Roon/Tidal dropouts. Is this an unsolvable problem? [Solved]

Not quite a good comparison. Just because 1 streaming service works is not a yardstick for others. There are many reasons for that. But, basically your network speed as related to us in way to low to get a good stream.

It doesn’t help ( and I’m basing this on measurements I saw on the Roon forums in another thread) that Tidal when they seem to be sending the information to Roon they are front loading the entire file in large dumps (45 MB dumps) which means you have to have a larger/faster pipe to deal with the data being sent because its dumped on you all at once. Tidal may use a different streaming scheme to their own app, like sending smaller chunks over time instead of all at once.

Depending on what they are doing it can matter a lot. But that is easy to test. Turn off all the other computers / devices that use the internet (Off because they could still be consuming internet traffic if they are on) and only have the computer / devices on that stream from Tidal. Is there a difference?

That sounds like a transient problem with your ISP. Reboot router, check speeds again.

If it’s no better, put a service call in to them.

Ok. Based on my paltry internet numbers if I get the best that Frontier has to offer for internet do you think it will fix this? I’m willing to pay the piper but i’d like it to work. Speedtest rated me an ‘F’ and that means bad.Lol.

We reboot the router often. It helps but…,

I would like to not worry if everybody is using them. Upgrade internet??

If you are having to reboot often, and it bumps your speed then it’s a fault your ISP should be fixing.

Assuming these are the plans you’re referring to, you are currently getting <10x the speeds you’re paying for. I know the quoted speeds on sales pages are “up to” and depends on factors like distance from your exchange, but imo 0.5Mb/s sounds like a fault. Especially with that ping of 98ms - that is bad.

Thank you. I will get Frontier out. Do you know why there are many more acts that i can search for on the Tidal App. opposed to the Roon/Tidal configuration? For instance I can’t even get Led Zeppelin’s music to come up on the laptop and they are easily found on my phone app.

Afraid I don’t. I just did a search for them in Roon and everything appears in the Tidal catalogue, including 5 different versions of Physical Graffiti!

I had to go directly to Tidal to get full access. I looked up Climax Blues Band on Roon and nothing. Tidal directly had tons of albums. Could this be related to my internet?

Are you definitely looking the Tidal Albums tab?

I think there some other instances on the forums where Tidal hasn’t synced fully with Roon for some reason. Try logging out of your Tidal account within Roon, then logging back in.

Yes. I couldn’t even get Led Zeppelin to search.

I have figured out my search issue. Operator error. Tidal/Roon is actually working this morning so I guess I’ll see what happens.

I have new internet service and Roon/Tidal is awesome now. Thank to the people who responded. Your help was great!

3 Likes

Congratulations! You’ve got a lot of music discovery and enjoyment ahead of you.

Excellent news.

That’s good news Mike, and now I get to write [Solved] in the title of the thread … :wink:

1 Like