Roon stopped playing, Play button is greyed out, ALSA output shows up in settings [Resolved]

Hello,
I just realized that Roon stopped outputting audio (Play button is disabled) on my QNAP TS-251+ connected through HDMI to an Onkyo preamp today. The setup consists of Roon 1.3 (build 259) running on QNAP Linux 4.2.8 utilizing QNAP TS-251+ builtin HDMI output going to Onkyo PR-RZ5100. The play queue shows whatever tracks I put in, but I get no sound, just a brief tooltip saying “playing 10 tracks” and the play button is disabled. Are there any troubleshooting steps I can perform? Rebooting the NAS didn’t change anything. It plays just fine to AirPlay devices I have set up as other zones.

Hi @Alexander_Baiko ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your observations with us.

Moving forward, during your troubleshooting of this behavior have you tried…

• A different HDMI port on the PR-RZ5100.

• Testing with a different HDMI cable.

• Power cycling the PR-RZ5100.

• (If possible) Testing with another endpoint via HDMI from the QNAP.

May I kindly also ask you to please provide me with screenshots of the playback settings you are using in Roon for the PR-RZ5100. This information can be obtained by going into settings, audio, then clicking the gear next to the Onkyo zone, and selecting “device setup”. Furthermore, since noticing this behavior have there been any changes made to your setup?

-Eric

It turns out that build 259 doesn’t play nice with the Logitech Harmony extension. Everything got back to normal once the extension was removed. Thank you for looking into this.

1 Like

Hi @Alexander_Baiko ---- Thank you for the follow up and the insight, both are appreciated! Glad to hear things are now functioning as expected.

-Eric