Roon stops responding and crashes when editing queue

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Home | X64 | Intel Q9400 | Roon Version 1.6 Build 416

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet Wired 300 up/down| Nighthawk

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB | Questyle CMA-400i | XMOS 2.0 ASIO

Description Of Issue

Roon stops responding and closes/crashes after adding to queue. It only happens randomly, but consistently when I add tracks or album to the queue/add next/etc. It occurs when there is already other music playing or queue’d to play.

Hi @David_Robinson,

Can you let me know the exact local time + date this behavior next occurs? E.g. 8:12PM on 7/8/19? I would like to take a look at diagnostics from your Core to see if there is any abnormal behavior present.

Also, what exactly are you adding to the queue when this behavior occurs? Is it just local tracks, streaming tracks or both? Is there any pattern on the types of audio files you are adding to the queue causing this behavior? Is there sufficient free space left on your Core’s hard drive?

My HDD has 270+ GB left as free space. It would occur after adding (if I recall correctly) a mix of local music and music from Tidal. Only while playing, or after playing. The action of adding a track alone has never caused it to fail.

I will reply back as well when I can get the issue to repeat. I am trying another device with a different driver (Monolith by Monoprice THX AAA 788) to see if by chance, it has to do with the ASIO driver supplied for my Questyle CMA 400i.

1 Like

It just crashed on me at 9:00 EST (21:00 EST). I skipped several songs in my queue and within 8 seconds of the next song it froze and closed.

Hi @David_Robinson,

Thank you for letting me know that timestamp. I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

Once these are received, I can check to see if there are any clues as to why the issue occurred around the timestamp you mentioned. Please power on your Roon Core when you next have a chance as to establish communication with our diagnostics servers so that this report can be generated.

Just writing to confirm I did use Roon yesterday after work as well as today.

Hi @David_Robinson,

Thanks for reaching out to me again regarding the issue, I can confirm that log files have been received.

I am looking through the log file now and I do see the abrupt end of the log file around 9PM on July 9th, but this appears to be an unmanaged crash, meaning that Roon was forcibly closed before the log file had a chance to save any information regarding as to the reason of the crash.

Our next step here would be to check Windows Event Viewer to see if there are perhaps any clues in that regard. Can you please check for any application errors related to Roon on the 9PM July 9th crash and if there are, can you share a screenshot by using these instructions?

I have attached two screenshots showing the two errors that occurred within 1 second of each other.

Hi @David_Robinson,

From the application error you posted, this issue appears to be related to your graphics card.
I have a few follow-up questions here:

1. Can you please confirm that you are using the newest graphics card drivers for your Core? I would check NVIDIA’s support site for this aspect.

2. Are you running any other graphics-intensive programs at the time this issue occurs? Programs such as Adobe Photoshop or resource intensive video games?

3. What is your graphics card model?

1. I am using the most recent driver
  2. The only other application is Google Chrome browsing forums.
  3. Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB G1

Hi @David_Robinson,

Thank you for letting me know that additional info. I have discussed your case with the technical team, and this issue does appear to be related to your graphics drivers. I have a few further suggestions here:

1. Is there any change in behavior if your roll back your NVIDIA drivers to a previous version? I can’t comment on which version you should try, but it is possible that this is an issue with the newest driver and testing a few of the older drivers may trigger a change in behavior.

2. Is the internal GPU being used for Roon or is the 1050Ti being used for Roon? You can try to see if changing the display driver to use the Internal GPU or force the external GPU has any impact on this issue. Instructions on this kind of configuration can be found here and I would give this a try to see if it helps (if your system supports this).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.