Roon Server on Synology DSM 7 Situation

Tidal makes some slowdowns, for me restarting the nas makes roon work better. There are some issues like loosing connection on iPad sometimes, deactivating tidal make roon work better unfortunatly, more stable and faster.

I miss the automatic add music of the folders, and since 1.8 music starts slow, with 1.7 was instant, now is a bug that annoys me. Press play and have o wait a few seconds, skip a track and also sometimes skipping is not instant have to wait. But could be an 1.8 issue and not DSM.

1 Like

I do not use aac files. But I converted one album to aac. No, Roon spk was not able to read it / identify it as music files within Roon. Additionally I tested it with my Roon Rock VM, it was unable to read it, too. So same problem with both versions.

Or did I misunderstand your request?

I tested the aac files with Plex, running on the same NAS. Plex is able to read these aac files and I can stream it to my end-points.

Since latest roon update my dsm7 roon install keeps crashing constantly restarting the server. For 2 or 3 days I am practically unable to use it. This is frustrating, I will have to buy a Nuc in the future, but now is impossible.

Update. Removed roon database, started from scratch and now is working again. Roon has indexed all files now and is stable.

In my case (DS1621+) latest Roon update is running stable on DSM 7.0. Besides the issue that aac files respectively the acc stream of Tidal is not playing.
When Roon is not working on DSM 7.0, I can recommend is to install Roon Rock as a virtual machine on your NAS (see Installing ROCK as a VM on a Synology NAS that supports VMM). In my case this works without any problems. Even so I would prefer to run Roon on my NAS as SPK package, because I think that this is more resource-efficient, but I am not sure.

1 Like

It definitely is more efficient as an SPK or Docker container, as then it will use proper resource sharing.
Running as a VM requires dedicated cores and RAM.

Good to know it still runs on DSM7.0 though.

Iā€™m having what sounds like exact same issue - was this ever solved?
Sorry - quick recap - wiped old version and all files, Restarted NAS (918+) manually installed with new beta installer onto external samsung SSD as beforeā€¦ Install seems to have worked but package wonā€™t start, when tried to ā€œrepairā€ got the same ā€œfailed to run package serviceā€ messageā€¦ Kinda stuck nowā€¦
Also looks like thereā€™s no data in the RoonServer folder, so not really sure now if anything workedā€¦

I was unable to make it work on external SSD. Moved RoonServer share back to local storage and it works as expectedā€¦

Thanks - will try same, hope performance isnā€™t too impacted too badly moving from SSD to western digital Redā€¦

1 Like

Is there a general issue with Roon playing AAC files under DSM7 or is this restricted to Tidal AAC streams?

Iā€™m curious as Iā€™m ripping all my audio books to AAC and it would hurt not being able to listen to them after the upgrade (in which case Iā€™d probably not do it).

On my Synology Diskstation with DSM7 Roon is not able to play any AAC files. Not the Tidal ACC streams nor local ACC files.
On the same Synology Diskstation Plex is running. With Plex I have no problems at all, Plax is able to play local ACC files and is able to stream Tidal AAC. Strange?!?

Yes, the issue occurs on DSM7 (also mentioned in my post about the beta release for DSM7 quite some posts above). Like on QNAP, this is a also a missing codec on DSM7 and I will be looking into it.

Thank you very much for your support. Please let me know if I can assist you.

Sorry itā€™s been a while, but I moved RoonServer to internal storage on spinning drive, and it seems to work fine again without too much penalty in performanceā€¦ Thanks for all the help here! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any news here? Should I try Docker version? Is there a guide? Thank you

Update / Repair failed with DSM7 RC.

Is there a new beta release?

I had no issues here with the previous Roon Server for DSM7 beta here.
But I am planning to focus on the DSM7 port next and hope to address a few issues.

3 Likes

No issues on RC DSM 7.41882 however after updating I had to unauthorize Roon and reconnect my Tidal account.

Well, after seeing your post I uninstalled Roon and tried fresh-installing the beta build. Now, it works, but I need to restore my database :slight_smile:

1 Like

With the new DSM 7 RC (DSM 7.0-41882) I have some issues too with Roon when fetching music from Tidal (especially MQA files).

I get lotā€™s of stuttering to the point I canā€™t enjoy music. As I can see from the signal path it has to do with Roon passing the MQA files to my iFi Zen Dac v2 (has full MQA decoding capability). Sometimes it auto-heals when I restart the Roon Server at Synology.
With local MQA files, it just works as it should.
Btw, the behaviour is the a little better when I leave all MQA decoding to Roon, but the issue is still there.

With Roon + Tidal MQA file

roon-mqa-tidal

With Roon + Local MQA file

roon-mqa-local

As I said, there are times where the issue gone when I restarted the server, but it comes back at some point.
Not even sure if this is the correct topic to post this. Sorry if itā€™s not :slight_smile:

Until I get the green light Iā€™m staying with DSM 6 on 1621+ for now.

Following along to see how this progresses.

1 Like