Roon stopping randomly

Hi @fschmeis ,

Thanks for giving the RAATServer reset a try and sorry to hear it hasn’t helped.

I spoke to the team regarding your case recently and they don’t believe that this issue is due to an audio zone, but rather there may be some system-level issues.

Have you tried to create a backup, reinstall RoonServer and restore a backup yet? This is worth a try in case there are issues with the RoonServer package.

Hello @noris ,

thanks for coming back to me so fast!

what I had done (may be 1 week before rebuilding the zone): clicked on the box left down “Replace the current Roon Server application with the latest one from RoonLabs website”:
grafik

Do you mean that?

Or should I really deinstall the entire app from my QNAP?

Cheers
Frank

Hello @noris ,

what I have done during weekend, starting 6th of November appr. 5 pm:

• deleted Roon in the AppCenter
  • deleted all Roon files on my NAS resp. deleted the entire directory “RoonOnNAS” with the file station
  • restartet my QNAP
  • started Roon server and entered DB location
  • started Roon remote and entered the my Qobuz account; could play music from Qobuz
  • restored tha last backup of my Roon DB which took 1.5 hours
  • linked my music library to the server; Roon startet analysing / adding files; one time around 6:35 pm I tried to start to play some music from my remote but caused a crash; downloaded logfiles, please refer to “download_2021-11-06_18-35-51.zip”; from then on never tried playing music again during adding the library
  • nevertheless: from time to time the remote lost the Roon server, there were some more crashes of the server, please refer to “download_2021-11-07_11-21-35.zip”
  • Roon was analysing during night and was finished in the morning

So far Roon seems to work again, feels good / a little bit “snappier” and more reliable than before; nevertheless: please have a look at the logs

Thx in advance

Cheers
Frank

Hello @noris ,

did you had the opportunity to have a look at the logfiles after re-installing Roon?

In addition to that right now (11 am local time) I had one more crash; just 36.588 tracks currently activated (had deactivated the other folder), started Roon remote fresh on my iPAD (did nothing else, just starting) and immediately CRASHED, takes something like 5 min to come back again, CPU of the QNAP working hard:

logfile download_2021-11-16_11-09-34.zip in the dropbox (see link above)

PLEASE HELP

hello @support: maybe noris is in vacation, waiting for 2 weeks for an answer, thx in advance for your help

Hi @fschmeis ,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here, I just got a chance to review your case once more.

Looking over the logs, it is not clear why RoonServer stops working, and there is no real pattern to this behavior, logs appear to just abruptly end, let me give you some examples:

System log of crashes:

16.11.21-00:06:09  --- Running
16.11.21-00:26:02  --- Not responding
16.11.21-00:26:02  --- Error
16.11.21-00:26:04  --- Initializing
16.11.21-00:26:04  --- Started
16.11.21-00:26:07  --- Running
16.11.21-00:30:03  --- Error
16.11.21-00:30:05  --- Initializing
16.11.21-00:30:05  --- Started
16.11.21-00:30:08  --- Running
16.11.21-11:05:07  --- Error
16.11.21-11:05:09  --- Initializing
16.11.21-11:05:09  --- Started

16.11.21-00:26:02 — Error - Roon was updating metadata
16.11.21-00:30:03 — Error - Roon was trying to load storage locations
16.11.21-11:05:07 — Error - Roon was trying to perform a search

With no clear pattern as to what causes the crash, in similar cases like this, the issue has been caused by a database or a hardware issue with the Core.

Looking over the log, it appears that Roon is attempting to load 410448 tracks. Even if you do only have 35k tracks activated, the Roon database has 410k tracks in the database that it has information stored about. You can try to perform a clean up library function via Roon Settings → Library and that will remove any database entries for disabled storage locations (you’ll need to restore from a backup to get those changes back).

A Roon database restore should not take 1.5 hours to complete. This can be a further sign that the current hardware is not up to par for a database of this size.

1 Like

On a nas I’m not surprised

Hello @wizardofoz ,

why do you say that?

