Roon stops playing music

@dylan
Not really sure how to check if I have the latest drivers, I am just assuming that this is handled by the OS-update process when new SW/Firmware for my Mac is available. I have however found an article explaining how to reset the sound card. Will try that and report back if that helped.

On the other hand… I experience the same issues when I am using any of my Sonos zones (wifi from Core). But could the sound card still be the issue?

Edit: forgot to mention the number of tracks in my library.
There are 9258 tracks

Hi @Andreas_Andersson,

Have you had a chance to give this a try yet? Is there any change when doing so?

If you use an Ethernet connection for the Sonos zone as a test does the same behavior occur?

Hi @dylan
Findings after soundcard reset: (which was nothing more than killing the core-audio process…)

• before I killed that process Roon lost control of the audio device several times during a couple of minutes
  • once reset the music kept on playing for more than 20-30 minutes before stopping

Coincidence? Maybe…
I will try to play music using iTunes instead to see if I can reproduce. If there indeed are some issues with my soundcard iTunes should have problems playing music as well, right?

@dylan
Update…

Have not been able to verify Sonos with Ethernet yet but I have tested to use iTunes instead of Roon for music.
Result: Same as with Roon (music stops)…

I have been analysing the system log files to try to figure out what is happening when the music stops. I can see that there are calls to the core audio processes (and I realise that I am not alone when I google the issue).

You mentioned that your team saw something regarding the sound card in the log files. What exactly did they see? Where can I find those logs?

Hi @Andreas_Andersson,

The traces that the team saw were in the logs found here. The traces were related to dropouts that the soundcard was experiencing, but beyond that, there wasn’t specific information about issues the soundcard was experiencing.

Since this is occurring with iTunes as well from the same machine, it definitely sounds like something about this Core machine, and possible it’s connection to the network, is causing some issues here.

I would look into any antivirus or firewall that may be active on the Core and see if disabling yields any changes.

I would also try connecting the Sonos devices via Ethernet when possible as a change in how these devices are connecting could resolve this issue and verify whether or not it is networking related.

A post was split to a new topic: Music stops playing

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.