Roon Support of Linn (and vice versa)

I can play DSD256 just fine from Roon, as well as DXD (352kHz and 24 or 32 bit) in WAV and FLAC - I don’t have any files at 384kHz.

This is what I’ve got with my Klimax NGDSM:

As you can see, it never goes more than DSD 128.

1 Like

And there is no option to see how high the upsampling can go, and I know it can only upsample it to 192/24 max.

And the painful thing for me is that I’ve been waiting for around 4 years for these upgrades.

I think you do not have the Linn streamer, so it is clear why you can do it with the Lumin.
It is a puzzle to me, considering my Linn streamer cost $40K. :frowning:

I’m not using any DSP/upsampling, just playing native files. Lumin T2 is connected via ethernet with core running on a 2018 Mac mini, then output via XLR to my amp. Here are the audio settings pages for my T2 in Roon:

This is what you said :point_up_2:. If your Linn supports those files, then if everything is set up correctly you should be able to play them using Roon. I was demonstrating that Roon does indeed support these features.

@Imperial_Line - I have a Selekt DSM and that supports up to DSD128. This is the max that Linn support

More information here:

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/DSD_Support

Torben

1 Like

@Geoff_Coupe (& @moderators ) off topic posts, there is a support problem here,

Blockquote
My Linn Klimax DSM/3 supports 384kHz/24 and DSD 256 for more than 4 years, but Roon never bother to update their software to support these features”

…the last few posts would probably be better split off into a support topic.

Thanks in advance .

1 Like

or the Linn leadership. Seen from the outside, it is difficult to understand why Roon should fix the Linn implementation within their software. Looks to me more like a Linn responsibility to get their stuff working with Roon as all other hardware producers do.

I’m pretty sure to fix this Linn need to approach Roon with a view to adjusting the commercial agreement they have for inter working and to submit examples for testing purposes. Normally Roon can determine the capability of end points using RAAT but that isn’t how Linn and Roon work together.
This may already be in progress but Roon won’t comment on this if it is. The best people to approach is Linn. Roon won’t make any announcements until the product is ready to go.

I’ve had a thread open on this since the DSM 3 came out. Here is a recent post from a Linn employee:

It appears that the ball is completely in Roon’s court and they have decided to drop it and let it roll away…

1 Like

@Michael_Faoro, your comment misrepresents what was said in the quoted text, and is therefore inaccurate. The post states that Linn made changes to their network protocol, and as a consequence, Roon has added work to their developmemt backlog to utilize this.

As always, Roon never publishes a timetable for such work.

Please avoid presenting opinion as fact. Thank you.

1 Like

From the Linn employee:

“ …We agreed an approach to advertise this over the network and updated DSM firmware accordingly. The remaining step will be for Roon to update their side to make use of this information. They have confirmed that they intend to do this but (quite reasonably) do not share timescales for internal development work”

Can you help me understand where I have inserted my opinion? Unless you mean my opinion that Roon has dropped the ball? After 3 years of this, I think it’s a reasonable opinion to have and I do not state it as a fact. This forum is full of opinion - do you come down on every one of them so harshly?

And yes, I worked in software my entire career attending scrums, fighting for bugs to be fixed and such. I know the trade offs of development work quite well.

1 Like

Good, so we both agree that this is opinion. Therefore, please do not state this as fact. You do not know what Roon has decided.

Would you suggest we all add a tag before every statement like:

the sky is blue
Roon dropped the ball.

I think it’s pretty obvious without the tags. But, hey…that’s my opinion. Ok, I’ll wander off now and listen to my DSM.

No, I suggest you pay close attention to any moderation and adhere to the forum guidelines. I’ll not respond to further infringements publicly.

Should you have any further questions, contact the moderators directly.

1 Like