the ambitious option first (working around NetworkManager), then the practical one (fixed IP). And of course curious to see if the big update they’re rolling out for Linux platforms might cover this problem too.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.