Roon trial - Missing Artist Images

Hello,
I am running my first Roon trial. Setup ROCK on NUC and all good. However, I noticed that about 50% of Artist images are missing. I am not talking about “unknown” artists but for example Adele, A-Ha, Tina Turner, Beastie Boys, Ozzy Osbourne…etc.
So far I tried some suggestions I found searching this forum but still no go. I resulted to complete re-install of ROCK and Roon, removing all songs and adding them back but nothing seemed to help.

Any idea? Help will be greatly appreciated, I really enjoy Roon instead of my current Volumio (which by the way, downloads 100% of Artist images correctly).

Thank you
Tomas

Roon relies on certain external metadata services to pull artwork. It does a good job but often these services do have big holes and you will have blanks. But it sounds more like it’s not pulling any, this is generally down to it having difficulty connecting to Roons cloud services Check your firewall is allowing Roon to pass through completely. As a quick test disable it to see if it helps but remember to put it back on afterwards.

Also if the albums are not properly identified due to bad metadata it will also not pull images as it wont associate the albums with the artist.

What formats are these in? Do they have good metadata, does Roon say it’s unidentified? You can use a focus on albums section to find unidentified albums. By choosing identified as one of the filters from Inspector section then click on the + to make it a - and it will show them all.

Has it finished doing the import?

What are your DNS settings?

Roon does take some time to populate the images if they are not contained in the media files…your internet speed will be the determining factor of how this progresses.

Thank you for the reply. My Network setting is fine. I only have 1500 songs on InternalStorage of the ROCK server. About 60% images are good, just missing a bunch. It has been more than 24 hours since I copy my songs over. Every page of Artists looks like the one in the screenshot.
THanks
Tomas

Please try Simon’s suggestion of selecting Unidentified albums in your library to check whether these are the ones giving no artist images.

The artists you quote (Adele, A-Ha, Tina Turner, Beastie Boys, Ozzy Osbourne) are all known to Roon and have images…

Somethings amiss, there are definitely artists pics for Tina Turner and Toni Braxton.

Perhaps the database is still populating? If this seems to be taking a while, try changing your DNS to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 (as suggested by @wizardofoz). You can also click the 3 dots on an artist page, select edit, and you’ll see “photo” where you can either select Roon’s image or drop in your own.

Thank you for the reply. Changing the DNS has no effect, why would it? Why would some artist images need different DNS than others. About 60% of my music has artist image. I have no “unidentified” albums in my library. All albums and tracks are showing correctly with all metadata including album art, title, track number etc. None of my songs were skipped during import. All my music is on the ROCK server in InternalStorage SSD drive. I would think 24 hours for 1500 songs should be enough time to process?
I am using the same music files in different players on different computers or devices such as Volumio, iTunes, Music Bee and all those devices have no problem downloading the Artist images for all of my songs.

Any other suggestions? Thank you all for your help.
Tomas

Hmmmm, sorry about the issues you are having, that’s frustrating! 24 hours is plenty of time. 1500 songs should not take long at all. If you go to the magnifying glass at the top right of the screen and enter “Tina Turner” what shows up? Is it this? Or do you get a result with no image? Do you use Tidal or Qobuz? Thanks!

This may well be so, but have they been Identified as album releases by Roon? If Roon fails to recognise an album release, it will mark it as Unidentified, and then use the file metadata to construct an album as best it can. In such cases, it may not be able to retrieve all the online metadata (including artist images) that is held in the Roon Labs cloud.

That’s why we’ve asked you to use your Album browser and the Focus tool to see if there are Unidentified albums in your library.

Even if they are unidentified it will use the local metadata and artwork in the files. I have several that Roon won’t identify as the albums are not in the Roon metadata database and they still show up in Roon it’s just no idea who or what they are. This can happen even with known artists if the albums are not matching exactly. This can be down to the duration of one track showing as being different. I have had some releases by well known artists not be identified and either managed to get Roon to identify it by modifying the metadata or by manually matching by overriding one thing.

This may not be the issue but it’s worth fully investigating first using focus filter to show any identified albums and change it to - to show unidentified. if you don’t have any after this then it time to get @support involved.

I’ve just remembered, I had a huge problem when I started with Roon as “Album Artist” was missing from my local music files, I’d unknowingly used “Track Artist” instead. Manual tweaking with a tag editor outside of Roon fixed these issues, though it was a tedious start.

1 Like

Hey @Tomas_Fischer,

Welcome to the Roon community :wave:

We’re happy to have you try out Roon - thanks for all the effort you’re putting in setting up Roon and for engaging with our very helpful Roon subscriber on this thread :pray: (thanks everyone!).

Could you please share a bit more detail about your setup for our technicians?

• Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
  • Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
  • Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Rebeka,

Sure thing.
Core:
Intel NUC7i5BNH (RAM: 16GB, M.2 128GB, SanDisk SSD 2TB) Running ROCK (latest version). Connected via Ethernet cable to switch.

Network:
Ethernet Switch - Cisco Catalyst 3560 8 Port Gigabit Switch POE - WS-C3560CG-8PC-S
Wireless - Cisco AIR-SAP2602E-x-K9: Dual-band autonomous 802.11a/g/n
Firewall - Netgate pfSense v. 2.5.1

Audio:
DAC: NUC Core via USB to miniDSP SHD
Amp: Benchmark AHB2

Thank you for your help
Tomas

Hello @Tomas_Fischer,

I cannot believe that I did not see your post until today :woman_facepalming: - this is definitely embarrassing. I had counted on automatic notifications and, either it was not sent, or I simply did not see it. Either way, an apology is in order - I am sorry!

You had mentioned being on a free trial. Do you still have access to Roon?

Hi Rebeka,

No apologies necessary. Better late than never :slight_smile:
Yes I subscribed to Roon and learned to live with the fact that some of my artist images are missing…

Thanks for your reply
Tomas

1 Like

Hey @Tomas_Fischer, you are too kind :blush: . Thank you!

I’m hoping you won’t have to live with the missing artist images for too long. I’ve looped in our technical team - I’m sure they will have some helpful insights :nerd_face: