Roon Server will not start on Windows 10

I’ve been running Roon server headless on a dedicated i7 NUC Windows 10 Pro 64 bit PC without too much touble.

I could not connect so logged in via RDP to note that the server was not running.
Tried to start Roon but nothing happened. Tried running as administrator etc all to no avail.

The event logs show:

Faulting application name: RoonServer.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58eff158
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.1198, time stamp: 0x5902808f
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000033c58
Faulting process ID: 0x1e38
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2d91711d34fe0
Faulting application path: C:\Users\roon\AppData\Local\RoonServer\Application\RoonServer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: 9ce668b1-8faf-4870-a5dd-a73122997e81
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

and

Application: RoonServer.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException
   at Sooloos.App.Main(System.String[])

I have also tried re-installing to no effect.

Any ideas apart fro re-installing Windows?

Has Windows disabled the program because it sees it as a problem?

Have you tried a System Restore to a time when you last had it up and running?

Do not know why but most Windows 10 machines have System Restore turned off by default.

Win+Key and the letter R at the same time. Type the following - rstrui

This will launch the System Restore wizard. Hopefully it will be activated and you have a few restore points to backup your PC to an earlier time and see if this will correct your issue.

Also getting ahead of myself - Did you restart your PC and see if this would correct it?

MD

Hi @Chris_Davis ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, both are appreciated!

Moving forward, we have seen some issues in the past while using RDP as it will take control of “everything” (drivers etc) and redirect those process to the remote computer. Can you verify if you see anything different if you use an application like team viewer?

Lastly, I would also like to grab a set of RoonServer logs from you. May I kindly ask you to please follow the instructions found here and dump us a set of logs for review.

-Eric