Roon stopping without warning - Nothing Playing

Ben,

Any reply to my post of yesterday - see below?

"Hi Ben,

Thx for getting back to me. I read the link you sent me and it may be worth trying since issue no. 2 where the Roon app on the Mac ‘hangs’ seems to be because it won’t communicate with the Core. I noticed that if I used Roon remote on my iPhone or iPad that I could control Roon even when it was ‘hung’ on the Mac; indeed while the Mac app ‘hung’ and showed the track timing was static I could see with the iPad or iPhone that the music was still playing. It may not help with issue no. 1 though that mostly affected play with Mac System Output or Chord Mojo connected by usb to the Mac. Today I ran a long playlist without problems on my Naim ND5XS2 using Roon Remote on iPad and it did not stop or lose connection.

So while I am willing to try RoonServer, I am not sure I fully understand exactly what to do - could you provide me with an idiot step-by step set of instructions? I especially don’t quite understand the warning about a fresh install since I just did that as you requested. I understand the bit about renaming the Roon folder to Roon Server, but then do I have to install Roon after that? Two other queries:

1. can I restore my Roon database before or after I did a migration?
2. if I migrate to Roon Server (following your detailed instructions as requested above) will Roon Arc continue to operate as before or will I need to do something else?

It is almost 10pm here in the UK, so look for your replay tomorrow morning.

Many thanks for your help. Cheers, Ian"

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers, Ian

Hey @Timberwolf,

Here is a breakdown on migrating to Roon Server:

1. Create a fresh back up of your current database if you don’t have a recent backup saved. Roon Settings>Backups>Backup Now
  2. Rename your Roon folder to RoonServer
  3. Download RoonServer for macOS and copy it to your Applications folder
  4. Launch Roon Server

After that, you can control Roon from one of your other remotes. You can read more about that here:

From there, you can then restore your database from Roon Settings>Backups>Browse

Let me know if this helps! :pray:

Ben,

I followed the steps above and my system is totally screwed. Neither of my iPad or iPhone can keep a connection to the Core for more than few seconds. They keep losing and reconnecting. Using Finder on my Mac I can see the RoonServer folder (I renamed from Roon) but there is also a Roon folder which has been created and accessed later than the RoonServer folder. Both these folders have a Database subfolder. In addition, however, it seems that the Roon icon in my dock on the Mac still works as it did before to control Roon and I can access and use Roon normally from there. It looks to me that maybe Roon server is not properly installed and Roon has re-installed itself on my Mac. At the moment nothing is working properly. How can I fix it?

Cheers, Ian

Hey @Timberwolf,

There isn’t typically an issue with having both Roon Server and the Roon all-in-one on the same device.

Is this with Roon Server running?

Can you confirm that you are only running Roon Server on your core machine, and that the all-in-one (Roon icon in your dock) is not active?

If you were able to connect your remotes to Roon Server and were still having issues, we can revert back to the all-in-one version previously installed on your core device.

Thanks for your continued patience here!

Hi Ben,

I’ve made some progress since I posted. I deleted all the Roon and RoonServer folders and Roon and Roon server apps from my Mac. Then I installed Roon Server as instructed and it is running. I then reinstalled Roon Remote app on both iPad and iPhone and after a lot of hassle managed to get both connected to the Core. I then restored my database from backup which was also a hassle because Roon wouldn’t let me add the network share to my NAS where the backups are stored until I replaced the name of the NAS by it’s ip address - it took me ages to work it all out. When I restored from backup again Roon Remote on both iPad and iPhone lost connection since the backup seems to store the name of the original Core and using Roon Server changed the Core’s name. After a couple of attempts both connected to the new Core. As of now I have a playlist running on one endpoint and I’ll check everything out tomorrow afternoon when I have time. I will let you know the status then. For now I am only using iPad and iPhone to control Roon Server. However, assuming we once we have the issues resolved, I do prefer to do any major editing or tagging or playlist configuring using my Mac so what will I need to do at that point to install a Roon control on the Mac using Roon Server without ending up with the all-in-one version?

Talk to you again tomorrow.

Cheers, Ian

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Roon stopping Grey button

Hey @Timberwolf,

Thanks again for the status update, and excellent work troubleshooting your way through so far! I’m glad to hear you’ve at least got some music back in your ears.

Yes definitely keep me posted on how things run while on Roon Server.

Absolutely - it will be good to know if Roon Server functions as expected, but we will certainly continue to pin down what might be happening when using the All in one version of Roon on your core device.

I’ll monitor this thread for your reply. :+1:

Hi Ben,

An update. Good News. I’ve run a couple of zones with long playlists (Naim ND5 XS2 and Mac System Output) for several hours now - no problems. I am running Roon Server on the Mac Studio with Roon Remote control points on iPad and iPhone. I have also managed to install Roon in remote mode on my Mac (fresh install of Roon using existing Roon Server Core) and this has functioned ok so far allowing me to use focus, tags, and edit metadata and export metadata to Excel etc. In short it is working well so far. My database restore from NAS is also fine. So I will likely stick with the Roon Server approach for now rather than all-in-one on the Mac. I’ve also tested Roon Arc with this setup and it seems fine too.

I will let you know if I have any of the old issues over the next few days with the new setup (hope not!), otherwise I will stick with my new setup. Fingers crossed. But do let me know if your investigations of the diagnostic reports you pulled bear any fruit.

