Roon skip through tracks on playback - Restarting RoonBridge fixes the issue

I often have to restart the RoonSpeakers application running on my Mac mini that’s used as an end point and connection to my USB DAC (Teac UD-501) as it just seems to stop playing tracks, Roon just tries, then skips to the next one over and over. Quitting and relaunching RoonSpeakers usually fixes this first time, but having to remote into the Mac mini, quit Plex to get back to the desktop GUI so I can quit and restart RoonSpeakers is a bit of a pain.
Would it be possible to have a ‘restart’ option built into Roon remote that could do this, sort of like the stop/start feature built into Roon extensions?

If you need frequent restarts you probably have something more fundamental that needs fixing. Would it be better to get to the bottom of your issues rather than apply the sticking plaster of a restart button?

Hi @Astr0b0y ------ Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, both are appreciated!

I agree with @Henry_McLeod, as this behavior sounds like the result of a more “fundamental” issue, indeed. In order to properly address this behavior may I very kindly ask you to pleae provide me with the following information:

• Please provide an expanded description of your current setup, using this link as a guide.

• Please also describe your network configuration/topology, as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you are currently implementing. I want to have a clear understanding of what the “chain of communication” looks like and all the devices involved.

• When you mention that the MacMini is running “RoonSpeakers” my assumption is that you have “RoonBridge” loaded on this device. Please confirm.

-Eric

Good point from you both.

RoonCore 1.3 build 259
iMac 2011, 32GB RAM, i7, macOS 10.12.6
Music is stored on iMac’s 3TB Fusion drive. iMac is set to never sleep.

RoonBridge 1.0 build 112
Mac mini 2011, 16GB, i5, macOS 10.12.6
Plex server and client is also running on the Mac mini.

connected via USB to

TEAC UD-501
Device is set up in exclusive mode, fixed volume and DSP is on with headroom management and SRC takes everything to DSD128.

RoonRemotes are running on various iOS devices, all latest app store release, and a remote running on the iMac.

Network topology is not ideal.
Router is Asus RT-AC88U with single /24 subnet. iMac and Mac mini are assigned IPs using DHCP and address reservation.

IMAC ----wireless AC----RT-AC88U-----ethernet-----MAC MINI----TEAC UD-501

I know it would be preferable to have the server connected via ethernet but that is not possible at the moment. Wireless connection is very good, syncing at 450Mbps and can easily transfer 35MB/sec between devices.

Issue
At times when I start playback, no sound is heard. The Signal Path activates and displays the usual expected info. Playback progress bar does not move however and after a few seconds Roon skips to the next track and repeats the same behaviour. This happens using any of the Roon Remotes and with both local files, Tidal playback or internet radio streams.
Restarting RoonBridge fixes the problem.

Ive just cleared all my logs and next time this happens I’ll grab them and add them here.

Just had a sudden stop in playback while listening to an internet radio stream and could not got anything to play afterwards, local or streaming. Had to restart RoonServer to get playback happening again which is unusual.

Logs are here

Hi @Astr0b0y ----- Thank you for touching base and providing the requested feedback, as well as logs. Very appreciated!

Confirming that the logs have been downloaded and are in our queue to be evaluated by a member of our tech staff. Once my report is updated and passed back, I will be sure to share the team’s thoughts/findings with you in a timely manor.

-Eric

Thanks @Eric
I think I have figured out what caused the issue yesterday, it was the Logitech Harmony Remote extension. Once it was disabled playback went back to normal. I’ll take that issue to the extension developer.

The issue I originally posted about has just occurred this morning as I went to play an album for the first time since yesterday. Click Play and first track appears to get ready for playing, but progress bar does not move forward and Roon skips to the next track after around 10 seconds, repeat until the queue is exhausted.

I have grabbed to logs again and uploaded here. I added RoonBridge logs too.

Restarting RoonBridge on the target PC got things working again immediately.

1 Like

Thanks for the follow up and update, @Astr0b0y. Very appreciated!

Confirming that your logs have been received and are in our queue to be evaluated by a member of our tech staff. Once my report has been updated and passed back, I will be sure to share the team’s thoughts/findings with you asap.

-Eric

Hi @Astr0b0y ---- Thank you for your patience while our techs have been reviewing the traces found in your logs.

Moving forward, based on the team’s evaluation, we have noticed some network related issues (in the logs), when trying to upsample content via DSP engine in Roon. In light of this, the team has suggested trying the following to see if we can trigger a change in behavior here. Please see below.

1. If possible, test with the iMac hard patched directly to your router, thus removing WiFi from the equation.

2. Try testing without the use of upsampling and see how RoonBridge behaves.

Looking forward to your feedback!
-Eric

1 Like

I have just started having this issue as well. Will do some more testing tomorrow.

I wasn’t able to test both of Eric’s suggested solutions; I don’t have the ability to patch my server via Ethernet so it has to stay with a wireless connection. I was able to test with no DSP upsampling in place however the same issue occurs.
I did find that I could fix it almost always by toggling DSP on/off and that would get things going again.

1 Like

@Eric I have this same problem. Is there a place I can send appropriate logs?

Hi @fritzg ----- Thank you for chiming in and sharing your feedback with me. The insight is very appreciated and my apologies for the wait.

Moving forward, may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with the following information:

• An accurate description of the issue being experienced.

• Please briefly outline the details of your setup using this link as a guide.

• Do you make the same observation as @Astr0b0y in regard to toggling the DSP “on/off”?

@Astr0b0y - Does the mentioned work around in your post always restore functionality?

-Eric

A post was split to a new topic: Tracks being skipped through during playback (ROCK)

Yep, toggling DSP on/off or even changing from DSD upsampling to PCM upsampling seems to get things going again.

Thanks for the follow up @Astr0b0y and verifying that information for me, very appreciated!

Moving forward, I would like to propose a small test to see if we can trigger a change in behavior here with the mentioned MacMini hosting Roon Bridge. With this in mind may I very kindly ask you to please perform the following:

• Please close all active instances of the Roon application. This includes stopping RoonBridge from running on the MacMini.

• Once Roon Bridge has been “stopped” on the MacMini…

• Open Finder and click “Go” in the top bar.
    • Hold down the “Alt” key to unhide the “Library” folder.
    • Once you’ve accessed your “Library” folder please find your “RoonBridge” and “RAATServer” folders and re-name them…

“RoonBridge” (folder) - > RoonBridge_Old
    “RAATServer” (folder) - > RAATServer_Old

• Re-launch RoonBridge on the MacMini and verify if you still experience the same behavior.

-Eric

Thanks @Eric. I have followed the above and will let you know how I go.

Many thanks @Astr0b0y! Looking forward to your feedback!

-Eric