Roon Startup Issue

Hi Noris

Yeah…tried that a few days ago with the same result…hanging jellyfish followed by a Windows freeze. Roon Server works fine with the same database though…

DDJ

Hi @Paul_Moran,

Can you send me a copy of the RoonServer logs as well? They should be located in a similar folder, you can access them by going to %localappdata%/RoonServer/Logs.

Hi @Paul_Moran,

Doesn’t look like there was much information in RoonServer either. Please grab Windows Event Viewer logs next time this occurs:

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save
  8. Upload the Event Viewer logs and send us a message

Hi Noris

I’ve cleared the logs several times after looking at them and couldn’t spot anything. I’ll halt the server and start the GUI tonight and will ping you the event logs tomorrow morning…

Thanks again

Paul

1 Like

Hi Noris

Halted the server on the PC last night then logged into the Roon GUI on the PC. Came down this morning and it’s up and running now so not sure what particular combination of restores/reinstalls worked but seems OK now. Do you still want my Event Logs to have a look? Thanks again everyone for all your help…

Regards

DDJ

Hi Noris…same problem back I’m afraid. I’ve sent you the latest logs and Appication Events from Event Viewer.

Thanks for any further assistance

DDJ

1 Like

Hi @Paul_Moran,

Thanks for sending the Event Viewer log over. I didn’t see much information listed in it but I did notice one .NET error. It may not be related, but I would suggest updating your .NET framework just as a precaution:

Can you give that a try and let me know if it changes anything?

Thanks Noris…tried the installer but it halted as I already have dotNet 4.8 or later installed…Would RAATServer have any influence on my problem?

DDJ

In the interim, I’ve reinstalled the headless server and will do a database restore to gain access to my music for now…

Hi @Paul_Moran,

Thanks for checking the .NET version. I would check your graphics card drivers next, have you confirmed you’re on the newest driver versions?

Hi Noris

Aye, all the drivers are up to date. Was able to stream no problem from RoonServer last night, came down this morning and the PC was sluggish again, 15GB of 16GB available physical memory being used, 4GB of which was by RoonApplication.exe…still think it’s a Roon-linked memory leakage/retention problem somewhere but even with the 4GB RoonApplication.exe usage, the other processes listed (using Process Hacker) do not add up to anything close to the other 11GB supposedly in use…I have an up-to-date Virus checked BTW! (Comodo Internet Security). Really at a loss…running the PC now for the next few hours without RoonServer running to monitor any high memory usage…

DDJ

Hi @Paul_Moran,

It sounds like something else on your PC is eating up the RAM, I would look through your task manager, perhaps you have a background intensive process such as a backup running?

This is a good idea, do let me know how it goes.

Hi Noris

I’ve been running RoonServer successfully since my last message. Although seemingly not a Roon issue, this may help other users. After a bit of googling about Windows 10 eating up memory and resources, especially with so many svchost.exe processes running, I came across a suggestion to stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service. I did this 4 days ago and RoonServer has been running successfully since. Still too scared to try the RoonGui again though!

Regards

Paul

1 Like

Just be aware to keep checking it, as it can start itself up again. BITS is a core Windows Service used to deliver updates among other things. The moment you reboot, I think you might find it re-enabled.

Cheers Daniel…I’ve set it to disabled for now…

Regards

Paul

Hi @Paul_Moran,

Thanks for the update regarding the Background Intelligent Transfer Service. It would be interesting to know if this process also impacted the RoonGUI as well, so when it’s time to switch back, do let me know how that goes.

Hi Noris

I’ve been running the RoonGUI successfully now for over a week so unless there’s been some subtle changes in my database or hidden Windows Updates, the disabling of the BITS service seems to have cured the problem.

Thanks again for all the help and feedback

Paul

1 Like

Hi @Paul_Moran,

You’re very welcome and glad to hear that disabling BITS has resolved this issue on your end!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.