Roon Server on Synology DSM 7 Situation

I have put together a beta build of Roon Server for DSM7.
It might still have issues and I am researching if they can be solved.

Currently these issues are known:

• New audio files not added immediately to Roon’s Library
  • Network shares can’t be mounted within Roon (See current workaround below)
  • AAC streams might fail
  • there is no audio support for local USB Audio devices (and as it currently seems, it won’t be possible)

Network shares require root permissions, which are no longer allowed for Third-Party apps on DSM7. You can still mount a network share in Synology File Station.

By default an app is executed as its own user. This user has no permissions to read or write any files on the Diskstation. Because of that, you’ll be asked during installation where to store Roon Server’s database and in which shared folder your music files are stored. This is required to give Roon Server permissions to write in its specified database directory and read access to your music files (Roon Server will have no permissions to write or modify files in your specified music shared folder. Yay!!)
:slight_smile:

In Roon’s browser you can only browse your specified music directory. If you need access to other folders, you can give Roon Server access to it. You just need to go to Control PanelShared Folders, select the shared folder and click Edit. Go to the Permissions-tab and switch from “Local Users” to “System Internal User”. There you can give read or write permissions to the RoonServer user.

Download Roon Server for DSM7 beta from my RoonOnNAS website

11 Likes