Roon Server on Synology DSM 7 Situation

I have 6T of music. If I read correctly, roon advice against putting the database on a standard HD for quality reason.

I am just trying roon. I see many people are big fans, but as for me, I still have doubts about its worthiness, but I’ll give it a try. Well, if this is not corrected and I know it is not easy), I will stop my trial soon, And come back when DSM 7 issues are solved !

The database needs to be accessible quickly. HDs can take several seconds to spin up when idle, and have fairly significant latency when reading and writing which can cause issues with playback. For these reasons, the database is best stored on SSD.

Same here for me. Any ideas?

@CvK @Sebastien_Paule
Sorry for the confusion. This is actually a leftover from previous test in regards to a web user interface for the Roon Server. It should not open anything at all and I will have it fixed for the final Synology Installer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I see. Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

And I forgot to mention that I am indeed able to access Roon from macOS and Android clients. Thank you for your work :slight_smile:

Hello, if an update is made to the beta package please post the link here. I am using it with some quicks but is working.

My principal annoyance since the dsm7 installer, my server is constantly restarting and loosing connection, when had the older installer and started by ssh this issue was not present. Sometimes I need to restart my synology for things to work a little more, or manually stop and start the app.

In my case sometimes is a little frustrating as this happens in a middle of a music for example.

Do you think that a M2 ssd cache and storing the database in the HD could be an alterative and render the same performance as having the Roon database in an SSD drive?

There’s no reason why it couldn’t, however bear in mind a cache is an extra link in the chain and can increase the chance of database corruption.

WHat I have done is very simple: I bought a 64G very small USB key (cruzer fit), and I plugged it into one of the Synology port. So it is very discret, you don’t even notice it; you can leave it forever on the NAS; and I put the roon database on it (well that was before I moved to DSM 7 :frowning: )

The issue is that you can’t decide what goes on the cache so this would not work as well as an internal or USB SSD (the later works well already)

true. I was hoping that the database files will automatically be stored in the cache if Synology detects that they are frecuently accessed by Roon. I’m going to try it, at least until I can use again a usb SSD and I’ll let you know if I see any improvement!

Badaboum :frowning:
My APP Windows 10 Roon version asked for an update. After that update, Roon APP is no longer connecting. The SERVER seems to work but when APP (Win10 but the same with iPhone) tries to connect they asked for login, password and after completed, do not find the server (like if it was the first setup)
It’s so annoying, am i alone ?

Did you perhaps accidentally click, to use you Win10 system as a core?
You can check your currently used core by going into the settings. In the General section it is displayed at the top of the page. If this core is your Win10 computer, click Logout.
You will be asked to choose your core afterwards again and your Synology Core should appear there.

(The username and password only have to be entered to authorize a core.)

Thanks but I that’s not the case.
i have a first screen - I can choose my SERVER and I choose the NAS where is the server (color is Ready I click on the server not “Use this PC”)
Then, I have the screen with login/password.
It’s logging after, long logging, the “You already signed…”
Same with my iPhone

ok. Click the “Deauthorize” button when you’ve been presented with the “You already signed…” screen appears. I made changes to the DSM6 installation, to correctly store the Roon ID. This is not yet implemented in the DSM7 spk.
The reauthorisation issue seems to happen when home folders for Synology users are disabled, which is why I did not spot this issue earlier.

1 Like

WOW. That’s pure magic ! :wink: it’s working again with yr help. Thank you so much :slight_smile:

1 Like

@crieke thank you very much for the DSM7 beta, it works perfectly on my NAS DS1621+.
With DSM 7.0 the vSwitch problem seems to be gone. I can see all my Airplay devices within Roon. Great! So I do not need any more my Roon Rock VM on my Diskstation as work around.

1 Like

I was too fast assuming everything working fine.
I have one problem:
The TIDAL connection is not able to play songs.
To play local files I have no problems, everything works fine. But as soon as I select a “online” song directly form TIDAL is does not play. It looks like there is no connection.
Any ideas, what could be the root cause?
I went back to my Roon Rock VM installation (reactivating my Roon account there). There I do not have this describe issue, TIDAL is playing fine.
Any ideas, why it is working on VM but not directly on my NAS?

@Munich: can you check if you are able to play local aac files?