Verizon Fios 5G router
Playing to a Wiim Pro on ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Wiim Pro connected to Denon receiver
Both are on ethernet

Number of Tracks in Library

3368 tracks

Description of Issue

Sometimes when I wake my laptop up, the Roon Server does not wake back up. So when I try to load either the UI on the same machine or use the remote on my phone, nothing happens. It shows me my library but it won’t play anything. The only solution is to quit Roon Server and reload it.

After that the UI will connect and work.

Although I did just have the Android remote fail to connect after the server was restarted and I had to uninstall the app from my phone and reinstall it in order for it to find the server.

Hi @Lora_Friedenthal,

This is an odd issue indeed! The first thing I would check would be the PC’s sleep settings. Is the computer disconnecting from your network when going idle?

If you test out an ethernet connection with your laptop, It will likely help with your issue.

Another test - if you disable Sleep, Hibernation and Hybrid Sleep, and just have the screen turn off after a selected amount of time, does the same issue occur?

I didn’t have hibernate set. The laptop is only either On but the screen went dark after a few minutes or Sleep when the lid is closed. I can turn off sleep when the lid is closed. Although that rather defeats the purpose of ever closing the laptop. I expect Roon to shut off and be unreachable when the computer running it is asleep. But it should come back from sleep correctly when the computer turns back on.

I will leave sleep off for a while and see, but I would be surprised if it recurs.

So yes, with Sleep disabled, I don’t run into the problem. But I don’t think that’s a solution to “Roon Server doesn’t come back from sleep”. It’s still a problem that it doesn’t recover from this state properly.

Hey @Lora_Friedenthal,

It’s worth noting that normally, a server is set up to never sleep. Thinking long-term, it may help you to dedicate Roon Server to a device you won’t rely on for sleep settings like you would a laptop.

As a next step, we’ll still want to review your Roon Server logs. Could you please reproduce the issue and share the specific date, time and (if applicable) name of the track playing when the issue occurs?

Once you let me know this info, I’ll go ahead and enable diagnostics for your account so I can review the logging for clues.

If you’d rather do it yourself manually, please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

Thanks!

Ok! Next time it happens, I will reply here with the info. :+1: