Roon server failed to start after installation on Fedora 33

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Fedora 33

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WiFi over 5G

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Android with Roon remote to Roon Server

Description Of Issue

After following the steps to install Roon Server on a Linux machine (ran the roonserver script with sudo), installation was successful. Although, I couldn’t find Roon Core on my Roon Remote App. So what I did was systemctl status roonserver.service:

ystemctl status roonserver.service
● roonserver.service - RoonServer
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/roonserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2020-11-29 10:56:50 CET; 4min 21s ago
    Process: 15020 ExecStart=/opt/RoonServer/start.sh (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
   Main PID: 15020 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
        CPU: 2ms

Nov 29 10:56:50 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Started RoonServer.
Nov 29 10:56:50 localhost.localdomain systemd[15020]: roonserver.service: Failed to execute command: Permission denied
Nov 29 10:56:50 localhost.localdomain systemd[15020]: roonserver.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /opt/RoonServer/start.sh: Pe>
Nov 29 10:56:50 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: roonserver.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Nov 29 10:56:50 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: roonserver.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

So even tho I ran the script as sudo the service got permission denied when it tried to start.
I’ve managed to run it by sudo /opt/RoonServer/start.sh, but I’m wondering how can I fix this, so the server can start automatically on boot.

Configure SELinux to allow Roon to access the needed files/folders. Also don’t forget to open the relevant ports in the firewall or disable the FW completely. All this is just a guess based on my experience with my CentOS 7 Server. See also:

1 Like

I’ve changed SELinux to permissive and Roon started successfully. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi @Ricardo_Ambrogi,

Welcome to the forum and for letting us know that @BlackJack’s suggestion resolved the issue with Roon starting up! If you have any further difficulties, please just let us know!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.