Roon stops playing after about 10 to 20 seconds

I am using Roon Version 1.3 (build 234) stable (64 bit)
Operating system is Windows 10
Dell Precision Tower 3620
Music is stored on a Synology NAS and networked through a Cat 5 cable through a Netgear router.
My music collection is approximately 18,000 CD’s

I have two primary systems. One is connected by way of Cat 5 cable through a PS Audio Directstream DAC with Media Bridge. Works fine, no problems.

The second system is connected UBS-Optic cable through a Schiit Yggorasil DAC. Has worked fine, for over a year, up until a few days ago.

This has developed an issue:

When I try to play a tract, it plays for about 10 to 20 seconds and just stops.

When I look at Roon on the computer, it shows it as playing (The song has the three little bars going up and down and the pause symbol is shown, not the play triangle), but the audio bar under the title of the song stops moving and freezes at a particular spot in the song. After a could of minuted, the three bars stop and the play triangle is shown again.

The display will then flash in orange “Transport: Roon lost control of the audio device”

I have rebooted the computer, rebooted Roon, rebooted the NAS, rebooted the Yggy and I have checked and reconnected the cable. Seems ok. The problem persists.

I am not a computer guy and would appreciate any help. Thank you.

I would check and see if there have been any Windows 10 updates in the time frame that the issues began. Recently, Windows added its own USB drivers. Might be related.

1 Like

Hi @Robelinks ---- Thank you for the post and sharing your feedback with us, both are appreciated.

Moving forward, to help aide in my evaluation of this behavior you’re experiencing may I very kindly ask you to please provide the following:

1. My assumption is that the Yggorasil DAC is connected to the Dell tower hosting your Roon core, but please confirm.

2. During your troubleshooting of this behavior have you tried using USB 2.0 cable (A Male to B Male) instead of the USB-Optic? If so, what was the experience like?

3. The advice offered by @Rugby is sound (:thumbsup:). We have seen automated Windows updates cause some issues in the past and if this behavior seems to just have appeared out of the blue and nothing has changed in your setup I would recommend checking if there have been any recent Windows updates.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

1. Yes, I The Yggy DAC is connected to the Dell tower hosting my Roon core.

2. My system with this DAC is in another room and is too far away to run a USB cable. The manufacture suggested I use an Optic connection, with a converter to a USB.

3. It did come somewhat out of the blue as it’s been stable for quite a while. I did check and there was a windows update about two weeks ago. It seems to update on a regular basis and I am not surprised with all the ransomware activity. If this is a Windows 10 incompatibility issue with the USB, I am not a computer person and don’t know how to fix a compatibility issues like this.

Kind regards,

Rob

I’m not a Windows person, but this might be a place to start:

https://schiit.com/drivers/

1 Like

Thank you for the idea David.

I tried it and unfortunately , the driver won’t load unless the USB cable is attached. Once I switch to the USB to Optical cable (needed for the long run I have to my DAC), it doesn’t see through the optical cable to see the Schiit DAC and won’t load the driver.

I tried different USB slots in the main computer and it dropped out each time. I even disabled the USB energy management component in Windows. a cool little option in the advanced setting of the power management area on the Control Panel. Still didn’t help. Rats! Thought that was the secret.

I set up a temporary free account for Roon on my back up computer and it worked fine. Same build of Windows on each computer and each computer is a very similar version of Dell. So I guess it’s a USB hardware/configuration issue with the main Computer. The Backup computer is 3-years old, so not that outdated, and is now a dedicated music server. Problem solved.

Strange.

Roon enjoys the dedicated computer with the bandwidth and not sharing the processor or memory with all the other stuff I have.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help me. It’s a frustrating thing when your computer goes down and you have the computer knowledge of a small rock!?!

Kind regards,

Rob