Roon Server on Ubuntu using 30GByte V Ram / Regularly dropping out

Roon Core Machine

System: Intel NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U) , 16GByte RAM, 1TByte NVMe HD.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

GBit ethernet, various NETGEAR switches.
Music is stored on a NAS accessed over SAMBA.

Connected Audio Devices

Roon nodes: Roopieee (gb ethernet), Windows (gb ethernet), Android Phone (wifi).
Local audio: USB SMSL SU-9 DAC.
Video: HDMI, not used for audio.

Number of Tracks in Library

5,000 tracks
Also Qobuz.

Description of Issue

Roon version 2.0 build 1272.

When running, RoonAppliance uses 10GByte RAM (30GByte of virtual RAM), and about half a core of CPU. When connecting with Android or playing on remote nodes the connection frequently drops out for a few minutes. When the windows client is open I frequently see “waiting for roon core” pop up when nothing is playing. I guess the mean time between failure when playing on a roon node is 2-3 tracks, i.e. essentially unusable.

Nothing else running on the machine suffers from networking issues, nothing else has problems connecting to the NAS, or using the audio.

(just another Ubuntu 22.04.2 user) There have been a few reports of similar memory leak & slowdown problems, but it’s not a general problem on this platform. I have 30k tracks on an internal SSD, Roon Server is using 26.6G virtual, 798M real, snappy response.

I was struggling with memory use on Linux until I came across this post. Roon Server memory (RAM) consumption on Linux without vm.swappiness = 0

Hi @Simon_Gates ,

Apologies for the slow response here. I noticed that you have since switched your Roon Core over to a Windows 11 PC, are you still seeing issues there or were the issues limited to the Ubuntu install?

Hi,

It was just the Linux install that had problems (although there are a few minor niggles on Windows).

I switched to my desktop because the Linux server install was unusable, but I would prefer to use the Linux box because that machine is always on anyway and is only used as a media server.

Although now I’ve been using it for a while, it seems to crash on windows every couple of days, but only when I’m using it. This is a recent problem, as it’s been pretty stable up until now.

What does windows event viewer say?

Nothing, and the last crash dump is from March, so presumably it’s just deciding to exit for some reason…

Ah, I’ve found the logs, this was the last entry:

06/30 12:15:53 Info: 
Local Time:            06/30/2023 12:15:53 +01:00
Device Serial Number:  253164B4-F88D-450D-875C-1E0EA235A165
User Id:               [deleted]
Roon Version:       2.0 (build 1277) production
OS Version:            Windows 11

Application Domain:    Roon
Assembly Codebase:     file:///C:/Users/msdn/AppData/Local/Roon/Application/200001277/Roon.dll
Assembly Full Name:    Roon, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

CPU0 Description:      AMD64 Family 25 Model 80 Stepping 0 3401 MHz (64-bit)
CPU0 Num Cores:        Physical: 6 Logical: 12

GPU0 Description:      AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics 512 MB
GPU0 Video Mode:       3840 x 2160 x 4294967296 colors
GPU0 Driver Version:   31.0.14057.2005

SCREEN0 Name:          \\.\DISPLAY1 (primary)SCREEN0 Bounds:        0,0 3840x2160

SCREEN1 Name:          \\.\DISPLAY2 SCREEN1 Bounds:        -3840,6 3840x2160

Exception Source:      System.Private.CoreLib
   Exception Type:        System.ArithmeticException
   Exception Target Site: Math.Sign
   Exception Message:     Function does not accept floating point Not-a-Number values.
   Exception Data:        none

--[ Stack Trace ]------------
   System.Math.Sign(Double value)
       System.Private.CoreLib.dll, IL 52, N -1463384537
   Broo.Engine.Flickable2.ProcessFrameSmoothScrolling(Double dt, Double p0)
       BrooEngine.dll, IL 0, N 5455112
   Broo.Engine.Flickable2.AnimationLoop(Double frameTimestamp)
       BrooEngine.dll, IL 0, N 5458185
   Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget.GuiMainLoop()
       BrooEngine.dll, IL 195, N 821
   Sooloos.Application.Main(String[] argv)
       Roon.dll, IL 1967, N 5404

Roon on windows also has an occasional memory / CPU problem. The UI was unresponsive & I had to kill the process.

07/04 10:26:33 Trace: [library] endmutation in 250ms
07/04 10:26:33 Info: [stats] 2124159mb Virtual, 6476mb Physical, 5130mb Managed, 2535 Handles, 246 Threads
07/04 10:26:35 Trace: [library] endmutation in 634ms

I’ve been keeping track, and Roon Core on Windows 11 is increasing it’s memory use slowly over time, just under 1 GByte a day.

For comparison, this is what it’s like 2 hours after being started:

Was this bringing the program back from a minimized state? And, are you using Roon or RoonServer?

I’m using roon server on my desktop (because it wasn’t stable on my linux media server - see op).

Roon usually runs maximised, but I would have been switching from either my work vnc running fullscreen or Teams video running maximised to Roon.

In this case I switched because I could see my (passively cooled) PC getting quite hot, and I noticed that roon was using a lot of CPU. Clicking on the UI had no effect, I did manage to move the window so presumably some messages were getting through, but after that nothing so I killed it.

My professional opinion ( ahem … ) is that 7+ GBytes is a lot for a garbage collected user app, and 60% of a 6 core cpu is a bit OTT for an app that shouldn’t be doing very much minute to minute, so I expect this is some kind of bug even if the UI wasn’t completely dead :slight_smile: .

Hi @Simon_Gates ,

Thanks for sharing the crash snippet, I’ll forward this to the team. Can you please access your old Ubuntu Roon logs using these instructions, upload the contents of the folder to the below link and let me know once uploaded? Thanks!

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Also, do you by any chance have over 1,000 of your tracks that are by one artist?

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.