Because my NAS isn’t powerful enough, or because the Roon implementation on a NAS isn’t stable enough?

With a i5-4590S CPU with 4 cores and up to 3 MHz, 16 GByte of RAM and the Roon DB located on a fast Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256 GByte there should be enough resources, or where do you see the bottleneck?

Hello @noris ,

do you think the reason for my problems are the same as for Export hangs with spinning circle but no error message - #2 by fschmeis?

just checked the all logfiles on my QNAP again, there is nothing which indicates any failure, also I am using the NAS as a file server, so far no problems anywhere else … did an entire memtest (http://memtest.org/), no errors after appr. 1.5 hours (has already started to do a 2nd run) … did run a HDD stress test (on QTS: Help Desk → Dignostic Tool → HDD stress test) for more than 72 hours, did stop it right now as there didn’t occur even one single error so far:
grafik

With a i5-4590S CPU with 4 cores and up to 3 MHz, 16 GByte of RAM and the Roon DB located on a fast Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256 GByte and don’t doing any DSP (this is done by my Linn system), there should be enough resources, don’t you think so? What would be an apprporiate time frame to restore a Roon DB from Backup consisting of 110.000 files?

When starting to play a song and a crash happens, the CPU is low, disk i/o is low, memory usage is low, also moving from mono to .NET and re-installing Roon improved things significantly, but not completely, and actually I have a DB with just 35.000 tracks, have cleaned the DB entireliy (refer to Export hangs with spinning circle but no error message) and are still faced with crashes, e.g. Saturday 20th, 08:35 pm, please refer to “download_2021-11-21_15-07-01.zip” in the dropbox => therefore I am pretty sure the reason is different from the available resources …

What do you recommend? Please respond freely and open, I am willing to do whatever is needed: re-analyse the entire library or acitvate any kind of debug mode or do a remote session with a 2nd level technician from Roon or upgrade my CPU to a i7 or …

PLEASE HELP!

Ok that spec nas is not your typical consumer spec so probably ok for roon core BUT will depend how much else perhaps that it’s running…which you don’t detail.

just file server for 2 persons for privated duties, nightly backup - nothing else, that’s it

Something like a faulty RAM module perhaps?

https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Memory_Test

thank you very much for the hint!

Memory Test - QNAPedia is currently not available “for some reason”, will test that as soon as the site is back …

No issue here on my side to follow the link.

funny: it doesn’t work in my home network (via ethernet and via WLAN, probable a DNS-server-issue), but it works on my mobile … entered the link manually, followed the instructions and run a memtest, no errors :smiley:

I would monitor the RAM history through Roon. I noticed once that the sound stopped exactly when Roon optimized my memory usage from around 36 GB to 24 GB. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture of that.

Here a similar behavior happened already in the startup phase and was captured by screenshot.

Perhaps an approach to the cause research?

The system did not die, but it took longer at startup and in the other case I had an interruption in the sound.

However, the optimization of the memory requirements probably takes time and usually sets in later and not right after startup.

thx Uwe for that idea; when did that happen? still with the Mono-based implementation or already after the migration to .NET?

With .Net I observed it once and verified it a second time

ok, thx … seems there is still some refactoring work to be done by Roon … sounds like some “garbage collection issue” … difficult for Roon to solve as this will be probably handled outside Roon …

Hello @noris ,

after re-installing Roon things improved significantly, thx for this hint

nevertheless - as pointed out 2 weeks ago, please refer to Roon stopping randomly - #108 by fschmeis and Export hangs with spinning circle but no error message - I still have crashes, even with a media library shrinked by 90% (appr. 35.000 tracks instead of 350.000), last crash last evening 10:40 pm, please refer to “download_2021-12-02_22-42-09.zip”

I cannot enjoy my library for two weeks now as my favorite songs are deactivated :frowning_face: I spent many hours to scan logfiles, run disk tests, run mentests - no errors, everything fine with my QNAP to my opinion

how to preceed?

PLEASE HELP