Roon server stopping during playback

Roon Server stops very often. Occurs after 10 seconds to 10 minutes of playing.

Setup:

• Asus RP-AC68C repeater with 5 ethernet ports. Repeater connected with wifi to basements wifi router. (one more wifi router in the second floor of the house)
  • PPA intel I7 based music server/pc win10pro connected to Asus repeater with ethernet cabel. No wifi card in server, no other programs installed beside Roon Server and Roon. Firewall disabled
  • Sotm SMS-200 Ultra connected to musicserver with ethernetcabel (ethernet ports bridged in server)
  • Rmote control of Roon from Huawei tablet M2-A01w or Samsung Galaxy S7 mobile. Remotes connected with Asus repeaters wifi.
  • Latest versions of Roon Server and Roon used.

What happens:
Playing music with Roon Server from internal hdd or Tidal, music stops and after some seconds there is a lost connection message on the remote. Tablet or phone as remote exact same behavior. When looking at Roon Server on PC it says running. Restarting Roon server and it usually comes up again.
The problem is not present if using Roon as core instead of Roon Server.

Hi @Terje_Andervik ----- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The insight is appreciated!

Moving forward, I would like to get a set of your Roon logs over to our technicians so we can have a closer look into this behavior you are experiencing when the mentioned core device is hosting RoonServer. With this in mind, may I very kindly ask you to please perform the following:

• With the mentioned PC acting as your RoonServer please reproduce the issue and note the time when it occurs.

• After the issue has been reproduced and the time has been noted, please use the instructions found here to send us over a set of your “RoonServer” logs.

-Eric

Thank you for your support Eric

Please find my Roon Server log here https://www.dropbox.com/s/t28l9x0gh8y0kdd/%40Terje_Andervik.zip?dl=0
An interruption occured 22:44:20 Norwegian time the seventh of february.

Best Terje

Thanks you for the follow up and providing the requested logs, @Terje_Andervik!

Confirming that the logs have been received and are now attached to your ticket for review by a member of our tech team. Once your ticket has been updated and passed back I will be sure to share the teams thoughts/findings with you asap.

Your patience while the team conducts their evaluation is very appreciated!
-Eric

Hi @Terje_Andervik ----- Thank you again for your patience while the team has been looking into this behavior you’ve reported to us when the mentioned device is hosting RoonServer.

Continuing forward, the team has noted that they are noticing unmanaged crashes in the provided logs which can make it difficult to pinpoint the cause of the issues. In light of this discovery, the team has asked if you would kindly please provide the following:

• What version of Roon are you running, 32 bit or 64 bit? This can be checked on the “about” page in the application.

• From your report you mentioned that RoonServer is stopping often, roughly between “10 seconds to 10 minutes of playing”. The team would like to have a better sense as to how often this occurs. Does it happen EVERY TIME you are using Roon? Does it happen some times? Does it happen after you haven’t been using the application for awhile?

• Additionally the team would like to have some more insight into the the device you have acting as your Roon core (PPA intel I7 based music server/pc win10pro). My understanding of what a PPA is as follows:

Personal Package Archives (PPA) allow you to upload Ubuntu source packages to be built and published as an apt repository by Launchpad.

• Being as you are running Win10 this would not apply to you, so some clarification would be very appreciated!

-Eric

Thank you for following up Eric

• I am using 64 bit Roon Server build 300 7FBB69CF-B12E-4C93-A039-C7E74B006D51.

• Roon Server stops every time I use it. It is random how often and I have not been able to see a pattern. It can run fine for approx 10 min and I start thinking maybe its ok again? Then it crashes and can du so again a few seconds after restart. It is random, but so often that I can not use it anymore. I have therefor installed regular Roon which can play for hours whithout crashing. (this was ment to be a headless machine) Hope this gives a picture of it…

• PC/server : Asus B85M-G motherboard uefi bios version 2501, Pentium I7-4785T, 8 GB ram, one SSD for operating systems, one SSD for music storage, two ethernet ports. One separate board connected to SOTM SMS-200U, one on motherboard connected to Asus repeater. Ethernetports bridged in Windows. Running Windows 10 Pro, version 1709, OS-build 16299.192. If you need more specifications please specify.

Thanks for the feedback @Terje_Andervik! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions!

Continuing forward, during your troubleshooting have you tried testing with the 32bit version of RoonServer? If you have not, may I kindly ask you to download it from our website and let us know how things perform with the 32bit version in place.

-Eric

Apologize for late reply Eric
I have now tested 32 bit Roon Server and this works fine. No stops with 32 bit?

Terje

Hi @Terje_Andervik ----- Thank you for sharing this observation you have made with me! I wanted to touch base and see how things have been holding up with the 32 bit version of RoonServer.

Looking forward to your feedback!
-Eric