Roon slowdown issues

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon nucleus

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices

with a chord dave dac and headphones…

Description of Issue

I am up to date on all updates etc…I am using my own external hard drive and quboz

when I am using roon it plays fine but every few days it will slow down so that while the music is still playing I cannot access info or find music and going from track to track can take 30 seconds or more…if I try to access the alphabetical list it will not show any listings…this will go on for a while sometimes a short time other times a longer time and eventually it will start to work properly again on its own…I have restarted both the roon software and the nucleus and this will fix the problem temporarily but it returns in a few days…the confusing thing is the music continues to play will the slowldown occurs

help would be appreciated

Hi @jon_brachfeld,

What is the amount of tracks and albums in your library?
You can find this under Roon Settings -> Overview.

Does the issue only happen on one Roon Remote/Controller or multiple controllers?

51,000 tracks and 3800 albums…I am only using one computer on my network to control the nucleus…again, it will work fine for several days then all of a sudden while I am listening freeze up so that I cant change songs or search artists etc and the albums and songs disaapear for a short time and then all of a sudden it starts to slowly work again …at first slow and then ultimately back to normal

Hi @jon_brachfeld,

Can you please try re-installing the Roon controller on your PC?

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location (on the PC database under %localappdata% or ~Library)
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder

tried that, reinstalled the app on my Mac and I do not see any improvement…will work perfectly fine and then all of a sudden it is as if it is reading all the albums on the external hard drive again and nothing shows up or works until it reads all the albums and fills in and then it works fine until the next time it does it

Hi @jon_brachfeld,

Can you please note the exact local time + date this issue occurs and let me know here?
I can try to enable diagnostics mode for your account after and check to see if logs contain any clues.

basically here it is…I changed the cable on my router to nucleus…I restarted etc and for a couple of days it works extremely well…fast and with no issues until out of the blue it just stops playing and says searching for core and gives me the option to check for another core…if I take the chord out from the router and then put it back in it will fix the problem and work fine for a few days until it does it again…each time it happens I check the status of my router to make sure it is working properly and each time the router function is perfect so that is not the issue…it is a shame because when it works it is terrific but the constant interruptions have become a real hassle

Hi @jon_brachfeld,

What kind of router are you using? Can you please let me know the exact model/manufacturer?
Are you using the latest firmware on the router?

I am using an asus ac3100…I went a few days and all was working fine and then this morning I went to open roon and I got the cant find the core message again so I restarted the computer and then roon opened properly…I am not sure what causes this to happen but it is very annoying to say the least

Hi @jon_brachfeld,

It sounds like you could be having a multicast issue, have you by any chance explicitly enabled multicast in your router configuration yet? As per our Networking Best Practices Guide:

ASUS Routers

We recommend enabling “Enable Multicast Routing” option in settings.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.