Roon Server on Synology DSM 7 Situation

Hi @crieke, i just installed the beta package that you provided (thank you very much for your work) on a fresh DSM 7 (7.0-41882) NAS (DS 720+) and everything is working as supposed except for the fact that the package wont automatically start after a NAS reboot. There is whatever a “Repair” button activated, once clicked all is good. Is this a problem on the beta package side, or on my side? (settings or whatever).

1 Like

Ok, I’m back to say that my issue was totally unrelated to DSM or Roon or @crieke’s Roon for Synology package!

As it seems the cause of the stuttering performance was due to the iFi Power X. I really can’t understand what was causing the brick to operate this way but a hint from another thread lead me to disconnect the iFi ZEN DAC v2 from iPower X. Then everything went back to normal.

Unfortunately this made having second thoughts about iFi products.

2 Likes

Thanks for feeding back.

Well, I guess I should’ve expected this. It was good to be true. My issue came back after a couple of hours. So, I’ve done more testing and here’s what I have.

With the exact same setup

• Synology DSM 7 with Roon Core v1.8 b795
  • Macbook Pro with Roon Remote app v1.8 b795 and TIDAL app v2.28.0.275
  • 1Gb Ethernet network
  • 200Mb optical fibre cable internet connection
  • DAC #1: ifi ZEN Dac v2 (full MQA capabilities)
  • DAC #2: Zorloo Ztella USB DAC with MQA (MQA rendering capabilities)
  • Speakers: Edifier S2000MK III
  • Song: Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue in D Minor, BWV 903: Fantasia by 2L on TIDAL

with TIDAL app and:

• :white_check_mark: Zorloo Ztella: MQA playback as expected
  • :white_check_mark: iFi ZEN DAC v2: MQA playback as expected

with Roon and:

• :white_check_mark: Zorloo Ztella as MQA Renderer: MQA playback as expected
  • :x: iFi ZEN DAC v2 as MQA Decoder and Renderer: MQA playback is stuttering
  • :white_check_mark: iFi ZEN DAC v2 as MQA Renderer: MQA playback as expected

I guess it has to be something with Roon and iFi ZEN DAC v2 as full MQA decoder after all that triggered either by a Roon change or the DSM update.
I’m giving up for now. Pretty disappointed. And I’m not really hunting down MQA playback but I’m expecting everything to work as promised. :frowning:

HI @CvK,
I have no insight, what this issue might be about. So I am unsure if this could also be caused by missing codecs of ffmpeg in DSM7. I am currently working on the DSM7 installation (The current version of Roon Server for DSM7 is still beta) and I am planning to add support for custom ffmpeg version for DSM7 as well. Can’t make any promises here, but maybe this might bring a change…

2 Likes

Thank you @crieke.

I’ve tried also to check the logs but couldn’t extract any valueable info. Hope the issue is indeed the ffmpeg. Thank you for your effort. Btw, my post was not to put the blame on you by any means. :slight_smile:

no problem. just wanted to point out, that the current Roon Server DSM7 installation was quite an early release with known issues. That’s also why I have only put it here in the community board for download.

Will those following here know when a stable release is out for us to update?

Your work is very much appreciated.

So, the last beta is the one from february? Thank you

FINALLY DSM 7 HAS BEEN RELEASED TODAY! 29/6 .

Update at your own Choice

download goto Synology.com → Downloads → Choose NAS → Choose DSM 7

They have made it so you have to manually download it for the next week instead of Auto Updating from the BETA and RC.

1 Like

I will wait for it to show up in DSM, I want rock solid stability.

The only way to have rock stability in IT is to unplug everything, box it and ship it back to the manufacturer(s)! :partying_face:

2 Likes

:rofl: I will deploy when it’s stable enough.

Just updated and everything seems to work fine. After a reinstall of Roon i couldn’t select any of my audio devices. They showed up in the settings but not as a playback device. I then restored the latest backup and everything works like before. Thanks @crieke for the great work.

@Rdg - are you running the beta installer that @crieke posted here in February? Or the release installer from him website?

Thanks!

Is there a release installer now?

My question was ambiguous. When I wrote “release installer”, I meant the installer downloadable from here: https://roononnas.org/en/synology/

which is currently dated March 2021 and which I believe does not contain @crieke’s DSM 7 changes.

Hello,
I cannot find the link where to download the beta version compatible with DSM 7.
Can you give them to me please ?
Arnaud

Edit : Found : Roon Server on Synology DSM 7 Situation - #47 by crieke

I managed to get Roon to install but am getting an error trying to connect from a Roon client. I’m getting a site can’t be reached error with my server’s IP.

The IP is correct however, and I can access my Plex server.

Is there a step to let it through the Synology firewall?

Thanks

This is the same problem I am having. I am also running the Roon Beta. Hopefully issues will be fixed with official release of Roon for DSM 7.