Roon skips all stereo tracks

I recently updated Roon and am now unable to play stereo tracks from a Roon Bridge PC that will play multichannel FLAC files. It just skips straight through the entire album, and occurs with both local media and Tidal tracks. This was never an issue before the 363 update. The PC is connected to a Denon x4400 and is configured for 7.1 output. Please advise on a resolution and reimbursement for the service disruption.

@support

Hi @Mike_Bierle,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Please also verify the following:

• If you play to other endpoints does this same behavior occur?
  • Can you share a screenshot of Device Setup for this device?
  • Since noticing this behavior have you tried rebooting your Core machine and RoonBridge device?

Hi Dylan,

I was able to play stereo (local and Tidal) through an Oppo 203 and via Airplay to the Denon without issue. I rebooted the core and bridge devices without change in behavior. I was using the system output on the PC and switched to WASAPI output, and was able to get both stereo and multichannel files to play.

I’m running Roon Core on an iMac with an i5 processor, 12 GB RAM and a 256 GB solid state boot drive. The media is stored on a 4 TB external hard drive connected via USB. All files are FLAC, stereo or 5.1. It is a mix of 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88 kHz and 96 kHz content. The network is hardwired, CAT 6 between all devices via a centrally located gigabit ethernet switch.

The PC is an Asus netbook running 32 bit Windows 10 with very basic specs (32 GB eMMC storage, 4 GB RAM) but the only thing it’s running is Roon Bridge. It was configured to 7.1 output on the PC and in Roon and Exclusive Mode was enabled. It was set to downmix as needed. The screenshots show the WASAPI output but it was configured identically to how I had the system output set up in Roon.

Hi @Mike_Bierle,

Thank you for the information! I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

I was able to reproduce the behavior at approximately 4:25 pm Central time today. I was able to play stereo with the laptop’s system output when it was set to stereo on the laptop’s soundcard, but could not play multichannel. I was able to play multichannel with the laptop’s soundcard set to 7.1, but not stereo. WASAPI was able to play both stereo and multichannel without issue (I confirmed that the correct, native signal was being received by my AVR).

Hi @Mike_Bierle,

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Hello @Mike_Bierle,

Apologies about the delay in getting back to you here. I have taken a look at the diagnostics received, can I please ask you to enable 7.1 output on the Denon Zone and then enable to “send stereo/mono as 7.1” toggle? These settings should look like this in device setup:

Please let me know if that resolves this issue.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Sorry for the delay; the holidays got busy. The change you suggested does allow me to play stereo and multichannel audio via the system output. However, it doesn’t let me apply an up mixer in my receiver. Since the WASAPI output is working well, I’ll stick with that for my setup.