Sorry if my frustration made my earlier post sound a little unfriendly - I so want this to work for me and be a long-term solution, but having invested in a NUC plus Roon, and needing to buy a new iPad to use it the way I want, it is driving me nuts.
NUC 5i5RYK with 128GB SSD and 16GB RAM, with Windows 10 64 bit OS running Roon Build 65
Router: Apple Airport Extreme v7.7.3, with 80 Megabit fibre DSL connection
NAS: Synology DS212 running DSM 5.2-5592
The NAS is usually connected to the router via a Gigabit switch and I use a powerline extender to bring the network downstairs to the NUC, where there is another Gigabit switch that hooks up the network, the NUC and the output, which is to a Devialet 400 running AIR over ethernet cable (that’s a whole different story of pain, by the way, but for another time). However, in order to eliminate the powerline extender as a possible culprit, I did move the NAS downstairs for a while and plug it directly into the switch there - it made no difference whatsoever, so now it is back upstairs. Output is Wasapi, exclusive, event-driven.(I tried changing settings there - no difference)
I also have a MacBook Air, and that runs another Build 65 as a remote and is my preferred method of control until I get a new iPad. That is connected via WiFi, and functionally it is perfect, but when the playback fails, that either shows that it has lost connection with the core, or just that the music has stopped. Usually, pressing play will start it again. However, the NUC is also connected to a display (my TV) and has a mouse, so as part of the troubleshooting, I tried using just the core, with no remote. Same problem - sometimes, the music just stops.
My music was in a watched network folder, but since I had made no library edits, and after re-installing Roon with no improvement, I am in the midst of an experiment:
I completely whacked Roon, including all files and database, from the NUC, and then reinstalled from scratch. I decided to copy my HD content to the SSD on the NUC, into an organized folder. As I type this, that copying is still taking place, but Roon has happily been playing the music, and the library is gradually updating.
Obviously this is not a full solution, since I have a library of almost 1Tb (mostly ALAC 16/44.1)
So, now I don’t know whether I have fixed something by whacking the database, or whether having the files on the local SSD has solved the issue. A little later today, I will go back and set up the library to include the stuff on the NAS, like it was before, and see how it goes.
Unfortunately, it means I have no log files that reflect the problem at the moment, since they all got binned when I deleted everything earlier. However, I have no reason to believe that there is any anomaly or fault with my network or NUC hardware that was causing the problem. I guess I shall just have to be patient and see what happens. After setting up the system originally (September) I had several days when it worked perfectly, then all of a sudden this problem started, and never went away again. (I have disabled Windows update, so nothing is changing on the NUC, and it is not used for any other application)
I would love to have your thoughts and suggestions, but I remain convinced that this is some kind of internal communications issue. I don’t mind doing a modest bit of troubleshooting with you, but I work with computers all day, and this is supposed to be relaxation !
Just tell me what I need to do next !