Roon stops playing music randomly

Hi, I’m fairly new to Roon and still on the trial version. I have the Roon software and core on my Entertainment Mac mini 2.6 GHz with 8 gigs of ram. The Mac, 2 VSSL A6 distribution amps and a Marantz 7013 are all connected to a Draytek gig router. Everything is hard wired including the speakers around the home. My issue is the music will at random stop for a few seconds, continue and then stop again. Then all will be fine for a couple of hours and then It happens again. These issues do not occur using ITunes or JRiver with Airfoil. Any help would be appreciated as this is very frustrating. Thanks so much, Ron

I’ve moved this to support.
In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Hello @Ron_Horwitz, do you experience this issue if you play to the built-in speakers of your mac? How is the core connected to the router?

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Thanks Nuwriy!!

To answer your questions: Do you experience this issue if you play to the built-in speakers of your mac? Yes. When I use the Roon Audio Zones it seems to affect all systems. We have a gigabit hardwired network in our home, using a Draytek Vigor 2926 router with Cisco SG112 gigabit switches. The core is on the Mac Mini, Ethernet connected to the switch/router.

• What’s not working
    • I find that using the ROON audio Zone distribution is overwhelming my network causing audio to pause for several seconds or completely. Also it appears that when the Marantz 7013 is selected via Airplay, it confuses the Mac Mini and after a while no audio passes to the Marantz or thru the MAC. The MAC is set to output to the Marantz, no audio passes and if you unplug the mini plug from the Mac Mini audio will not play out the Mac Mini speakers. The Mac must me re-booted. I have reverted to having Roon output from the core located on the Mac Mini to AirFoil https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/ in order to distribute the airplay audio to our 2 VSSl A6 for audio distribution around our home. https://vssl.com/product/a-6/ If I use the internal Roon Audio Zone distribution, it conflicts with everything on our network, having to reboot the Mac and power cycle the Marantz as no outputs will properly function. I do not have these issue using iTunes or JRiver wth Airfoli. However, using Airfoil we do see the music entering pause on its own and stopping a few times per day.
  • How often does the issue occur
    • Every time I use Roon Zones to play music with the Roon Zone Audio setup. I now have reverted to use Airfoil to resolve most of the issues.
  • This could be “every time I start the app”, or “every time I click a certain button”,etc.
    • This happens every time I use Roon Zones
  • If you’re having a crash or an issue that happens sporadically, it’s helpful if you can let us know an approximate time for when it last happened.
    • See above
  • Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)
    • Core is on the Mac Mini
    • Mac Mini Specs: Late 2014 2.6 GHz, Intel i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, 256 SSD Flash Storage
  • Details on your Remote(s) (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)
    • Roon Remote from Apple App Store
  • Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)
  • Draytek Vigor 2926 router with Cisco SG112 gigabit switches
  • Audio devices in use
  • Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library)
    • Music is stored on an external G-Drive Thunderbolt

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.