Roon TUI: A Roon Remote for the terminal - New: Zone Presets (v0.3.1)

Loving this. A couple of thoughts:

1. I can’t figure out how to turn on queue shuffle?

2. How about adding a global binding of “?” to shift to a help screen giving the key bindings – any key to return to the normal display.

3. Search seems idiosyncratic. Usually works if I search for the same thing twice in row. First search seems to return nothing; subsequent one returns results.

2 Likes

This is perfect for me. I have 8 days left on my free trial and the only deal breaker was no easy way to control the music from my laptop. Working great on Debian Trixie.
Many thanks for making this.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

It hasn’t been implemented yet. At the start of the project I implemented displaying of the current state for Shuffle and Repeat, but haven’t got to implementing a toggle for these settings. I will keep it in mind for a future update.

This is the most requested feature, and it makes perfect sense. I like your suggestion for the global keybinding to request a help screen. I will see if I can include this in the next release.

I tried a few searches but got results on the first request. If you start Roon TUI with verbose logging (see project readme) then this might provide a hint. You can PM me the log.

1 Like

Welcome to the Roon Community @r5yk5!

Nice to hear that Roon TUI can make the difference during Roon evaluation :slight_smile:

Makes sense. I’ll see what I can find out. Maybe it’s due to the issues with Roon Search reported a few days ago.

Version 0.2.0 of Roon TUI is now available!

This release brings a few new features, the first being an integrated help page listing all the key bindings. Operating Roon TUI without referencing the project README should now be possible!

Thanks @Nathan_Wilkes, @Johnny_Ooooops, @Bill_Janssen for pointing out the relevance of this feature!

Another new feature is the grouping of zones, check the help screen for key bindings :slight_smile: :

If the symbols as shown in the left screenshot are not displayed correctly by the terminal then they can be replaced with normal text by using the --no-unicode-symbols as a command line parameter.

Full Changelog

• Implement zone grouping
  • Add option to prevent use of unicode symbols
  • Verify actual grouping change
  • Implement some help texts to smoothen first use
  • Map queue mode to primary output_id instead of zone_id, grouped zone_…
  • Update README to version 0.2.0 status
  • Refactor implementation of Roon interfacing
  • Implement help screen
4 Likes

Hi Jan
Still blocking file access on download for me in Chrome (Windows 11 23H2) but just renaming the file with a .zip extension sorts that (this is more for someone that stumbles upon the release).

The new integrated help is super useful for someone who dabbles with this now and then.
It is becoming a very usable client now thanks

3 Likes

@Jan_Koudijs seriously this is getting to be hot stuff (a serious compliment). Not going to lie, this is only 10% of my current controller usage, but when the main iOS remotes are ticking me off (because they’re losing network connection on app sleep and not waking up again), I just roon-tui and relax and listen to music. Thank you.

3 Likes

This project got me somewhat interested in Rust at a different level

Here is some love for cargo; the rust package and build manager

If you just want to run roon-tui

cargo run

If you’d like to install roon-tui

cargo build --release
cp target/release/roon-tui /usr/local/bin/

In case you did not hear the Dutch Syd Barrett yet: Ton Vlasaman is the name, only one record AFAIK. Pink Floyd - Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun comes to mind when listening to this.

It’s a security feature of Chrome, here is a related article. Not sure what would be the user friendly way for distributing a Windows executable.

1 Like

Yes I understood that and hard to argue with what is being done for most users.
Anyone that wants to defeat it can, maybe worth putting something on your page about it (or maybe you have and I just didn’t see it).

Been really enjoying using this latest version, the help has been really good at reminding what keys do what :+1:

My computers have sun, penguins, daemons, and apples; my house on the other hand has windows.

1 Like

I have Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android at my house, and use all of them.

And my house has windows and doors as well :grin:

1 Like

@Jan_Koudijs , a small possible typo. In the Help file, to quit is likely Ctrl-c ?

Screenshot 2023-11-29 165133

1 Like

Noticed to same, but forgot to report in. For a terminal app, Ctrl-c makes more sense to me also.

Will be fixed in the next one.

1 Like

Just wanted to say that for work I’ve started using Asahi Linux (arm64) on a Mac M1 Max, and being able to find a (hacky) way to keep my music going on my work laptop with arm64 Roon Bridge + Roon TUI is one reason why I’m still a happy subscriber, since there’s no arm64 Linux build of the Roon UI ATM.

Thanks!

1 Like

I came across this Ratatui list again and took action, Roon TUI is included now!

1 Like

Version 0.3.0 of Roon TUI is now available!

The previous v0.2.0 release brought zone grouping to Roon TUI, this release brings a feature that extends on that and has its own feature request for the official Roon Remote. The feature being the saving of a grouped zone for later restoring.

The workflow is pretty straightforward, in the Grouping Popup (Ctrl-g) the required outputs of the group are selected after with the s key is pressed, providing an input field for the name of the saved grouping. Then Enter to set the name, and Enter to activate the group.

save-preset

Now the zone list (Ctrl-z) uses the set name for the active group, but also the individual outputs are on the list to allow for easy ungrouping. Outputs are surrounded by angle brackets in the zone list, while inactive groupings (presets) are surrounded by square brackets in the zone list.

Inactive groupings can be deleted by selecting one and pressing the Delete key

zone-selection

If you make use of grouped zones, then please give this a try and let me know what you think.

Other changes

The Repeat and Shuffle setting can now be changed. With the Now Playing view selected, repeat and shuffle can be toggled by respectively the r and the s key. This was lacking functionality and was asked about by @Bill_Janssen.

There is a bug fixed that prevented browsing the library when there are no zones available. Thanks @Nepherte for reporting this.

Full Changelog

• #7 Ability to browse library when no zone is present / selected
  • Implement repeat and shuffle toggling
  • Implement save/restore of grouped zones
  • Have outputs of grouped zone in zone list
  • Update README to version 0.3.0 status
  • Implement deleting of zone preset
  • Update to rust-roon-api 0.1.1
  • Update Ratatui to v0.25.0
5 Likes

RT no longer saves the playing state (zone, current playlist).

• Start with empty config file
  • Pair, select profile, zone, play sth
  • Quit & restart: pairing is restored, however configured zone and playlist are gone

This used to work, also with 0.3.0.