Roon storage undetected / frequent drop off

Hi everyone, I am currently using the following set-up:

1. Synology 923+ - with 4 NAS grade drive installed, set-up using RAID 5 standard and formatted in EXT4
  2. Samsung Evo 4TB SSD (connected via USB rear of Synology 923+) - both roon software and music sits on the same SSD
  3. Netgear Orbi + 1 satellite
  4. Naim Uniti Star

I have since been getting frequent error message of Roon storage undetected on the Roon app via my tablet/phone.

I have to constantly stop and run the roon spk installed on the external Samsung Evo 4TB SSD. And some times it works and some times, i have to stop the Roon software, then disconnect the Samsung Evo SSD, and then re-connect the external SSD, then re-enable the Roon software again for it to work.

Sometimes, I’d have to repeat the above and the connection comes back and sometimes I have to disconnect and stop the software multiple times for the storage to be recognised by the Roon app again.

Can someone advise help on my set-up please? Thank you all in advance.

If you are running Roon on NAS, which is the only officially supported method, the software should be installed using the Roon package manager, and on the same volume as DSM, not on the SSD. The Roon Database can be on the SSD. But the software itself should not be. Perhaps this is what you are doing, but I can’t be 100% sure from your post.

That’s a good point. Both the Roon software and music source are sitting in the SSD. Let me try to install the Roon software on the volume same as on the DSM.

Will keep music source on the SSD. Will keep you posted. Thanks in advance.

And use Synology DSM7 – RoonOnNAS if you aren’t already.

Yes, I am on DSM 7 and RoonOnNAS downloaded from Christopher Rieke’s site.
So far, I’ve reinstalled RoonOnNAS on the NAS native volume whilst keeping the music source on the SSD. It initially disconnected once, but after that the connection seems stable. Hopefully this signifies stability moving forward. Will continue to monitor. Thank you DDPS.

1 Like

A few days later, I am still facing the same drop off issue. This is despite moving the RoonOnNAS software to my native drive on Synology DSM7. I think I will have to leave that be and live with this. Unless I consider buying myself a Nucleus machine from Roon. I believe that’s the most stable setup consideration. Any thoughts anyone?

The only thing that should be on your SSD is your Roon database, and I recommend you connect that via eSATA because DSM doesn’t reliably keep USB connections named the same if you are using more than one USB drive. Your music should be on your RAID storage. Plenty of people have this working very smoothly.

BTW if you want official Roon support, your best bet is to post to Support. We are just regular users trying to help each other in here.

1 Like

Hi @DDPS Thank you so much sharing your knowledge. I do really appreciate it. Let me clarify. When you say Roon database, do you mean these two folder sitting within “RoonOnNAS” and that this entire software/folder should sit on the SSD?

And that all my music is absolutely ok to sit on my NAS drive, which is just a regular SATA spinning harddisk?

Again, I truly appreciate your kind input and advice on this matter/query of mine @DDPS. If it still doesn’t work , I will contact Roon support on their dedicated channel.
Thank you so much in advance.

Yes.

Absolutely. Actually, having it there is vastly preferred because the RAID5 you have is there to provide multiple copies of your data that can be compared and used to ensure data integrity through data scrubbing than the single copy on your SSD.

Read A Roon on (Synology) NAS Primer for more info.

Hi dear DDPS, I wanted to thank you for sharing your knowledge on NAS (RoonOnNAS) set-up with me and I am happy to report that once I moved all my music from the external SSD to my native NAS volume. Roon is now super stable and works every single time!

To your point, the only software that should be only sitting on the SSD is the RoonOnNAS software.

So this is all good now. Thank you so much once again for your generosity on your time on helping to resolve issues like this.

Best, Kevin

I’m glad to hear! Enjoy the music! :notes:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.