Roon Server maxes out on SonicTransporter i5

Dear @support

I am running Roon Server on a SonicTransporter i5. For a while now, the Roon Server process is maxing out the cpu. So much that it hinders everything else on the SonicTransporter i5. Audio playback still works just fine, but the unit gets real hot, can no longer do any package updates or shutdown/reboot the unit via the web user interface.

The remainder of my setup consists of a Totaldac attached to a Sonicorbiter SE RoonReady Endpoint, and a Roon Remote running on a i7-4960 16GB 256SSD. Music is stored on a Synology DS713+. Everything is connected via a wired gigabit network.

I first reached out to @agillis, who had a look at the SonicTransporter i5 remotely. To him, the unit itself looked fine, but he noticed the Roon process was maxing out. When I power cycle the SonicTransporter, the unit runs fine again. But after a few days, the issues reappear.

Appreciate if we could narrow down and solve this problem. If you guys need more info, let me know and I will provide it.

I looked at what is going on and Roon should be doing very little. No upsampling etc is going on in fact nothing is playing. But it get’s itself into a state when it is using up almost all the CPU.

Maybe @Nepherte can send you the logs. I looked at them but didn’t see anything obvious

1 Like

Hi @Nepherte ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your observations with us.

If you want to dump us a set of logs from your SonicTransporter we can definitely take a look. Can you send me them via a dropbox download link in a PM?

-Eric

Hi @Eric ,

I will upload clean logs as soon as I’ve reprodued the issue again. As I’ve explained, a reboot solves the issue for a limited amount of time (days). In the mean time, I’m doing some trial & error myself.

I’ve eliminated backups as cause of the issue by disabling periodic backup to Dropbox. Currently, I’m investigating whether shutting down the NAS every night causes the problem by not doing it. Let’s see how this goes. If the issue occurs again, will post logs that hopefully explain what is going on.

Regards,
Bart

1 Like

Hi @Eric

Just a quick update. Roon Server still going strong after a week, ie. no process maxing out. Before this, it would have done so within 5 days. Number 1 suspect for me now is turning on/off my Synology NAS every night, as this is the only variable in my setup that has changed now. Perhaps the watched folder being unavailable somehow causes the process to max out. Will try to reproduce this again and report back with logs.

Regards,
Bart

Hi @Eric,

The unit crashed again, so it seems to be reproducible. You can find the logs at https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5e8hz9hz7teyw0/RoonServerLogs.zip?dl=0

Hi @Nepherte ---- Thank you for the follow up! Confirming that your logs have been received and are in our queue to be evaluated!

-Eric

Hi @Nepherte ---- Thank you for your patience here. My tech team has begun their evaluation of your logs/my report and as per their request may I kindly ask you to please provide me with the following:

1. Please verify how you are measuring the CPU usage on the Sonic Transporter.

2. Please dump us a full set of logs after your experience this issue again.

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

1. CPU usage was measured using the old school way by @agillis He ssh’ed into the SonicTransporter and ran the top command (as far as I recalled it was ± 398%). I can no longer verify the cpu usage again (only the symptoms as described in initial post). I don’t know the exact credentials. Perhaps Andrew can provide them to me.

2. The logs that were provided are what I consider a full set of logs. I cleared all the old logs, rebooted the SonicTransporter, and ± one day after the reboot, the issue appeared. So the log contains about 1 day of data, going from clean reboot till the issue popped up. Let me know if that is not what you are looking for.

Regards,
Bart

Thanks for touching base with me @Nepherte! I believe I’ve got what I need but will confirm with my team and then follow up. Appreciate the insight!

-Eric

Any update on this issue? I am seeing my ST i5 running hot and periodically shutting down as well. My music library is also on a Synology Nas.
I have the ST i5 sitting on a laptop cooler to try and control the temp.