Cheers, Ian

1 Like

Hi Ben,

Moving to Roon Server seems to have removed the unexpected stopping of music and Nothing Playing issues. However the Roon control app on the Mac still ‘hangs’ if I try to use it after a long period of inactivity and I have to force quit it on the Mac. Roon Remote on iPad and iPhone are ok. I guess I can get round this by closing Roon (leaving Roon Server running) when I’m not using it frequently and open it again when I need it, but it is a bit aggravating.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Ian

Thanks for the update, @Timberwolf!

We may have a fix for this issue in the current early access build. If you aren’t familiar with early access, you can learn a bit more about it here:

and

There is some migration involved when moving from Production to Early Access, and so if you’d rather not do this and wait for the next Production release (which will have all of the current updates in Early Access) you can certainly do that as well. :+1:

Let me know your thoughts, and if you’d like any additional help testing our Early Acess!

Ben

Thx for this. I will wait to see if the next Production release solves the ‘hang’ issue on Mac - my beta testing days are over!

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers, Ian

1 Like

Hi Ben,

Really bad news, the original Nothing Playing bug has recurred with the new setup using Roon Server. At around 1710 today the track I was listening to suddenly stopped and “Nothing Playing” was showing on my iPad. There was nothing in the track queue. After about a minute Roon came back and I could start the track from where it originally stopped. So back to square one after 27 days. Any progress on identifying this fault? Check the logs around 1710 today.

Cheers, Ian

Hey @Timberwolf,

I’m sorry to hear this.

Based on the timestamp you’ve provided, we’re seeing back-to-back web exception failures due to the network not being reachable. There are roughly 84 traces around network disconnections just from 06/26.

What do you currently have set as your primary DNS? I would consider updating to Google (8.8.8.8) / Cloudflare (1.1.1.1), and see if that helps, considering this most recent issue seems to be network related.

Let me know, thanks!

Hi Ben,

Thx for getting back to me so quickly. I’ve no idea what a DNS is. My computer (Mac Studio) is connected by ethernet to a BT mesh disc. My router is a BT Smart Hub 2. Looking at the network on Mac System Settings it says the DNS is at:

192.168.1.254, fe80::1a82:8cff:fe11:966d

I don’t think you are recommended to change a BT router DNS settings but I am no expert. Any advice is welcome. Should I try connecting the Mac via wifi instead of ethernet to the BT mesh disc?

Cheers, Ian

Hey @Timberwolf,

Ah! My apologies there.

It does involve changing settings from your router! Here is more info on DNS:

It certainly doesn’t hurt to test out running Wifi - although generally speaking it typically causes more issues than solutions.

Hi Ben,

An update. The network disconnections I was experiencing have been fixed by my ISP - some server issue outside my home which affected other music streaming services such as Innuos and Naim also (though not Qobuz or Apple Music). So I have had good listening sessions with both Roon and Innuos Sense being pretty stable today.

The ‘Nothing Playing’ issue still remains and occurred around 2202 this evening - music stopped while playing to my Mojo and headphones, 'Nothing Playing" appears and hitting PLAY arrow does nothing. The Mojo zone icon is still showing. I wait about a minute and the track reappears at the point it stopped and I can hit PLAY again and all is well. So still this one issue to resolve. I suspect it must have occurred earlier today also when I had a long playlist running as a test to my ND5XS2 with the sound muted and play stopped after a couple of hours into the playlist. Again when I opened the Roon Remote app I could see that the playlist had stopped and I could restart from that point.

All in all a much happier experience today, so let me know if / when the fix for the 'Nothing Playing" issue is in place. If you want to check the log around 2202 today or when I was running the long playlist earlier you may see what was happening.

Cheers, Ian

Hey @Timberwolf,

I’d be happy to take a look. If you could please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader?

Thanks!

Hi Ben,

I’ve uploaded the RoonServer logs as ‘Timberwolf_RoonServer_Logs.zip’ as requested. Roon has been stable today with long playlists directed to the ND5XS2 finishing without a hitch. Control by Roon remote on iPad has been good. The Roon Remote on Mac has ‘hung’ a couple of times but did not result in the music stream stopping. Quitting Roon Remote on Mac and reopening it got it back on sync with the playlist being played. The only thing I have done to get to this decent performance was to disable Roon ARC by setting the listening port to 0. Could Roon ARC port forwarding have been causing my issues. I have not had the ‘Nothing Playing’ disconnection today. Let me know if you discern anything in the logs.

After my ISP had fixed the network issues I was having I mentioned to them that Roon, Innuos and Naim apps all have occasional issues with their respective iOS control apps losing connection, so I have a tech coming on Tuesday to check my network settings and specifically wifi connectivity of iPad and iPhone. Any pointers you can find with the logs would help me in engaging with the tech guy. Having said all this, Roon, Innuos and Naim apps have all been functioning properly today,

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ben,

Roon has stopped playback of a playlist again several times tonight, e.g. at around 2132 - network connection status change in the logs. What can we do to get this resolved? Seems to be two main issues:

1. music stops unexpectedly
  2. Roon Remote on Mac loses sync with Roonserver or hangs. This is very frustrating. HELP!

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ben,

Can you respond to my last post indicating that the two issues remain unsolved? Did the logs I sent point to the issues? I’ve had my broadband network and router thoroughly checked and it has a clean bill of health from my ISP. I’m just about ready to give up on Roon, shame I’m a lifer. I really need some help here.

Cheers, Ian