Roon shows core audio devices in "This PC" section

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Debian 10 Buster/Roon 1.7 Build 667

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Both core and pc connected through Ethernet to an ASUS RT-AC66U B1 router.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Motherboard audio (Realtek® ALC892 Codec)

Description Of Issue

Roon shows the core audio devices under “This PC” section, instead of showing the Realtek devices that belong to the Windows 10 PC I’m trying to listen to music with. I migrated my core recently to a Debian 10 Buster PC, and it was working well before with a core installed in a Macbook Pro. Check the following screenshot:

As you can see, it is showing ALSA devices, which belongs to the Debian 10 machine. This is what I see in my Macbook Pro:

May you help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Try turning off any Firewalls on the PC as a test and see if the devices appear. If they do, then make sure you add the appropriate exceptions for Roon, Roonserver and RAAT/RAATserver.

Hi @Rugby !

Thanks for your help. I have already tried that but no luck. As you can see, my three devices that are currently connected appear in the “About” section:

What worries me is that Roon seems to be confusing the audio devices in my core with the ones in my Windows PC, and because of that I’m not able to enable the audio devices in the Windows 10 machine. It does not seem to be a firewall related problem because I have disabled the firewalls in both the Debian machine (core) and my Windows 10 PC. I think the problem is located in the Windows 10 PC because my Macbook Pro works well.

Any help? Thanks again.

You might try installing the latest Realtek drivers. I have seen Realtek drivers cause many issues over the years, and a such I generally just run the Microsoft HD Drivers. Also, other 3rd party programs that interact with audio, like game overlays can have similar issues.

@Rugby I have tried that too, but doesn’t work either. I have uninstalled the Realtek drivers I had (from my motherboard’s manufacturer, which seem to be upgraded) and I have tried with the Microsoft ones, but the same happens. I have reinstalled the same drivers again.

In any case, it’s weird. Roon shows the audio devices from the core machine where the audio devices of my Windows PC should be shown. Is it a bug maybe? I also use the TIDAL app and it is working correctly with exclusive mode activated, so I don’t know what is the problem.

Thanks again.

If the Nahimic service is running try shutting if off.

@Rugby Is a Windows service? In that case, I can’t find it.

Edit: I have seen that it is a software to improve the sound, but I don’t have it installed.

1 Like

Hi @Alejandro_Castilla_Q,

Can you please try a RAATSever refresh on the Windows PC? You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location (on the Windows PC)
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder
  • Verify if the issue is still ongoing

How exactly did you migrate, can you provide some more details? Did you restore a Mac Roon backup to the Debian or did you copy database files directly?

Hi @noris . Thanks for the help!

I have done what you say and still no luck, but I found something interesting:

I have taken a look to the RAATServer logs in the new folder that Roon has created on the Windows PC and, as you can see in the screenshot, it detects my Realtek device (Auriculares).

What I did to migrate my core is doing a backup of the Macbook Pro core database, and then I restored it on my Debian 10 machine once I installed the Roon core there (I had to copy the files to the Debian machine first). Could that be the problem?

Hmm, do you still have the old core in service. Roon does not like the two same databases active at the same time.

Lifted from the Migration page to highlight

It is important that you “clean up” the machine that was previously running your database. You do not want the same database running on two machines .

@Rugby I don’t have my Macbook always connected to the core. But in any case, where can I find the Roon directory in the Mac machine? I have looked in the /Library folder, but there isn’t any folder called “Roon” or something like that.

As I said, all is working correctly except this Windows 10 machine. I’m not sure but maybe the database in the core machine has some problem and it is not able to detect the audio devices on my Windows machine correctly.

@Rugby Oh I see, I was looking to the root /Library folder instead of the one on my user directory. I have renamed both the “Roon” and the “RAATServer” directories, and I have configured my Mac audio devices. They work ok as before, but still the audio devices from the Windows 10 machine don’t appear.

Hi Alejandro,

I am just another user like you giving you some suggestions to try until Support re-engages. I have other ideas, but, I’d wait before suggesting them to see what Support has to say.

Daniel

@Rugby Yes, I know! Thank you very much. Let’s see if @noris can help me with this.

I just wanted to let you know that we’re chatting with our QA team about this soon and we’ll be sure to follow up as soon as we have their feedback.

Ok @dylan , thank you!

Hi @dylan , any news about this? Thanks in advance.

Apologies for the delay here! I see that your case is still pending some additional feedback from the team, I have just requested a status update and as soon as we have the additional feedback we’ll reach out. Thank you again for your patience here!

Hi @noris , thank you! Don’t worry, I understand this will take some time. I just wanted to know how it’s going.

1 Like