Roon Server Unavailable or Slow During Library Update (ref#PSWMMO)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble connecting to Roon

What type of connection issue?

Something else

Since a couple of weeks my Roon server isn't available or very slow. It keeps saying that it is adding music to my library, while that makes no sense as I don't add music to my library. While he is adding, the app is mostly non responsive.

Hi @Robert_Brugman,
Thank you for writing in to let us know about this issue. If possible, can you please share a screenshot of your Settings>Storage?

Are the tracks being added to your library new tracks? Or, are they tracks you’ve already added to your library?

If possible, please share a timestamp (date, time) the next time this issue occurs and we’ll enable diagnostics on your account to dig in deeper

Hello Daniel,

I will attach some screenshots in which you can see the date and time.
10.35 sunday march 24 till 10.41
at 16.12 that day again.
And march 25 at 9.13 is the screenshot where you see the ‘music adding’ process.

I didnt add music on my harddrive for months. I can’t see which tracks are added, but like I said, I didnt add songs lately.

Thanks for helping!
IMG_8515

Hi @Robert_Brugman,
Thanks for getting back to me with that information. The issue here seems to be an unstable network. Could you give us the make and model of your network devices (e.g. media storage devices, network switches, etc.) and how they are connected?

Hello Daniel,

This is not really what I would suspect it would be. I am running Roon in the same way for 2 years now and had no issues. My NUC (which is running the Roon Rock, so nothing else is occupying the processor) is wired connected to the netwerk (I have a Velop mesh network). And when I am not adding new music, why is it Adding music a couple of times a day. Now, 8.27 am (CET), march 27 I again, can’t even change the internet radiostation as the app is totally non responsive.

When Roon loses visibility into a storage location, the media is removed from the library. When the server sees the storage location again it will add it back and rescan the location. This is likely what is causing the slowness. We need to see where things are going wrong in your network chain between your server and your network storage. How is your NAS connected to your network?

To reduce the average load on your core when importing new content you can throttle analysis speed in your settings.

Thank you. I have my files on a Qnap NAS that is connected via cable. I do shut down the NAS every night to save energy. Can that be the problem?

Yes, that explains it. If you keep turning your NAS off this will continue happening.

Unfortunately it isn’t the problem. I canceled the shutting down of the NAS and this morning it was adding songs again…
IMG_1256
IMG_1255

Try rebooting the NUC every day see if that makes a difference

I shutdown at night restart in morning it fixes most things

doesnt help :frowning: Any other options to try?

Hello. Nothing works. Everyday I have a couple of minutes/hours I can’t use Roon because it’s adding music (while nothing new is added). What now?

Please send a screenshot of your backup settings in Roon. We think Roon may be scanning its own backups.